Smart Phone Or Iphone?

Channel595

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Def Iphone

Can't wait till they make an OBD2 app so I can make diagnostics with my phone... Hold on! Didn't they already do that???

Yes, I have seen it twice in Popular Mechanics now. It's been out for at least 3-4 months that I know of. $99 but I don't know all what it does. My take on buying an OBD2 reader is either buy the most basic one that can read the code and clear the CEL (all most people need) or buy the top of the line that gives you real time running data. A basic one runs about $50 so don't waste $ on anything in between.

B

Can't pass this one up! :lol:

phoneusers.jpg

I'm not a big fan of iProducts to begin with, but that aside, I like androids more. HTC's Android phones attract my attention more than the others.

I know couple people with iPhones and have played with them (not the 4 though) and I just like the HTC interface more :shrug:

But I own an old Samsung flip phone (been shopping around though, jut don't like the idea of a new contract, after being out of one for 3 or four years now :nono: )

I have had Android (HTC/Tmobile G1, Samsung Behold 2, and now a HTC/Tmobile Mytouch 3g slide), Blackberry (Bold 9700), and Windows (HTC HD2). They all have their strong points, the Blackberry was great when I was a supervisor at a call center, as it had a good keyboard that was easy to respond to full emails on, and email integration was awesome. Android's are great for the "play phone" standpoint, now that I dont need a phone for business, I love the android with the games, music, and youtube standpoints. The windows was a good all around phone, but not best at anything... Except for document editing with native windows programs.

Before when iPhones were AT&T only I would have only suggested Android, but now that Verizon is getting the iPhone that's different.

Personally I like the Android phones. Lots of choices for look and feel of the phone, plus very good app support. One downside is that you are basically giving your life to Google. Of course same goes for the iPhone and Apple. From a data privacy standpoint blackberry seems to be the best choice.

Also just to give my thoughts on AT&T

215485223_tqya9-L-2.jpg

I still wouldn't get an IPhone with VZW. I was a supervisor there, if you dont screw people over, you get in trouble. Plain and simple. I had the option for free service when I was with them, and stuck with Tmobile.

I have a DROID X and i love it. 8 mp camera hd output for looking at pictures or streaming videos to a tv. huge screen for videos or games but the battery does die if used heavily with the screen on. But i can stream pandora radio all day at work and still have a little battery left.

• 3 months later...

Ok follow up to my question. I got the evo shift and I would have to say that droid is the biggest piece of crap ever made. I can honestly say almost everything doesent work on it. I searched and asked my other friends why does this app just stop working and the answer is "it happens" lol. Welcome to the chevrolet of phones. First chance I get I'm going I phone.

Ok follow up to my question. I got the evo shift and I would have to say that droid is the biggest piece of crap ever made. I can honestly say almost everything doesent work on it. I searched and asked my other friends why does this app just stop working and the answer is "it happens" lol. Welcome to the chevrolet of phones. First chance I get I'm going I phone.

shoulda never got the evo shift... its the POS brother of the EVO. the evo is better, for only 50$ more here. and its not as crappy... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Droid X and X2 are great reliable phones, no crashing issues on either. The wife had two different blackberries and they were awful, crash all the time lock up and battery would just die unexpectedly. Personally I'd like to see what the iphone5 or whatever is next to come out, the iphone4 just can't compete with my droid. It'd just be nice if apple came out with more than one kind of phone so you could have more of a variety than 16 or 32gb.

My work phone is Iphone 4 and my paersonal is a Motorola samrt phone. The i phone has been through 2 back cases and 1 screen in 2 months and the motorola has fallen fron a second story window with no problems. the android apps are better to

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a DROID X2.......AND IT IS ******* AWESOME!!!!

It's Android with Froyo 2.2 and is dual core!

Now Froyo can't handle both cores, so it's only using one(but it's still fast as hell). And we just got an SBF file leaked, so as soon as we bet the bootloader unlocked, we should get new ROMs that handle both cores, and then it will be faster than hell!!!!

I'd suggest it as a smart phone. You can do sooooo much more with it that the iPhone. I can connect to my media server and copy music, pics, movies, documents, etc. off it straight to my phone! I can even get into my iTouch with it and copy things either to my phone or over to my iTouch!!!

It's the best phone now, and it will be soooo much better when CM comes out with a new custom ROM!!!

I have been thinking of getting a droid but my contract is on the wrong side of the droid phone release dates. Every time a really cool droid comes out I get really excited and by the time it is time to get a new phone the iPhone is better so I have kept the iPhone for a few years now.

They both have their good and bad sides. What I like the most about the iPhone is that it has the cleanest UI. But I also have a mac and syncing from a mac to a droid is a major pain in the ass! So I am biased. Some would even say that I drink the cool aid.

update from me, the touch screen keyboard is becoming unbearable and the native email client for the iphone is a really basic p.o.s. and things like attaching an image or document to an email is such a stupid process. I also have the most annoying echo of my voice during conversations so the voice quality is lacking too (im on vigin mobile which is an mvno on the bell network). Push notifications for everything except foursquare and txt msgs are garbage as well too. This phone doesn't get anything pushed to it until you turn the app on. The otterbox defender case works awesome, but the phone is too big and clumsy to throw in your pocket and go out for the night. All these negatives mean I don't really give a ........ about the big screen or the fancy camera or any games(i don't play them on the phone anyhow) or apps. I will miss Gas Cubby and animated radar screens, reading the news and maybe pr0n, but i don't care and I'm going back to BlackBerry and finding a 9100 Pearl. I thought the iphone would be good to combine a camera, ipod, phone and email into one, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Blackberry for me when it comes to phonecalls, email and push notifications. Maybe i will get an ipod touch again, but no more iphones or any other phone with a stupid touchscreen keyboard. :thumbsdown:

Edited by nige

update from me, the touch screen keyboard is becoming unbearable and the native email client for the iphone is a really basic p.o.s. and things like attaching an image or document to an email is such a stupid process. I also have the most annoying echo of my voice during conversations so the voice quality is lacking too (im on vigin mobile which is an mvno on the bell network). Push notifications for everything except foursquare and txt msgs are garbage as well too. This phone doesn't get anything pushed to it until you turn it on. The otterbox defender case works awesome, but the phone is too big and clumsy to throw in your pocket and go out for the night. All these negatives mean I don't really give a ........ about the big screen or the fancy camera or any games(i don't play them on the phone anyhow) or apps. I will miss Gas Cubby and animated radar screens, reading the news and maybe pr0n, but i don't care and I'm going back to BlackBerry and finding a 9100 Pearl. I thought the iphone would be good to combine a camera, ipod, phone and email into one, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Blackberry for me when it comes to phonecalls, email and push notifications. Maybe i will get an ipod touch again, but no more iphones or any other phone with a stupid touchscreen keyboard. :thumbsdown:

The DROID X2 has an awesome touchscreen keyboard, with 2 different input types (can always get more), but if you want a slide out, I'd say get the DROID! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I am officially off the iPhone4 and back on a BlackBerry (9100). Here's my PIN for my fellow BB owners, add me to chit chat on BBM! 23210D39. It's so nice to have a real keyboard and a good email client. :itsallgood:

BTW if anyone wants it, I am selling my iPhone 4 32GB. It's spent it's life (since Nov '10) in an Otterbox Defender case so it's in mint condition except for a 1/2" hairline scratch on the back. I will wipe the device, clean it up, pack it in the original box with all the accessories and the Otterbox case and sell for $500. PM me if you're interested in buying it.

update from me, the touch screen keyboard is becoming unbearable and the native email client for the iphone is a really basic p.o.s. and things like attaching an image or document to an email is such a stupid process. I also have the most annoying echo of my voice during conversations so the voice quality is lacking too (im on vigin mobile which is an mvno on the bell network). Push notifications for everything except foursquare and txt msgs are garbage as well too. This phone doesn't get anything pushed to it until you turn the app on. The otterbox defender case works awesome, but the phone is too big and clumsy to throw in your pocket and go out for the night. All these negatives mean I don't really give a ........ about the big screen or the fancy camera or any games(i don't play them on the phone anyhow) or apps. I will miss Gas Cubby and animated radar screens, reading the news and maybe pr0n, but i don't care and I'm going back to BlackBerry and finding a 9100 Pearl. I thought the iphone would be good to combine a camera, ipod, phone and email into one, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Blackberry for me when it comes to phonecalls, email and push notifications. Maybe i will get an ipod touch again, but no more iphones or any other phone with a stupid touchscreen keyboard. :thumbsdown:

1 word: Swype. The best way to input text on a touchscreen. Have it on my Xperia Play (Android 2.3.3) and it's awesome.

It's not so much the typing part as it is the screen hogging. Being able to only display 2 lines of text because the keyboard takes up 75% of the screen is what really bothered me. No wonder these phones need such a big screen :thumbsdown:

photovt.png

I know it's only skype, but most of the things like emails, txt, IM, website forms and forums are affected by the lunker keyboard.

On a side note, i did try the swipe typing on a co-workers galaxy, and I liked it better than the old tap-tap-tap of most other virtual keyboards out there.

I just got a Droid 3 (upgraded from my LG Choc Touch) yesterday and I LOVE IT! takes great pics, the apps are FREE (with iPhone you pay for certain aps),is easy enough even i can sorta figure it out lol

so far i am very happy with it!

Droid3.jpg

the guy told me Verizon are going to do away with the unlimited stuff, but my i'net bill went down!

and they're doing away with the annual and bi-annual free upgrades.

I got this phone (new) for $180 :jig:

Edited by Slick