Smart Phone Or Iphone?

Channel595

So i have been looking around at a new cell phone plan for a while and pretty much i am torn between 2 major decisions: a smart phone(droid) or a iphone. The plan you pick is almost the same price, so my decision is whether to pick a smart phone or a iphone the main reason i want an iphone is because i own an itouch and i love it, but it can only play flash if you jailbreak it. tell me what you have to say about it, anything helps.

Edited by Channel595

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a droid, with sprint. in my experiances between apple and droid, my droid is faster at actions than my ipod touch and my friends iphone 3g. but im not sure about the 4g iphone...

I also don't like i anything. Even ignoring that Android phones are faster and more versatile. I've got a Droid 2 and it rocks. dancingDroid.gif Someone that's seriously into this stuff told me the i Phone 4 is two years behind the current Android stuff... but I know nothing of Apple stuff so take that for what it's worth!

I have a 3gS iphone, but am not some iDork "apple iz bestest" person. Honestly go into the stores and play around a while with all your different choices (not just 5 minutes). Pick the one that suits YOUR needs/wants best and that's most user friendly to you. that's where it matters

And even though apple phones are their own "special" (using term loosly) breed, they are still 'smart phones'

i have the iphone4. im scared to take it out of the case or i'll drop it. i had an ipod touch and macbook pro before this so i was pretty entrenched in itunes and general apple stuff. If you like your ipod touch, keep it for your mp3 player. The samsung devices that run android are very nice, but i personally don't like the android UI. i am used to the blackberry UI and the iphone UI as well as the windows phone (very nice). the iphone4 takes a new micro sim card, so that means it's tricky to use it on phones that use the current sim cards if you want the ability to easily swap devices. Micro sim cards will start appearing on more new phones.

Go check out blackberry torch too. Most of the guys in my office use one. If the keyboard slid out widthwise, i would like it even more, but it has a keyboard, optical track pad and a touchscreen for input. they also have bbm which is an excellent chat client between the blackberry users.

If you are heavy into security, email and voice, and lots of your friends already have one, get a blackberry

If you do your communication with text, social networks, skype, msn messenger, try an android, iphone or windows phone.

both groups of phones make a good backup for a laptop. don't get too hung up on browsing speed. it's more dependent on the quality of your 3g coverage unless you live in a big city. Open source isn't always a good thing.

the negative things i say about the iphone:

-expensive

-no native flash support (gets annoying when browsing the web)

-i will never get used to the touchscreen keyboard. its annoying to type on it and covers most of the screen when in use

-stuck with itunes (kinda restrictive)

-stuck with internal memory and battery

-seems very fragile. no case = it would get damaged if you dropped it on any surface harder than glass

-msn messenger is terrible

Things i like:

-screen is pretty nice

-video recording is decent quality

-fast

-decent battery life

-lots of choices for apps

-looks nice *shrugs*

-good if you have a mac as your primary computer

if i didn't mention anything, it means that the iphone doesn't stand apart from any other particular smartphone i've used

Edited by nige

The samsung devices that run android are very nice, but i personally don't like the android UI.

Keep in mind the Android UI is going to vary by manufacturer.

Samsung touch wiz

HTC Sense

Motorola Motoblur

Etc

If you want more of a "pure android" experience, look into the T-Mobile G2 or the Google Nexus S. Otherwise these companies overlay their own ui on top of the Android/Linux os.

On cases - I personally prefer Otterbox. :)

Edited by Harbinger

I love my Blackberry, had a curve for along time then upgraded to a Tour about a year ago. As Nige said, I can't stand touchscreen so I like the qwerty keyboard on the BB. Plus them Droids and iphones tend to break when dropped. Ive abused my BB doing construction, and have rebuilt it several times, as parts are dirt cheap.

I had the old Iphone for two and a half years with no case and never broke it. It was the first phone I ever had that lasted the two year contract, except for the big ass Motorola bag phone from the 90s. I upgraded to the 4G and love it too! I never had any other smart phone so I cant really compare. I have apps that I use at work that I couldn't do without, and even a ballistics app that helps me hit those far away targets with what ever I'm shooting. I wouldn't give up my Iphone for anything!

James

i have an ipod touch 3rd gen, and a blackberry curve. personally the ipod design is just a toy. i have had blackberry curve's for the last 4 years, just got one with the new optical track on it (the ball finally got retired) and i love it. and i have a blackberry storm as backup in case anything were to happen to it. my new curve has been through literal hell, dropped, kicked, i think i even ran it over once. still kickin like new. and my storm is an unlocked verizon blackberry (btw, verizon is giving the unlock codes to them for free, idk why..) and it is an all steel body. never knew that.

but like some others were sayin, its all a matter of personal preference. my brother uses a storm, and my other brother has the samsung galaxy s (which the HD screen on that thing is SICK!) but the difference between blackberry, the droid series, and the iphones is pretty massive, even though droid ui is based on apple tech.

play with them, find a main branch with fully activated demo phones, and use them as you would be using it yourself, then deicde which from there.

a side note, most droids (not android, as they are ususally smaller phones), have a pretty small battery life, ranging less than 24 hours, depending on usage.

I love my Blackberry, had a curve for along time then upgraded to a Tour about a year ago. As Nige said, I can't stand touchscreen so I like the qwerty keyboard on the BB. Plus them Droids and iphones tend to break when dropped. Ive abused my BB doing construction, and have rebuilt it several times, as parts are dirt cheap.

Several android phones have physical qwerty keyboards. It was a requirement for me dropping a blackberry for Android. :)

I actually like it better because it places the keyboard in the landscape layout. If you have big hands the BB portrait keyboards can be rather cramped.

i love my droid one I would highly recommend it or the newer one. Like others have said not many of the new phones will have regular android they all over their own overlay to the OS. I also recommend it because i hate apple and at&t (expensive and get ****** coverage). Apps also seem to be cheaper for android and they are easier to make so i bet the android market will surpass the iphone someday

Edited by edicer2