O2 Sensor

giddyuppony

So the engines service light came, so I took in to the shop for a little check up. Turns out that one of the O2 sensors is dead. From my conversation with the mechanic there are 4 in total, 2 for each cat. Now my question is are these difficult to change out, and is it a bit deal if I dont replace them??

thanks,

I went for a while without changing one, but they can affect your MPG. It's very simple to change. One end is a plug that plugs in to the left of the engine (I think). The other end is the sensor that simply gets screwed into the cat. I believe it is either a 21mm or 22mm wrench you need to screw it in. Here are a few tips:

1) Soak the sensor end on the CAT the night before with PB blaster of some sort. It makes it A LOT easier

2) Tape the plug end of the new O2 sensor to the sensor end of the old O2 sensor. This way you can pull the old one out from the engine bay, and the new one will follow the exact path of the old one and you can just plug it in

Edited by exit34rocker1017

I went for a while without changing one, but they can affect your MPG. It's very simple to change. One end is a plug that plugs in to the left of the engine (I think). The other end is the sensor that simply gets screwed into the cat. I believe it is either a 21mm or 22mm wrench you need to screw it in. Here are a few tips:

1) Soak the sensor end on the CAT the night before with PB blaster of some sort. It makes it A LOT easier

2) Tape the plug end of the new O2 sensor to the sensor end of the old O2 sensor. This way you can pull the old one out from the engine bay, and the new one will follow the exact path of the old one and you can just plug it in

Should they be replaced in pairs? What's the best place to buy a new O2 sensor?

I have replaced all of mine, I will say that both passenger side ones are real easy. The driver rear is real easy. The driver precat is a royal pain the ass. I could not get do it from any direction as I have large forearms. I found a Pathy owner awhile ago while living in Butte, MT that owned his own shop and was a skinny fella. He managed to squeeze his arm under the brake booster all the way down to the cat. An O2 sensor socket will help on this one in particular as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Any way that you might be able to post some photos?