What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Easiest way to go to disc brakes in my opinion is to just swap the whole axle assembly. My local salvage yards sell complete axle assemblies for about $75, so just makes sense to me. Also need the master cylinder and park brake cables, but for less than $200, a simple and inexpensive way to upgrade the brakes. 
Unfortunately my only option is to piece it all together. I've never seen an LE or even a wd21 with rear discs in my area. I guess I could ship one in but I'd like to find a local one to make sure I get everything I need for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, adamzan said:

If you were close I'd sell you the 4.63 disc rear end out of my parts truck. It even had new pads/rotors/calipers shortly before I parked it!

Where are you located? I'm located in Eastern NC 28557

• 2 weeks later...

Got all my trailing arm bushings replaced. The upper link bushings popped out with a rubber mallet of all things...

Also I found a kit on ebay for all 8 for about $80 if anyone else is about to do this. Got them in 3 days and they're much beefier looking than what was in mine originally.99b8c7524b6d90655c4f26b1c6c380a4.jpge9cc3c3ca4dc82152edca7cc70b14ec0.jpgb2fbb06211f626678c97961c6fd219af.jpga70cc5027875314f9763e2e74f073299.jpg

The original ones would have looked like that when they were new 30 years ago

I'm in Ontario Canada, probably not worth the shipping lol
It's amazing how much different it rides with those bushings replaced. Theres still play in the steering box but over all it's much more predictable when on the road now since the back isn't going in an opposing direction through a dip or bump

That job is next on the list for mine. I replaced the ones in my old truck with polyurethane ones but it made the ride harsh. I'll be going with rubber this go-round. Right now the rear end wobbles when you shift gears.

That's what mine started doing you could dump the clutch from an idle and the axle would shift a good inch or so.

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the panhard bar bushings as well? It's just those 2 spots and every single bushing will have been replaced lol

Ahhh, finally no more clunking up front! F’n sway bar bushings were the culprit. I thought it was an incorrectly installed passenger strut (actually that’s probably still true...)

No more avoiding rough road stuff on the passenger side and I can finally just drive the damn thing.

Now if I can get slop out of the steering I’ll be golden.

Nice! Must be a relief. What I've done to track down steering slop is to have someone hold the steering shaft with vise grips while I try to wiggle the wheel, then work downstream until the slop shows itself. A friend and I used this method to diagnose his S10 with a worn-out joint in the tilt column (which looks like it'll be a right pain to replace). If it's tight up to the rack, check the rack bushings.

Also check the rack mounts, common R50 issue from what I've read. Went out on my dad's Tundra too.

I have actually done that. Its response to turning the steering wheel is instant all the way to the tires. I can actually feel a little bit of a response inside the slop when I’m driving, it’s almost like the 1/2-1 inch slop makes my vehicle lean/tilt up/down but doesn’t change the trajectory of travel. 

I end up with variations in the pitch of the road requiring back and forth changes in steering wheel position. I mean the same thing happens in any vehicle but I end up moving the steering wheel 2-3 inches back and forth to drive in a straight line instead of 1/4-1/2 inch adjustments.

I have new:

control arms w/ bushings

sway bar bushings

sway bar end links

struts

rack and pinion bushings

tie rods ends inner and outer

ball joints

Edited by onespiritbrain

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 10:44 AM, RCWD21 said:

Got all my trailing arm bushings replaced. The upper link bushings popped out with a rubber mallet of all things...

Also I found a kit on ebay for all 8 for about $80 if anyone else is about to do this. Got them in 3 days and they're much beefier looking than what was in mine originally.99b8c7524b6d90655c4f26b1c6c380a4.jpge9cc3c3ca4dc82152edca7cc70b14ec0.jpgb2fbb06211f626678c97961c6fd219af.jpga70cc5027875314f9763e2e74f073299.jpg

You pounded out the old bushings with a rubber mallet? And I’d love a link to the bushings 

• 4 weeks later...

Today I changed oil, added a rack guard, serviced the transmission, transfer case, and diffs. Installed new blower motor, cabin air filters, and fuel filter.

And I made a missing link; 1-1/4" solid stock with 1/4" tabs, need to do little grinding and drill the holes.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my diff back from the shop all new bearings and races, also the speed sleeve was worn. I installed most of it today just working on my old backing plates, since they are impossible to find, plus I can never justify the shipping. Lots of patience and looking back in my photos. I also re loomed the speedo cable with some braided stuff. Next project is doing the braided loom to the entire engine harness, lots of connections and fun! 1ef766011e920ccd30245529cf073a2e.jpga18a000fb9877f1b3f29d3ade890fd67.jpg

31acdd9a893cebf7350b23408986f0a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you like blue! Hopefully the frame's getting some attention too, that second to last picture reminds me of my '95.

Yesterday I pulled all the junk out of the back of mine and had a go at cleaning the manky carpet. It didn't come out looking like new, but doesn't look like I slaughtered a pig on it anymore, so that's an improvement. Then I started looking at the ammo can console I made a while ago and never got around to painting, and decided to upholster the thing. Apart from the vinyl being way too light and the squishy foam making it feel like Grandma's toilet seat, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

50250430676_2a85a394e1_k_d.jpg

Oh, and I picked up little pieces of blue plastic from pretty much everywhere after leaving a lighter on the dashboard in direct sunlight and 105° heat. Pro tip, don't do that. They explode.

• Like 2

eb80945e99893853e554a78119741aac.jpg3e502c58bb471efa4895049b2c1b1635.jpg86015d728e982adbf5bae167705eada2.jpg
A couple weeks ago I was able to strip down an R50 bought as a parts truck that was headed off to the JY that afternoon. Since I expect to have my truck another 10-15 years, some of this will be replacement parts if needed. I plan to use some of the trim pieces to experiment on where & how to place mounts & to attempt to reclaim some of wasted space in the body walls. Finally, it was a great opportunity to just dissect the interior & see what was under everything. I took a ton of reference photos for the future. You can imagine how excited my wife was when I came home....45db092ce0a82858b59dc94687445c5a.jpg1ff3edb46929035097a804f919b4d2dd.jpg00883f1dbecc09ce63a16bdc77033d15.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, RainGoat said:

A couple weeks ago I was able to strip down an R50 bought as a parts truck that was headed off to the JY that afternoon. Since I expect to have my truck another 10-15 years, some of this will be replacement parts if needed. I plan to use some of the trim pieces to experiment on where & how to place mounts & to attempt to reclaim some of wasted space in the body walls. Finally, it was a great opportunity to just dissect the interior & see what was under everything. I took a ton of reference photos for the future. You can imagine how excited my wife was when I came home....

Ha!  I didn't know you pulled THAT much...that's awesome.  Swap meet at your place!

• Like 1