What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

bfed2d902b8e3a4cc0c00727b448f01e.jpg
e2ab7f90f00689861906d51a2b985dad.jpgcfe9c325e18555c7b023f59d7871ac1b.jpg

My “new” bumper! Only 2 1/2 years after my fender bender, I was finally able to get an off-road bumper for the Pathfinder. It’s a second hand Coastal Offroad bumper which I obtained from a guy in Portland who was returning his R50 to stock. It was installed at a @pines2spines Tiger Mountain workshop by the PNW R50 crew. (@02_Pathy,[mention=32880]ferrariowner123[/mention] & some interim storage by[mention=39745]stpickens[/mention]). It NEVER would have been successful, however, without the insight and technical skills of the Grandmaster of Ceremonies,[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention], to whom I am forever indebted!

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

bfed2d902b8e3a4cc0c00727b448f01e.jpg
e2ab7f90f00689861906d51a2b985dad.jpgcfe9c325e18555c7b023f59d7871ac1b.jpg

My “new” bumper! Only 2 1/2 years after my fender bender, I was finally able to get an off-road bumper for the Pathfinder. It’s a second hand Coastal Offroad bumper which I obtained from a guy in Portland who was returning his R50 to stock. It was installed at a @pines2spines Tiger Mountain workshop by the PNW R50 crew. (@02_Pathy,[mention=32880]ferrariowner123[/mention] & some interim storage by[mention=39745]stpickens[/mention]). It NEVER would have been successful, however, without the insight and technical skills of the Grandmaster of Ceremonies,[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention], to whom I am forever indebted!

Came out really nice!
I'm all about repurposing stuff, so that's a bonus to me!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Made some sunshades for all the windows to keep it dark, cut and drilled the last backplate again and installed it. Cant remember what else I did to the truck but everything that absolutely needed to be done is done. Today I'll install some d rings in the back and put in a 3rd brake light which shouldn't take me very long at all or so I'm hoping. I slacked on getting the windshield replaced and screwed myself by accident yesterday waiting just a bit to long the only available place to get one installed today got booked up. Bummer. Looks like I'll be having to do it on the road, oh well.

• Like 1

Came out really nice! I'm all about repurposing stuff, so that's a bonus       

Ultimately, this was just a trial fitting. The bumper was there &[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] couldn’t help himself. Whoever the prior owner had weld it up did a mediocre job & made some mistakes in the mounting plate fitment. It would never have gone on without cutting, grinding, bending & welding (all by[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention]). Also, it weighs 97# so @02_Pathy &[mention=32880]ferrariowner123[/mention] had to help muscle it up & hold it in place while he made fitment adjustments.   It will need to come off for repainting and light & winch mounting - plus I’ll paint the seam, washer reservoir & intake resonators black. While it’s off,[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] wants to radius the corners & improve the welds (he’s a perfectionist & I’m gratefull).  It does look good & I’m thankful to have it but I’ll probably switch it out once @pinestospines ([mention=36148]hawairish[/mention] &[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] ) finish development on their version. Those two just make a great team. They really think things through & are willing to go back & rework a problem until they get exactly what they want. Through discussion & first hand observation I have great faith in both of their judgements.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Had a couple hours to lay some booger welds.
May need to reinforce the stock bumper bracket for more rigidity or leave it as-is for a failsafe.
Using 3/16 plate. 2e3cf361cb27a033a140c19c1ad2bbc4.jpgd1c514d6d8eae3f7ab2d1d47f2941b05.jpg8b86bf4df8b1eb13bae7ba6b3c0ea340.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

D rings are in and wired/mounted the third brake light. Running the wire was more of a pain than expected and wiring ran into issues with the trailer lights. Had to rewire a lot of stuff and took longer than I would have liked but it's done. On the way to alaska now.

Side note, trans fluid was brown so had it changed. Need to adjust clutch pedal tonight since driving has been a real thorn in my side and making 3rd even harder than it already was. So tonight is to re organize the back, adjust clutch and hang the LEDS in the back.

Edited by Charlie_Brown
Misspelling and additional info
  • Like 2

43850ff6b483755c08378c72d7334359.jpg

00563928827bef4e39d9a789982619cd.jpg

Went on a weekend shake down trip for the new suspension in the Cascades. I can really see why I’ve never heard a complaint about the ARB OME struts & HD springs. That’s a 97# bumper on there and the truck has never driven smoother or tighter. I’m looking forward to an A-Arm poly upgrade. I find the Land Rover 9448s a little rough but they improve with some load.[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] thinks part of the rear issue may be my Tyler Morgan control arms as his truck is smoother in back. I’m running his old Bilstein 5100s while we figure out the right 5165s so that may be contributing as well. I think I’m getting a little top out now & then. Thanks again to[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] who consumed three whole afternoons (until Midnightish) working with me to change everything over. It honestly would never have happened without him.

• Like 5

Truck is way better to drive now that the clutch is adjusted. Instead of putting in the LEDs ended up putting up the signal booster and running the wires so they are nice and hidden in the trim. What are the odds some kids would get murdered along the alaskan highway doing a road trip like mine 2 or so days ago when my girlfriend is already hella skiddish

Yeah it's a pretty sad story. For sure makes it to where you dont pick up any hitch hikers. Got awhile to get into there, just got into Oregon and headed up to Portland. Trucks getting pretty good has mileage.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm getting around the same, staying in 5th gear freeway driving is nice for a change when you live in the mountains used to switching 3rd all day lol. In Portland for the next two days. Bolt started getting loose on the bumper so tightened it and had to put more brake fluid in last night. Hearing a noise up front I can't quite track down it's only when I brake hard and the weight shifts. Going to get under it tonight and see if anything is loose

Finally got around to putting in the lights just before the border. They make camping in the truck a lot nicer and doesnt drain the battery as much. Also got a clip on fan from home depot for 10 dollars that works awesome. Currently in B.C just outside of the Yukon. Never figured out what I was feeling with the braking but it also went away. I'm assuming it was the bumper just being allowed to shift the small amount from the loose bolt since it went away after tightening it. 

2 hours ago, Cuong Nguyen said:

Didnt quite think the thing through but it is a work in progress and build as you go type deal. Trying to strengthen the wings so i can lift from it.f5f0da90b65d6aa1fd3b311a95e97f91.jpgcf0c0ef3580939fb9c37de51af017d0b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Box steel and triangulate it?

Well one of the bolts to the drivers upper control arm decided to snap and sheer off today after visiting matanuska glacier. Stoped off on the side of the road and jacked it up just to see that the bolt just got done shearing. Camping off the side of the road tonight.

Just got done drilling the bolt out. Came out super easy as I figured it would. Awesome Alaskans helped out and one of them had a bolt with the same threads, doesnt work out the best but will get me to a shop down the street to get some replacement bolts. Super stoked

Boring stuff on mine. Replaced radiator and thermostat. Hosed out the engine so all fresh coolant. Radiator was pretty hammered and thermostat not looking terribly good. If I can get another 10 years out of these ones, I will be satisfied. Also replaced the rear swaybar links since the left one broke a couple weeks ago making regular driving spooky and freeway downright terrifying. Odd the front bar didn't make much difference in how it drove, but the rear makes a huge difference. 

Upcoming project rattling around in the back of my mind is building some adjustable compression rods for the front lower control arms. Have some crazy ideas I am working on that just might solve some front end issues and make setting caster a bit easier. Who knows, I might eventually get my poor old Pathfinder a bit more drivable.