What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

In preparation for a run this weekend, I pulled it into the shop to give it a once-over. Checked belts, hoses, fluids. Loaded gear. Did a light check and found that both front blinkers were out. Fixed one, ran out of time so will work on the other tomorrow. Now that I moved from the forest I only drive it once every few months.

• Like 2

Swapped out the oil this morning, it was 10W40. Usually I just run 10W throughout the entire year where I live, but with the weather already getting warmer I put in some high detergent 15W-40. I don't run anything less than 10W because of the high mileage (315,000+), the lifters like to start ticking when she gets reallll warm. Does anyone think this is overkill? She's running great so far, I just want other's input.

Cheers

I have 270,000 miles (450,000km) and still run the factory spec 5w30. Perhaps I should watch out for that? I mainly drive it in the summer here anyway. How loud is the ticking?

• Like 1

I have 270,000 miles (450,000km) and still run the factory spec 5w30. Perhaps I should watch out for that? I mainly drive it in the summer here anyway. How loud is the ticking?

Depends on how warm the engine is. When she used to run 5W30 back in the 260K range, the lifters would start to tick anywhere above 3000rpms when she was at operating temp in the summer. Now that I run 10W, I never really hear them anymore.

Last week I was running her around literally all day, and by the end of the day I could hear them very slightly when I would get above 3000. I just want to make sure that I keep it well lubricated, there's been very little work done the engine as a whole.

Hmm I don't notice any ticking ever. It used to tick when it was really cold out (-20), and I used castrol conventional. Once I switched to a synthetic it never made another peep. I have had this truck since 120k miles.

I am planning a cross country road trip and wanted to take the pathfinder to do some west coast wheeling. But such a high mileage engine makes me nervous.

Do you use regular or synthetic oil? Do you have an oil filter relocation? I installed one and now it takes almost 5 quarts to fill.

Edited by adamzan

Hmm I don't notice any ticking ever. It used to tick when it was really cold out (-20), and I used castrol conventional. Once I switched to a synthetic it never made another peep. I have had this truck since 120k miles.

I am planning a cross country road trip and wanted to take the pathfinder to do some west coast wheeling. But such a high mileage engine makes me nervous.

Do you use regular or synthetic oil? Do you have an oil filter relocation? I installed one and now it takes almost 5 quarts to fill.

I've done some pretty far trips in my Pathy, unfortunately on the most recent one was when the tranny gave up lol.

I use synthetic high detergent oil whenever I can get my hands on it, better to spend some extra money now on the heart of her than money on repairs later down the road. I want to install a relocation kit, but for now I've been dealing with wrestling the filter out from above the starter... she usually takes around 4-4 1/2 quarts to fill her up to the recommend level.

I should also mention my Pathy has been in the direct family ever since she came off the showroom floor with ~120 miles back in '92. I'm almost positive it has always ran synthetic, but I may be wrong. I've ran synthetic for the past 4 years she's been mine.

Edited by Bobsteriffic

Yeah, I got mine from the original owners, it is from out in BC somewhere, near Vancouver.

I've driven a pathy across the country twice actually. It always went smoothly but this time I'm taking the one I can wheel. I had the oil pan off last summer and all appeared fine in there, nothing lose or any chunks of metal laying around.

• Like 1

Yeah, I got mine from the original owners, it is from out in BC somewhere, near Vancouver.

I've driven a pathy across the country twice actually. It always went smoothly but this time I'm taking the one I can wheel. I had the oil pan off last summer and all appeared fine in there, nothing lose or any chunks of metal laying around.

Sounds like you're good then. I would just throw in the obligatory "side of the highway tool kit," but other than that I wouldn't worry too much! These things don't leave you stranded unless you're ignoring maintenance, such as myself lol. Now that I've got a brand new tranny I'm gonna make sure to maintain this thing as much as a I can.

I replaced my tranny in 2013 with an Xterra one. Not worried there haha. I would just hate to break down in the middle of nowhere, but I guess that's the chance you take. I've had this rig for almost 10 years now.

• Like 1

almost finished with the front suspension just the torsion bars left to install, then finish hooking up the 3,3 and she's on the road,

Should have been done a year ago

• Like 1

Finally got me a set of chrome wheels from my local Pull-A-Part. Only set me back a hundred bucks and they're in perfect shape well not perfect but near meant. The only thing I'm missing are the center caps so I had some extra center caps from the silver QX4 wheels I took off and gonna use them until I can get some chrome ones. e490f3053b5c8aa3912a567eacfdf34d.jpg40ba0fadca6dcc3c28810b4fe59dabda.jpgc06e9df54cdf5753bbece48385a8e680.jpg

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Pullapart is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I serious live there on the weekends. I don't know if you knew this or not but you can get on their website and if they don't have the vehicle you're looking for you can request it and you can request as far as I know as many times as you want I get on there and request over and over and over again for R50 Pathfinders specifically the ones that match my years 96pathy-97quey

At one time they literally had at least 11 to 13 R50s at one time 7 of them was Pathfinders the other six or seven was QX4s and it was because I requested over and over again LOL LMAO

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Finally was able to get back to the truck after two weeks and finish the wiring distribution block off the battery, and get the radio up and running. Damn rugged radios sound super good, I can't complain at all.

Ordered an air filter and setting up an appointment to have the exhaust done. Sucks not knowing how to weld yet bit can't wait any longer since the girl is going to the grand canyon in April. Let's pray she doesn't destroy herself somehow.

Side note, oil changed and finally put the new oil filter in.

reassembled after replacing my lower ball joint(drivers side) and put the other ball joint (for passenger side) on the shelf until probably next month,

Swapped the AT lines under the radiator to isolate the cooler from the radiator and prevent the SMOD.

• Like 1

Replaced passengers side fuel injectors on the 95. Will do the drivers side next weekend. Had one bad one but now it runs so much better. Like when I first dropped the motor in.

• Like 1

Jumped in, started it, drove two miles, wondered why it wasn't shifting after running at 3000rpm for a minute, and threw a rod. Hit neutral, shut down the engine (not quick enough) and pulled over, called roadside assist, hitch hiked to my dad's house. Waited for the tow truck, went to get my truck, brought it back to dad's house, and found a small hole in the oil pan where something was violently shoved almost through it. Found a good VG33E online, and put it in my cart. Buying tomorrow.

• Like 3

Jumped in, started it, drove two miles, wondered why it wasn't shifting after running at 3000rpm for a minute, and threw a rod. Hit neutral, shut down the engine (not quick enough) and pulled over, called roadside assist, hitch hiked to my dad's house. Waited for the tow truck, went to get my truck, brought it back to dad's house, and found a small hole in the oil pan where something was violently shoved almost through it. Found a good VG33E online, and put it in my cart. Buying tomorrow.

Ouch, that sucks! Any idea what caused the failure?

• Like 1

I think I threw the timing belt. I have a new one, and a water pump, and the other belts but I've been putting it off because I wanted to put in my altima electric fan shroud at the same time. But i've been waiting for the electric controller. Lesson of the day (and apparently a lot of other days before now) is DO NOT PUT OFF THE TIMING BELT Change. Sorry for yelling. Now I'm looking for a good 33 swap thread.

• Like 2

I washed it the other day. All mud here in south Texas. At least I won't have dirt and mud in my eyes when I'm working under the truck. I'm keeping an eye out for a slow leak on the transfer case. I may have to smear sealant on the edges if it's seeping out still. 2b5fb23ccb26dc415b8d44ac96391e66.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Bummer man :/ you know what caused it?

Bummer man :/ you know what caused it?

I think I threw the timing belt. I have a new one, and a water pump, and the other belts but I've been putting it off because I wanted to put in my altima electric fan shroud at the same time. But i've been waiting for the electric controller. Lesson of the day (and apparently a lot of other days before now) is DO NOT PUT OFF THE TIMING BELT Change. Sorry for yelling. Now I'm looking for a good 33 swap thread.

There ya go :aok:

• Like 1