What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Looks like you did some learning in between those beads!

I finally got around to grounding the check connector to see what the ABS light is complaining about. Nine flashes, so it thinks the sensor has gone open-circuit. Not the actuator! Good. One of these days I'll get around to checking the sensor.

Well, talked to my fab guy about strut tower repair...

He's talking (per side):

10-12 hours @$60/hr

Nissan repair patches ($40/ea.)

So, rounding up pretty heavily to make sure I don't wind up in trouble, we can say about $1000 per side, more realistically $850 if it stays on budget. That's a lot of money. But is it worth it? I'll have to decide. I'm thinking yes right now. I like the vehicle a lot, and there's nothing else really significant wrong with it. There's no way I'll find a R50 in better condition that I can afford, and any other vehicle I'll be out a ton to build it up to where my QX4 is now. &^*@ing rust....

He also mentioned maybe having to drop the subframe to do the job, so at that point maybe add a 3" SFD? It would't be very much more in fabrication or time, and the only parts I'd need is a steering shaft and u-joint as well as factory Nissan brake hoses from some other vehicle (right?), so maybe this would be a good opportunity for that? As long as it's all apart...

• Like 1

Well, talked to my fab guy about strut tower repair...

He's talking (per side):

10-12 hours @$60/hr

<$100 in shop supplies (sheet metal, welding supplies, etc.)

Nissan repair patches ($40/ea.)

So, rounding up pretty heavily to make sure I don't wind up in trouble, we can say about $1000 per side, more realistically $850 if it stays on budget. That's a lot of money. But is it worth it? I'll have to decide. I'm thinking yes right now. I like the vehicle a lot, and there's nothing else really significant wrong with it. There's no way I'll find a R50 in better condition that I can afford, and any other vehicle I'll be out a ton to build it up to where my QX4 is now. &^*@ing rust....

He also mentioned maybe having to drop the subframe to do the job, so at that point maybe add a 3" SFD? It would't be very much more in fabrication or time, and the only parts I'd need is a steering shaft and u-joint as well as factory Nissan brake hoses from some other vehicle (right?), so maybe this would be a good opportunity for that? As long as it's all apart...

You can either fix yours and then you know what you have. Or find another one and possibly start a whole new set of issues.

You can either fix yours and then you know what you have. Or find another one and possibly start a whole new set of issues.

That's what I'm thinking. Other than something that feels funny in the front end (which I'm thinking is alignment since I recently had to go back to regular bolts rather than camber due to snapping ANOTHER :angry: camber bolt, which I found out was due to them being installed in the top hole; apparently you're supposed to do bottom hole or risk breaking them), I feel very confident in the vehicle; the only mechanical trouble I've ever had was one O2 sensor. I've basically decided that I'm going to fix it. Let's get this rig to 250K (and not look like crap when it gets there :lol: )!

So about that funny feeling in the front end...ball joint is bad. Really bad. Such a PITA to change...not to mention the one I got doesn't fit, because it has a zirk fitting on top, which doesn't fit with the CV. Probably destroyed the CV while getting the old ball joint out too. This was going so well, and then it started going much harder...any tips or tricks for getting a ball joint to line up while handling the heavy spindle without getting too p'd off?!?!? :headwall:

Replaced the rear shocks (I'm putting off the fronts until I'm ready to do ball joints/CVs/etc) and finally tracked down the whistling noise the air intake was making at low RPM! Also discovered that my windshield was fogging up because my sunroof seal leaks like crazy and the glass was covered with water above the cover. Gotta track down a new seal for that one of these days.

To my surprise, the OE rear shocks still have a little bit of gas pressure in them! I wouldn't put them back on but they're not nearly as hooped as I expected. Not bad for 240k miles.

So about that funny feeling in the front end...ball joint is bad. Really bad. Such a PITA to change...not to mention the one I got doesn't fit, because it has a zirk fitting on top, which doesn't fit with the CV. Probably destroyed the CV while getting the old ball joint out too. This was going so well, and then it started going much harder...any tips or tricks for getting a ball joint to line up while handling the heavy spindle without getting too p'd off?!?!? :headwall:

Get a strand of wire, string or bungee and strap the cv up to anything you can. A pickle fork works pretty well but I also got the bj press that has the three arms and a bolt. That works wonders, I used an impact to get it right while smacking it with a hammer. If you don't smack it, it can build too much pressure and fire out like a damn bullet. Bjs are honestly pretty easy to do

Oh my bad I read that wrong, tips for getting it to line up is patients in my experience. Have your bolts ready and hold it with your knee and hand if you're able. That's what I did. I didn't have too much problems when I replaces both upper and lower bjs on both sides personally.

Well after wen wheeling for a solution on my damn power steering line I ended up just going with my father's advice and milling the circle connection two sizes bigger along with carving a channel in the bolt a slight amount. Shouldn't have any issues with it as far as being brittle now bit I'm going to take it nice and slow torquing it. I have two spares I can use anyways so not too concerned.

Got some blades for my jigsaw and going to trim fenders tomorrow

• Like 1

Recently moved (mid December) and after driving the pathy the 3 hours to my new house, I lost the key. Also forgot my password to the forums.

Recently found the key in the bottom of my wife's purse, so took the pathy for a spin to the post office after it sitting for a month and a half. Also, reset my password. I am back!

• Like 4

Recently moved (mid December) and after driving the pathy the 3 hours to my new house, I lost the key. Also forgot my password to the forums.

Recently found the key in the bottom of my wife's purse, so took the pathy for a spin to the post office after it sitting for a month and a half. Also, reset my password. I am back!

Close call! Glad you're back, wondered why you weren't posting!

• Like 1

Welcome back! Lol

Also does anyone have a current Rockauto discount code? I've got a big order for my Subaru :/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Trimmed the passenger front and rear fenders. Read I just trimmed on the plastic what was rubbing but front I decided to go bigger and trim the ender itself about 2 and a half inches. Wanted to stay California legal so I made it so I was able to put the fender flares back on after modifying them. Can't even tell it was ever cut unless you really look at it

Just another oil change, but also changed the air filter and in-cabin filters since it was time and they were a bit funky. Also cleaned all the glass, then actually cleaned the dash, center stack, console and door panels, since it's been a really long time! She's a bit happier now... Lol

Put the flares back on the truck now that the paint has had time to dry and heated the drivers side up so it sits against the fender. Also adjusted the torsion bars so they sit equal again instead of the drivers side being jacked way up.

Bent the new power steering line using your granddads vice and made it look like it was supposed to be there, works perfect.

Engine is all back together and drove it twice, allignment is going to be addressed possibly tomorrow with some new tires.

Going to add ground lights on the truck I have laying around and start getting into the wiring on the dash along with replacing the dimming switch that is going bad.

I'm running out of things to do to the truck these days excluding painting it.

Edited by Charlie_Brown
  • Like 1