What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Replaced the alternator after diagnosing it as the cause of the dead battery. It was only putting out 13 volts and looked like it was still the original.

So got a new unit (not remanned), but now the Brake, Charge, and AT Oil Temp lights are staying on (they weren't on before). Checked the belt tension and tightened the hell out of it, but still have the lights.

Any ideas?

Check all the connections, both on the alternator and on the battery.

I used to work at the NW corner of bell and dysart. That was earlier this year before I changed position and moved location to down to tolleson. Eventually I quit that job and moved back to san diego. I still have my home down in buckeye, actually the harbor freight in avondale is closer to me. I’ll be over there within the next couple of weeks to register my CA -livin pathy!

Guess I would've seen the San Diego location if I wasn't on the mobile version. But yeah, definitely easier to register in AZ if you have that option.

Guess I would've seen the San Diego location if I wasn't on the mobile version. But yeah, definitely easier to register in AZ if you have that option.

it definitely is easier to register and much cheaper than California. unfortunately living there full time was bad for my health so I alternate throughout the year when i want to get away from a big city. Right now I’m just waiting for the dealer to send my

title so i can go to mvd. If I’m over in the area I’ll send you a PM and maybe talk cars over a couple beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replaced the alternator after diagnosing it as the cause of the dead battery. It was only putting out 13 volts and looked like it was still the original.

So got a new unit (not remanned), but now the Brake, Charge, and AT Oil Temp lights are staying on (they weren't on before). Checked the belt tension and tightened the hell out of it, but still have the lights.

Any ideas?

If all the connections are good and tight, then it must be a defective alternator.

I modded my tailgate so that when I open the hatch glass to grab something, the interior lights come on automatically. This should save me my usual dance of opening the glass, groping for the light switch, grabbing whatever I'm after, shutting the glass, and then digging out my keys again because I forgot to turn the stupid light back off.

I'm less annoyed by the WD's quirks than usual, though. Family friends with an R51 visited yesterday and said theirs was kind of bucking and jumping on the way here. My dad and I checked fluids and sure enough, it's got the SMOD. The trans dipstick looked/smelled alright but the radiator's full of creamy greyish-pink nope. We're hoping we caught it soon enough to save the tranny.

• Like 1

I modded my tailgate so that when I open the hatch glass to grab something, the interior lights come on automatically. This should save me my usual dance of opening the glass, groping for the light switch, grabbing whatever I'm after, shutting the glass, and then digging out my keys again because I forgot to turn the stupid light back off.

I'm less annoyed by the WD's quirks than usual, though. Family friends with an R51 visited yesterday and said theirs was kind of bucking and jumping on the way here. My dad and I checked fluids and sure enough, it's got the SMOD. The trans dipstick looked/smelled alright but the radiator's full of creamy greyish-pink nope. We're hoping we caught it soon enough to save the tranny.

If it's not too elaborate, care to share how you did it? I would love to do this to my own!

Took it out on a dirt road for shooting, nothing big just a road with some minor ruts since the gate was closed. Truck performs great, ecu 55 and the only issue with the whole engine after the swap is a coolant hose has a leak which stopped me from getting an alignment. Swapped the 33 super swampers on it and looking at trimming the fenders a little so I don't rub at full flex and turning bit other than that it doesn't rub at all. Plus it would be interesting trimming the fenders and making them look good and not hacked.

Still have to redo the power steering line but I'm just happy to be driving it again and not have any major issues

If it's not too elaborate, care to share how you did it? I would love to do this to my own!

It was pretty simple, actually. I'll post a few pictures of the process in my build thread later. It's more than a bit on the redneck side LOL but it's all hidden behind the trim.

• Like 1

Update on the SMOD R51. Turns out it's also got 8psi oil pressure at idle when it's warm. Apparently the VQs have an oil galley behind the rear timing cover, sealed from it by a gasket which can fail and piss away oil pressure through the timing cover. Either it's that, or the pump and bearings are somehow whupped at 143k miles. Either way, it needs significant engine work on top of its transmission woes and the godawful mayonnaise mess. The mechanic's estimate pretty well punched the truck's ticket to the wreckers. Anyone near eastern Washington need an R51 for parts? Looks like a clean shell, anyway.

Oh, and my mini-writeup for my janky lighting mod is up on my build thread.

Took off the passenger side interior plastics, sighed in disgust at the mouse nest, removed nest, removed amps, put back the little clear box (??) that shared a bracket with the little amp, disassembled amp housings.

That looks intricate! What are the half dozen square holes going to be for?

Other brackets will attach to those square holes, and the actual bumper will be built off of those brackets. A square hole allows for a little more adjustment in any direction vs. round hole.

I'll have more details in a separate post soon, but the real project is a winch bumper "builder" kit that supports both plate and tube bumper builds. I'll be taking a square and rectangular tube approach.

• Like 3

CNC?? You should keep it in the back of your mind while your doing this whether or not creating a kit might be a good idea.

Looks great so far

Thanks. Kitting is already at the front of my mind. I'm building it specifically to be the base for other bumper builds.

And yep, I've got a CNC router. Been sitting on it for a while...it's time to use it!

Thanks. Kitting is already at the front of my mind. I'm building it specifically to be the base for other bumper builds.

And yep, I've got a CNC router. Been sitting on it for a while...it's time to use it!

This is great. If I keep dragging my feet on a bumper solution, then I may be able to benefit from this.

Got some more parts for the pathfinder, and found a coolant leak much to my misfortune. It's somewhere around the long metal tube that runs to the back for the heater hoses. It's probably one of the few gaskets I was worried about when initially rebuilding the engine. Time will tell If I have to pull the intake off to replace such a small gasket.

Also here's some coastline eastern NC snow pics for you guys. Good thing the ocean was still sorta warm. People around here are idiots when it comes to ice.70ff7718965b00047a6d7eb61d653fcb.jpg310ddf2c452ad8b0b986c80e73957845.jpgd8033fc60be128201e9ad94ff6c85a1d.jpg3aae0a4d9312d3d81f951ea49f6f8639.jpgf774b6b8703753284a8da8b9ada1db5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

started moving parts from the auto 88 to the 5spd 88, it's been awhile since I did any work on them thanks to 48 radiation treatments and 4 months of chemo, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy

• Like 2

started moving parts from the auto 88 to the 5spd 88, it's been awhile since I did any work on them thanks to 48 radiation treatments and 4 months of chemo, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy

Jesus man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it stays in remission and lets you get back to your projects.

Jesus man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it stays in remission and lets you get back to your projects.

had a CT scan last week and I'm clear so far so good just need to get my strength back and gain back about 25 lbs

• Like 4

Picked up some 1k rated ratchet straps from HF that were on sale so I could pull the transmission crossmember into place. Using the straps and pry bars I managed to get the bolts to fit through. I just need to pick up a couple washers to bring it back up and call it done for that section.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the welder out of the pathfinder and found out that weight of it bent the housing but everything inside looks OK. I'm missing tips so I'll need to get some new ones from Harbor Freight. I'll also need to hit up Home Depot for a new 3 prong welder outlet to replace the 4 prong one in the garage.

My hard and soft gas lines are dangerously close to my header so I'll need to figure out a way to reroute them since the car accident caved in my passenger frame rail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The block attached to the positive cable is making it so I can't start the truck up. Thought it might habe just been the terminal since it was cracked and rotten bit after replacing it's still having troubles starting. Gotta go the the junkyard and get a new cable. Not paying 122$ for that.

Seemingly fixed my coolant leak once and for all. I say seemingly because until I run the truck for a few hours I won't know for sure bit I see now way of it failing.

Looking at exhaust parts now with magnaflow high flow cat and red cherry bomb style muffler. Anyone have any thought, opinions or remarks on exhaust and which way I should go?

Never done anything with exhaust before.