What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Changed out radiator on my 98,shop guy said it looked like original 225K on odometer,they wanted $380 bucks just for the rad no hoses,got on Amazon, rad and lower hose for $100 shipped. It was a lot easier then I thought to do myself,Also drained tranny and filled.

Pics of how you plumbed it in?

It was hard for me to get good pictures of the oil line coming in through the firewall but I did the best that I could. The instructions say to have a loop in the line at least 3 inches before or after the firewall. The Pathfinder I have is a two-wheel drive so it was a lot easier to get to the oil sending sensor or whatever you want to call it because the four wheel drive and all that stuff is not in the way. I had to get a T fitting because I wanted to keep the original dummy light. I have the line coming in through the firewall going right above the hood release and fuse box to the gauge. Hope this helps anybody who might decide to try this.db52afe31bbcc1827e5c061831b3f01f.jpg3eaaab65b07619a8d6f860f255873e7c.jpg6c098b829c560020292f5f44b996cecc.jpg40c770588f827e48bacab8ef2d7e870b.jpgd2e745bd092a154ca8b78aec8dc5f640.jpg4376430aab6b1085e984c10447667059.jpgf9857f3a2132a0b2903c74dce13c3177.jpg

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

Walked around the truck two or three times trying to get the passenger's door unlocked. Unlock it, try the handle, door locks itself. Finally realized the lock knob wasn't going up all the way. Looks like I need to take that door apart and evict some gremlins.

4376430aab6b1085e984c10447667059.jpg

Is that a heated steering wheel switch? I didn't know that was an option on R50s.

• Like 1

Any issues with the TENN troopers and the black plate? Not sure how they would react in PA since the front plate is not required but there's no way in hell I'm tempting fate

Front plate not required here in the volunteer State. So nope, no problems.

Walked around the truck two or three times trying to get the passenger's door unlocked. Unlock it, try the handle, door locks itself. Finally realized the lock knob wasn't going up all the way. Looks like I need to take that door apart and evict some gremlins.

Is that a heated steering wheel switch? I didn't know that was an option on R50s.

It's just a dumby switch to fill space. I hate the plain space fillers so I took care of that problem. Lol

• Like 2

I like that oil pressure setup. Space is a little tigher on the wd21 though. What was the thread of the T and sender? I seem to recall it was BSPT but it's been a while...

I don't know anything about bpst or any of that lingo. I took the original oil sender and a tool and die set. Found out what size I needed and cut new threads on my adapter. Used high temp silicone. Let it dry about 2 hours and shaman. Hope this helps. I also checked in the fsm LC section about checking oil pressure. It tells you the size under special service tools.

BSPT - British standard pipe thread. Most things built outside of North America use it for piping. North America uses NPT - National pipe thread.

On a similar note if you have something made in Japan, they use a slightly different pitch on their Phillips head screws. If your normal screwdriver keeps stripping the screws, then get a screwdriver that meets JIS - Japanese industrial standard. Places that sell bike parts usually sell them. I learned this wrenching on Yamahas and Kawasakis.

• Like 2

Local junkyard got a 2002 Pathy in so I decided to go take a peek. This thing was mint, I really wish I could have gotten it before the junkyard did! It was almost perfect inside and out; it only had minimal strut tower rust (so little that I'm considering cutting them out) and it even still ran. Best my dad and I could figure was that the tranny must have given out, there's not other reason for it to have been there, it was so nice! It was also meticulously maintained, including front suspension that can't have been more than 2 or 3 years old and rear suspension that can't have been more than 2 or 3 months old!! I've been wanting longer rear shocks, but for $5.50 each I'll take 2 brand new stock shocks (pictures below). Heck, even the engine air filter was so new I decided to grab it, just to have a spare! Also grabbed the MAF sensor since mine is dirty from when I flooded the engine, the battery tray and strap since mine was missing the tray and my previous battery corroded the strap away, and a tool kit from some sedan next to it that included lots of goodies, including a "tow eye" (or whatever it's called) so I can rescue stranded cars without crushing the bumper. It was a really good day. It had tons more stuff that I wanted, like the HVAC controls and cruise control stuff, but it's different from mine so I need to figure out if it's compatible.

IMG_20171216_192020353.jpg

• Like 4

Last three weekends I cut, bent and painted new brackets for the power steering out of 1/4 inch steel. Bent and moved the lines for the pressurized line, bent the outlet for the return hose so it wants going straight to the frame and added 6 feet of hose back to the fluid housing. Thankfully got my dad to help me out this weekend however it was only after we were done with everything that we saw that the return line is hitting the centerlink when it turns. I thought it was going to just barely kiss it but it hits hard so now I'm looking at getting a different line and maybe drilling new holes in my bracket to raise it however much I possibly can. Cut a notch out of the fan shroud since after the body lift if wants to rub against it and put the radiator back in. I'm going to run the power steering as it is right now to get new tires and an alignment, later I'll be bothered to take it all back off and work new lines.

I took Marvin out Xmas shopping....we done GOOD. Now all I gotta do is wrap them presents!-lol.

Been steady rain for last 3 days w/a vague chance of clearing Wednesday of next week-gotta pull the window mechanisms for all 4 windows as the passenger side went down but only went back up with a buddy helping it. NOT doing it it while its pissing down w/percipitation, thank you very much. REALLY gotta clean out my one car garage.

Lubrication for the Nation, people.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the front bumper off the truck for the past several days now, mocking up either a hidden winch or winch bumper setup (still undecided). Either approach will use an off-the-shelf winch mount channel, so I went down to HF to pick one up for my next round of mock-ups...and ended up buying a winch. Wasn't planning to go with a HF one when the time came, but there was a previous-model 12K unit (the new "ZXR" black models are out) in the Open Box section for $303. The HF website had them for $275 new, so I asked if they could improve the price...and they did, down to $200. At that price, it was easily worth a shot. Well...it got better...they applied my 25%-off coupon to it instead of the winch channel (Open Box items aren't eligible for the coupon)...$150 12K winch, hell yeah!! I was tempted to return the the winch channel just so I could buy it again with the 25% coupon, but for hooking me up like that, they can keep the $12!

Back to mock-up...

• Like 4

Replaced the alternator after diagnosing it as the cause of the dead battery. It was only putting out 13 volts and looked like it was still the original.

So got a new unit (not remanned), but now the Brake, Charge, and AT Oil Temp lights are staying on (they weren't on before). Checked the belt tension and tightened the hell out of it, but still have the lights.

Any ideas?

I've had the front bumper off the truck for the past several days now, mocking up either a hidden winch or winch bumper setup (still undecided). Either approach will use an off-the-shelf winch mount channel, so I went down to HF to pick one up for my next round of mock-ups...and ended up buying a winch. Wasn't planning to go with a HF one when the time came, but there was a previous-model 12K unit (the new "ZXR" black models are out) in the Open Box section for $303. The HF website had them for $275 new, so I asked if they could improve the price...and they did, down to $200. At that price, it was easily worth a shot. Well...it got better...they applied my 25%-off coupon to it instead of the winch channel (Open Box items aren't eligible for the coupon)...$150 12K winch, hell yeah!! I was tempted to return the the winch channel just so I could buy it again with the 25% coupon, but for hooking me up like that, they can keep the $12!

Back to mock-up...

Did you go to the one on bell rd? I didn’t mind that location when there weren’t 100 retirees in line trying to dig through their wallets for money. Nevertheless you got an awesome deal. I’d like to see how the front mount turns out as I am interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you go to the one on bell rd? I didnt mind that location when there werent 100 retirees in line trying to dig through their wallets for money. Nevertheless you got an awesome deal. Id like to see how the front mount turns out as I am interested?

Yep, Bell and Dysart-ish. It was a bit crowded when I got there today, but was cleared out by time I checked out. Mustve been nap time for them! I was glad when that one opened, though...next closest was twice as far down in Avondale. Are you near Surprise?

Yep, Bell and Dysart-ish. It was a bit crowded when I got there today, but was cleared out by time I checked out. Mustve been nap time for them! I was glad when that one opened, though...next closest was twice as far down in Avondale. Are you near Surprise?

I used to work at the NW corner of bell and dysart. That was earlier this year before I changed position and moved location to down to tolleson. Eventually I quit that job and moved back to san diego. I still have my home down in buckeye, actually the harbor freight in avondale is closer to me. I’ll be over there within the next couple of weeks to register my CA -livin pathy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk