What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Well I feel stupid haha. I usually catch stuff like that. It does indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't feel bad about it, usually when you're focused on something you skip over small stuff. I do it a lot lol

Sent from inside my potato

Don't feel bad about it, usually when you're focused on something you skip over small stuff. I do it a lot lol

Yeah, the first time I pulled the belts was for the timing belt, so my mind was definitely cluttered, since then I've just been on autopilot every time I've had to take them off doing it the same way each time.

Yeah, the first time I pulled the belts was for the timing belt, so my mind was definitely cluttered, since then I've just been on autopilot every time I've had to take them off doing it the same way each time.

Well now you know, it'll take a little longer but it'll be easier to get the belt on and off

• Like 1

I got a set of moog compression rod bushings and caliper rebuild kits in today, might be going to pick up a 92 pathfinder for $200 tomorrow if my buddy gets his butt in gear.

• Like 2

Well he didn't pull the trigger on the pathfinder unfortunately :/ I'd get it I'd I had the spare time and especially the room since we already have 5 vehicles at my house.

Bought some jy manual hubs. Took them apart and started cleaning all of the old grease and rust out of them. Found that one of them has a bad bearing. Gonna see price and availability for a new bearing tomorrow.

• Like 1

Probably trashed my 4x4 today. God am I stupid. Was doin a day trip on some dirt roads and my copilot wanted to know how the 4x4 worked. Showed her but forgot to back it up to disengage the auto hubs. Drove a few miles at 55 on the highway and started feeling some random vibrations/noises. Pulled over to inspect, couldn't find anything wrong that would be grinding/making noise. Continued for about a 1/2 mile till I heard the loudest noise reverberating from the wall I was driving alongside. Sounded like what I would assume is the ratchet mechanism in the hubs, it was loud. But I made it home an additional 100 miles with no issues once I disengaged the hubs.

Probably trashed my 4x4 today. God am I stupid. Was doin a day trip on some dirt roads and my copilot wanted to know how the 4x4 worked. Showed her but forgot to back it up to disengage the auto hubs. Drove a few miles at 55 on the highway and started feeling some random vibrations/noises. Pulled over to inspect, couldn't find anything wrong that would be grinding/making noise. Continued for about a 1/2 mile till I heard the loudest noise reverberating from the wall I was driving alongside. Sounded like what I would assume is the ratchet mechanism in the hubs, it was loud. But I made it home an additional 100 miles with no issues once I disengaged the hubs.

Take your hubs off, take the inner pawl out so it's basically just a dust cap and then drive it around for a bit checking for noise. You'll probably be fine once you either swap in another set of auto hubs or swap over to a set of factory manual hubs. The hub is designed to be the weak link so the rest of the system doesn't take the damage, I only suggest taking them apart incase one is damaged to the point that it randomly engages which is highly unlikely but it's what I'd do.

I'd also swap to manual hubs that way you know they're locked or unlocked and if you're trying to rock yourself out of a hole they won't be locking and unlocking as you change direction.

Also check your cv axles for any up and down play (the shaft will move in and out slightly)

• Like 1

Take your hubs off, take the inner pawl out so it's basically just a dust cap and then drive it around for a bit checking for noise. You'll probably be fine once you either swap in another set of auto hubs or swap over to a set of factory manual hubs. The hub is designed to be the weak link so the rest of the system doesn't take the damage, I only suggest taking them apart incase one is damaged to the point that it randomly engages which is highly unlikely but it's what I'd do.

I'd also swap to manual hubs that way you know they're locked or unlocked and if you're trying to rock yourself out of a hole they won't be locking and unlocking as you change direction.

Also check your cv axles for any up and down play (the shaft will move in and out slightly)

Thanks RCW, I'll do that. They stopped making noise after I figured out what was wrong but that sounds like the safest solution. Manual hubs were pretty much next on my list of purchases so If that's all that might have gone messed up I'm not too worried now.

The CV's have maybe only 15k on them so they shouldn't have any play hopefully.

Edited by Backpacker

Thanks RCW, I'll do that. They stopped making noise after I figured out what was wrong but that sounds like the safest solution. Manual hubs were pretty much next on my list of purchases so If that's all that might have gone messed up I'm not too worried now.

The CV's have maybe only 15k on them so they shouldn't have any play hopefully.

It could've been worse but hopefully it didn't damage anything more than the hubs. I swapped to manual hubs on my 87 and it's barely half way through my build sheet, but once it's done I can't wait to get back out to my old spots.

Oh and by the way I'd go ahead and change your front differential gear oil and your transfer case just incase, especially the front differential though.

It could've been worse but hopefully it didn't damage anything more than the hubs. I swapped to manual hubs on my 87 and it's barely half way through my build sheet, but once it's done I can't wait to get back out to my old spots.

Oh and by the way I'd go ahead and change your front differential gear oil and your transfer case just incase, especially the front differential though.

Yeah that's next on my list too haha. As of right now I have 5qts of mt90 in the back for the trans but have yet to get the drain bolt off, need to find a buddy with an impact maybe. I bought a 1/2"-3/4" adapter to grind down for a snug fit to the drain bolts, but I want to try the impact before I go through all that trouble.

Becareful with the impact on the drain plug, use a propane torch to heat up around it and use a breaker bar. Have you been able to remove the fill plug first or are you going to fill it up through the shifter hole on top?

Becareful with the impact on the drain plug, use a propane torch to heat up around it and use a breaker bar. Have you been able to remove the fill plug first or are you going to fill it up through the shifter hole on top?

I was thinking about just doing it through the shifter and leaving the fill alone. I tried propane and a breaker already, maybe I didn't get it hot enough. I have yet to try after a long highway drive maybe that'll do the trick.

A long drive plus a torch should do the trick, I've never had one that was stuck though. Always just heated em up and popped em free with a breaker bar.

I ran over (through) a snowbank at work. It was larger and more dense than it looked. Cracked bumper cover. Now I want/need something steel. Plastic skid plate is fine - but I'll likely upgrade that as well. Snow packed into the lower bumper, lights, grille parts. Zip tie repair for now.

31043488773_5e8baf7207_b.jpg

• Like 1

Installed a Dual 300W sub that the PO threw in with the truck when I bought it. He picked a really bad ground for it and when I tried his wiring it was in protect mode. Moved the ground wire and it works really good! Had a chance to open the radio up and check his wiring job.

Got a lot of new tools today and ordered my superlift upper control arms and panhard bracket on Friday. And a snorkel too :)

Snorkel one day.

Came home to my mom's for Christmas and found some of my tools, my oil filter relocation kit and external transmission filter, and my rear stainless steel like to the t block.

Snorkel one day.

Came home to my mom's for Christmas and found some of my tools, my oil filter relocation kit and external transmission filter, and my rear stainless steel like to the t block.

I ordered a snorkel since I tend to nose dive up to the wipers through the ruts where everyone else tears up the woods trying to show off and I've come close to hydrolocking a few times. When I get it I'll take a ton of pics since I haven't seen anything on this type in depth on the forum. I can't wait for everything to arrive so I can use all my new tools.

bought the 88 and 95 that was in the for sale section drove the 95 home yesterday and started in on the bodywork, think I'll have it all back together tomorrow using the parts off the 94 for the 95 haha same color. the 94 threw a rod so I'll be using engine parts from it for the 88 maybe even swap out the mpi and dash from the 94