What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

I got really excited because she got in two consecutive tanks 16.9 and 17.7 MPG......then 450 miles into my 1300 mile trip........she just quit on me at 70 mph on the interstate.....we coasted to the shoulder and I tried to restart her......nada......turn the key to the on position and all dummy lights come on and the radio works and the AC even blows cold........all without the engine running.....no click...no slow starter....no nothing......just put a new starter, new yellow top optima, new to me, but working maxi alty, new plugs, new rotor.....new cap.....new belts.....she just lost power and died......called a wrecker a nd we were loaded up and on the way to the Stealership and the dang wrecker had a blowout!!!!!an hour and a half later we were back on the road.....the closest stealership to where it happened has her now and is gonna do whatever is necessary to fix her.......oh, and I checked.....good oil, water and tranny fluid....changed the oil a while back so a fairly new filter too......thank goodness I was able to get a rental on my Government Travel card!!!!! had to get a Mazda 6.....some AHole had just gotten the last Altima.....I wanted to try to keep it in the family, ya know!!!!!! If it weren't for bad luck..........

I got really excited because she got in two consecutive tanks 16.9 and 17.7 MPG......then 450 miles into my 1300 mile trip........she just quit on me at 70 mph on the interstate.....we coasted to the shoulder and I tried to restart her......nada......turn the key to the on position and all dummy lights come on and the radio works and the AC even blows cold........all without the engine running.....no click...no slow starter....no nothing......just put a new starter, new yellow top optima, new to me, but working maxi alty, new plugs, new rotor.....new cap.....new belts.....she just lost power and died......called a wrecker a nd we were loaded up and on the way to the Stealership and the dang wrecker had a blowout!!!!!an hour and a half later we were back on the road.....the closest stealership to where it happened has her now and is gonna do whatever is necessary to fix her.......oh, and I checked.....good oil, water and tranny fluid....changed the oil a while back so a fairly new filter too......thank goodness I was able to get a rental on my Government Travel card!!!!! had to get a Mazda 6.....some AHole had just gotten the last Altima.....I wanted to try to keep it in the family, ya know!!!!!! If it weren't for bad luck..........

Did you check your grounds?

Put a new factory Nissan CHTS in it and what do ya know, runs like a top for the most part. Learned my lesson about buying a cheapo one off Rock Auto!

Yea I got burned by rock auto too. I never had a problem with their parts before but the reverse light switch I just got from them was shorted. As soon as I turned on the key it blew the fuse. It's not worth sending back for $10 so I got one from Orielly for $14 and all is good.

James

It's not worth sending back for $10

The few times I've had bad or damaged parts, RockAuto shipped out a new one for free. I didn't even need to send back the part.

I do prefer OEM parts for engine and emission control sensors though.

Greased my driveshaft. The Harbor Freight grease gun I was using broke, so I bought a Plews grease gun from Walmart. It seems to be better quality so far and was easy to prime and remove from the grease fitting. I also switched to Valvoline DuraBlend grease (from SuperTech Moly-Lithium).

Finally installed my GM Suburban/Van horn (don't remeber what it was exactly). :D now ive got a BEEEP! instead of meeeeeeeeeep!

now i just need to find another. i didnt realize at the time that pathy had two horns. :D

well in the entire time owning my pathfinder it has never had even one working key for the outside of the truck. My keyless entry was the only way to lock/unlock the trunk.

Well my battery died the other night, right dead, still to be determined what caused it. I was locked out of my truck and I didn't even lock my keys in.

Phoned tow truck to open up the door and decided it's time to make my one working key (ignition) work on my whole truck!

so off I went to the junk yard and got 1 good driver door lock cylinder and sensor from a 95 to replace the smashed in driver door lock cylinder, pulled 4 extra cylinders for parts.

replaced my broken drivers door lock cylinder (someone had screw drivered it at some point), straightened the bent metal around the lock hole.

gutted the 4 extra lock cylinders for the pins, measured with a digital caliper and organized to the 4 types into bags.

took my passenger door lock out (it didn't match the ignition) and began the learning process!

So far I have my driver/passenger doors rekeyed to my ignition! Still have to do glove box and hatch glass today. Screw paying a lock smith!

Total cost to replace broken lock and rekey the others: 10$ :D

Edited by Nefarious
  • Like 1

Well, last week I sent my Pathy away.....to wait for me to play in the mountains of GA and later in URE in NC :jig:

My friend towed it with his diesel F350 to save me at least some of the strain on my gasoline Tahoe.

Pulled/cleaned/gapped the spark plugs, took a polishing wheel to my rims, then did a complete wash & wax. Vacuumed out the inside and armor alled the dash :)

Welded some steel to repair the frame rot preventing me from passing inspection. Had to cut away some of the rear wheel well sheet metal to get access. Fashioned a new exhaust hanger and bolted/welded it onto the new frame piece.

just had nail pulled from tire (didn't leak), rebalanced, pressured and rotated. It's amazing how smooth these things ride without a mixed bag of low and out of balance tires.

About a month ago I did the timing belt. When I was putting the skid plate back on I noticed the outer cv boots were torn. Got things apart and the lower ball joints were bad. So New shafts and ball joints. Alignment done and hopefully I am done for a while.

Just finished rekeying all my locks... went from one key working in the ignition and no keys that work in the doors or hatch. Thanks p.o.. to one key for everything, and I can finally open my hatch glass! Happy day lol.

Today I changed my rear differential fluid. I used the 13mm Harbor Freight drain plug socket. It fit in quite well. I used a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. The fill plug loosened off with a couple raps on a 24" breaker bar. The drain plug also loosened easily using a slightly shorter breaker bar (actually a broken torque wrench with its ratcheting mechanism still functional). I had no problems tightening the plugs either using a working, unabused torque wrench to 50 ft-lbs.

The old fluid was Valvoline High Performance (white bottle) 80W-90 gear oil in use for approximately 11k miles. There was some fuzz on the drain plug magnet, but not a giant mushroom cloud. The fluid looked amber and clear when draining, but in the drain pan it looked greyish. 3 quarts of Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil went in. I used the gear oil pump that fits in both quart and gallon jugs. It made the job significantly easier and cleaner, and I was done with the entire service in approximately 45 minutes.

Ran him for a couple minutes while he's buried in the yard at work... poor little guy. (need to get him checked over for safty insp so I can get a stamp)