4WD not working - need help!

Please help! I have a 94 Pathfinder LE and have lost my 4WD. I am trying to diagnose the problem before I start tearing things apart and replacing stuff that works just fine. Here are the symptoms:

For quite some time, I’ve had a noise coming from my front end that I only hear when the car is moving and is related to the speed of the car and not the RPMs of engine. I thought it was the bearings, as it’s kind of a whirring sound and not grinding. I think I can feel it through the gas pedal, too. When it first started, I checked the differential fluid level, and the level was fine. I did not dump the fluid and look for metal shavings. The differential fluid was changed about 10,000 miles ago with Mobil One Synthetic 75W-90.

Also, after I started hearing the whirring sound, I sometimes heard my tires letting out a little squeal when turning sharply on the road. I haven’t heard that in a while, but I have the windows up and the heat on since it’s winter. I use reverse each morning as I leave for work and sometimes hear/feel a pop in the suspension (I think front-passenger side) as I start to turn the wheel, but I don’t think I’ve heard that in a while. My lower ball joints have busted boots, though. Also, I noticed oil/grease on both hubs one day, wiped it off, and it hasn’t returned.

Recently, I went to use the 4WD, and it was clear I have none. The lever in the car moves into position and I hear the usual plinking sound and 4WD light comes on, but there is clearly no 4WD as I’m sliding all over the snowy roads. One other thing, using the lever to put it into 4WD is way too easy. My experience is that I almost always had to fiddle with the lever in the truck and apply some force before the 4WD engaged. Putting the truck in neutral always made it easier, but still required a couple tries. It now slides into position without any effort or resistance.

Based on my searches, I believe it is a shredded front differential (wrong fluid?) or a combination of jammed out-locking hubs and busted CV axles. Any help on diagnosing/fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated, and those in the Salt Lake City will get homebrew!

Please help! I have a 94 Pathfinder LE and have lost my 4WD. I am trying to diagnose the problem before I start tearing things apart and replacing stuff that works just fine. Here are the symptoms:

For quite some time, I’ve had a noise coming from my front end that I only hear when the car is moving and is related to the speed of the car and not the RPMs of engine. I thought it was the bearings, as it’s kind of a whirring sound and not grinding. I think I can feel it through the gas pedal, too. When it first started, I checked the differential fluid level, and the level was fine. I did not dump the fluid and look for metal shavings. The differential fluid was changed about 10,000 miles ago with Mobil One Synthetic 75W-90.

Also, after I started hearing the whirring sound, I sometimes heard my tires letting out a little squeal when turning sharply on the road. I haven’t heard that in a while, but I have the windows up and the heat on since it’s winter. I use reverse each morning as I leave for work and sometimes hear/feel a pop in the suspension (I think front-passenger side) as I start to turn the wheel, but I don’t think I’ve heard that in a while. My lower ball joints have busted boots, though. Also, I noticed oil/grease on both hubs one day, wiped it off, and it hasn’t returned.

Recently, I went to use the 4WD, and it was clear I have none. The lever in the car moves into position and I hear the usual plinking sound and 4WD light comes on, but there is clearly no 4WD as I’m sliding all over the snowy roads. One other thing, using the lever to put it into 4WD is way too easy. My experience is that I almost always had to fiddle with the lever in the truck and apply some force before the 4WD engaged. Putting the truck in neutral always made it easier, but still required a couple tries. It now slides into position without any effort or resistance.

Based on my searches, I believe it is a shredded front differential (wrong fluid?) or a combination of jammed out-locking hubs and busted CV axles. Any help on diagnosing/fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated, and those in the Salt Lake City will get homebrew!

Some quick thoughts:

So the power goes thru the transfer case , then to front drive shaft, then to front diff , then to CV axel ,then to wheel hub. All this is probably pretty obvious to you. I would get to a garage and have the truck lifted so you can see underneath[i would NOT do this on stands/jacks in your garage because it would be too dangerous]Lock the hubs, run the engine, engage the 4WD , and see what turns. If front drive shaft turns , so far so good , if cv axel turns then it's probably the hubs. Guessing by what you describe my money is on the CV joints , but you'll have to just see. This would be one way you could trace out the problem to diagnose and make proper repairs. Good Luck!

glenn

I vote for either a CV or an autohub issue. Get someone to sit in the truck, throw it in 4wd, roll forward about 10 feet. Put it back in 2wd but don't reverse to unlock the hubs. Get them to roll forward again and watch, if both cvs turn then the hubs are working, if one isn't turning, then you've found your issue.

If you don't have someone to help you can pull the parking brake up just enough to allow the truck to slowly crawl so you can get out and watch.

Okay, so I followed the advice glenn and adamzan and here are the results:

I have power from the front drive shaft into the front differential. After that, the CV axle on the driver's side spins up to the CV joint and nothing beyond that. On the passenger side, no spinning at all of the CV axle out of the differential. Also, I went against glenn's advice and did this both on the driveway while rolling and having the car jacked up. Even when jacked up, the driver's side wheel does not turn.

Thoughts? From adamzan's post, I guess it is the passenger hub, but some clarification would be great.

Thanks!

Your drivers side hub is the problem. I would take it apart and clean it/check for damage but I have a feeling that it is the "brake" plates that engage the hubs. They wear out over time. There is a thread around here somewhere with pictures of what I'm talking about. I'll try and find it for you. If you take the 2 brake plates and put them together they should be a certain thickness and should not slip while stuck together.

Here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24663&view=findpost&p=450121

Now if that is the problem your options are:

-Buy new brake plates from nissan (about 60 dollars when I last checked).

-Get some from a JY and take your chances.

-Get manual hubs.

-Live with 2wd only. :lol:

I'm sorry I should have said that when one cv spins but no tire movement on that side and nothing at all on the other it is normal because it is an open differential.

I hope I didn't just confuse you more.

Edited by adamzan

I would start by checking the hubs since that is quick and easy.

Following that, I think it could be drive axle/CV's I had a very similar (identical?) situation a while back.

It is posted under "shifting on the fly"...

There are some very helpful posts on swapping the drive axles on this site too (eg 12 point-12mm socket...)

Sounds like drive axles/CV to me though...and like Adamzan said an open Diff will spin like that.

I have power from the front drive shaft into the front differential. After that, the CV axle on the driver's side spins up to the CV joint and nothing beyond that. On the passenger side, no spinning at all of the CV axle out of the differential. Also, I went against glenn's advice and did this both on the driveway while rolling and having the car jacked up. Even when jacked up, the driver's side wheel does not turn.

Thoughts? From adamzan's post, I guess it is the passenger hub, but some clarification would be great.

Thanks!

I would start by checking the hubs since that is quick and easy.

Following that, I think it could be drive axle/CV's I had a very similar (identical?) situation a while back.

It is posted under "shifting on the fly"...

There are some very helpful posts on swapping the drive axles on this site too (eg 12 point-12mm socket...)

Sounds like drive axles/CV to me though...and like Adamzan said an open Diff will spin like that.

Thanks!

Okay, so I removed the hubs and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. There was lots of grease, although it did seem a bit runny. I've cleaned up the hubs a little and taken a couple of photos (left side in the first photo; right side in the second). Let me know if you see anything unusual. One thing I will note is that when I pulled off the right hub, the washer/ring/brake inside of the hub was loose, so it fell out along with the spring. I don't know if that would prevent the hub from locking. I'll note the hubs appeared to be in the same position, and in the same position as the first photo in the second group of photos in the link provided by adamzan...or the 2WD position. I tried to put the "brakes" together and measure them, but they don't fit together very well and kind of rock back and forth. Maybe I didn't have them lined up just right. Everything is soaking in brake cleaner, so I'll try again after the soak.

LeftHub1.jpg

RightHub1.jpg

So after I pulled off the hubs and they looked okay, I started looking at other things. The truck is presently jacked in the front and in 2WD Hi. I spun the front axle and both CV axles spun in the same direction coming out of the front differential. They also spun at the CV joint closest the wheel and spun at the hub (removed). However, I took a closer look at the left CV joint, and I think it is the culprit. The boot is definitely compressed (I wouldn't say twisted, though), but if you look in the photos, it is offset toward the rear of the car and the axle has rubbed against the front shock (note the missing paint). The front shocks were replaced in the last 2k miles, so the rubbing must be recent.

LeftCV3.jpg

LEFT SIDE

LeftCV2.jpg

LEFT SIDE

RightCV1.jpg

RIGHT SIDE

So I've ordered a new CV axle and am cleaning the hubs. While everything is apart, I'm going to replace the lower ball joints, take off my Thorleys and go back to the stock manifolds and pipes. I've never been able to get the collector gaskets to seal; I burn through the copper gaskets in about 3 months.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If the brakes don't fit together right like you said, then they are fine. It's when they can slide into one another and you can turn them that it is a problem. Looks like your cv axle is the culprit. It's not supposed to rub on the shock lol.