was having a pretty good day until a Ford hit my PF

ahardb0dy

Was on my way home this afternoon from work, my buddy was right in front of me, come to section of the road where the ramp coming off a toll road merges into road we were on, traffic moves and my buddy pulls up and I proceed to follow him, than I look to my right and there is a Ford Excursion ( or expedition) coming right at me, this guy wasn't even going to stop. So I was already halfway out in front of him. Than the customary swearing back and forth starts with me trying to point out that he had a yield sign. So traffic moves again and I pull into the turning lane right in front of this guy (and his wife), we're still yelling at each other and than the idiot decides to turn right and pull in the middle lane, and proceeds to drive right into the corner of my truck !! thought he was pulling up next to me to curse me out some more but he kept going and pulled up to the traffic light. I didn't freak out like I would have a few years I figured his truck was a lot newer and nicer than mine and if he wasn't concerned oh well, I make my turn and get on the turnpike than pull over into the grass to get out and see what was damaged, nothing too bad, a dent in the corner part of the bumper, which pushed the bumper into the body causing a small dent. I thought being the ford was so big he wouldn't have had any damage but my buddy looked at his truck as he went by and told me he had a good sized dent in his bumper!! Got home took a few pics than cleaned the bumper off and pulled the bumper out a little.

Related question, if I pick up a new bumper end, are the studs that secure it to the center part of the bumper on the end piece or on the center part??

couple pics below kind of hard to see, don't think the pathfinder did too bad vs the full size ford, if I had been driving my lowered sentra he probably would have taken out the tail light, corner of the quarter panel and the trunk !!

2ltllrc.jpg

dcr5lw.jpg

I checked behind the bumper end with my hand and I think I may be able to bang the dent out a little at least until I can replace the end, it's not as bad as I thought it was but still, I just painted the bumpers not too long ago. Would have been better if it was a 4 wheeling bruise!!

the dent in the body I may be able to push out thru the tail light opening will look at it more on the weekend.

I checked behind the bumper end with my hand and I think I may be able to bang the dent out a little at least until I can replace the end, it's not as bad as I thought it was but still, I just painted the bumpers not too long ago. Would have been better if it was a 4 wheeling bruise!!

the dent in the body I may be able to push out thru the tail light opening will look at it more on the weekend.

Yeah, all that metal is pretty thin....I'd just take the bumper out, and smack it for a bit..

good thing you just painted it really, cause fresh paint will blend in wonderfully!

Related question, if I pick up a new bumper end, are the studs that secure it to the center part of the bumper on the end piece or on the center part??

There are two 'bolts' and one stud from what I can tell (1995 should be the same). One round headed 'bolt' on the bottom, one on the top under the rubber and in between the two it looks like a stud attached to the end piece. I'm not 100% sure without taking it apart, but that is what it looks like and it doesn't make any sense any other way of how it would come apart.

I'm sorry about the damage, it was obviously absolutely unnecessary. I will say this though, if you value your Pathy, get/make aftermarket bumpers; the stock ones are useless and only for cosmetics.

B

Adds character.

When I saw the title I was hoping you didn't have a front end collision and broke the super nice front grill I want to come by and steal look at one day. Glad to see it was something more minor ;)

Guess it could have been worse. Stupid idiot scraped the paint on the passenger side of my pathy this week in a parking lot. Naturally he didn't stick around to talk about it :/

Come on up and I will build you some nice real bumpers for your truck!

I wouldn't even take a second look at that. Have you seen my rear bumper? :lol:

no I haven't, from how it felt I was hit I thought it would be worse, but your right it isn't that bad and at least the dent is on the end cap, and the one on the body is hard to see with the black paint.

I put worse looking ends on my bumper...

The end comes off with a bolt at the bottom, one under the top trim and a nut/stud in the center (on the back side), the stud and all threaded parts are part of the end, not the bumper.

I will say however that your front end alignment is farked! Holy crap, I'm assuming the rear tires were rotated from the front???

actuallly the alignment seems pretty good....NOW !! I have not had it aligned since I bought it but the previous owner (one of my coworkers) had a neighbor put an engine and tranny in it fo him, guess the guy didn't know how to set the torsion bars and my buddy is the type that doesn't fix anything until it breaks so he just drove the way it was, the torsion bars were so far off that the pass side fender, with out the flare you could barely get 2 fingers between the tire and the bottom of the fender lip, I took both bars out and re-indexed them, and than put the flares back on and could get my whole hand between the tire and the flare, that's how low the pass. side front was.

the way the PF was before I bought it:

2irrzw5.jpg

after re-indexing the bars:

r27wxz.jpg

I'd be pretty proud of a Pathfinder bumper holding up that well against an Excursion. Those rigs aren't light and are SOLID. Usually a Pathfinder bumper bends if you look at it wrong.