Driver Side Valve Cover Gasket Installation

blackspawn

i have not done this on a pathfinder, but on a z31, at first glance it looks like the intake manifold will definatly have to be removed, after it should be a piece of cake.

I was afraid of that; I guess I'll have to wait for the weather to cooperate in order to do it..can you say SPRINGTIME!

you may be able to try to get to the screws and tighten them but i found it not really helpful...so i wait until a tbelt change...we just did my gf's new ot her 95...we did valve cover gaskets, timing belt, cam seals, t-stat and water pump

here's the upper intake off (note there is still one screw behind the distributor which i had to pull to get the screw out):

148309_751794720557_36619102_40784142_3133766_n.jpg

heres with the covers off and the gf scraping the wp gasket:

154702_752227338587_36619102_40795508_4268330_n.jpg

the worst part of the entire job is 2 little coolant lines on the back side of the upper intake...they're a pain to get off and a bigger PITFA to get back on...it took my gf's small hands and my hand strength to get the clams on...worm clams may be an intelligent upgrade here...other than that make sure to hook up the vacuum line on the back side of the intake...i'd reccomend hex head sockets if not i use alan wrenches with a box end as a torque arm...while your in there do spark plugs and maybe plug wires

you may be able to try to get to the screws and tighten them but i found it not really helpful...so i wait until a tbelt change...we just did my gf's new ot her 95...we did valve cover gaskets, timing belt, cam seals, t-stat and water pump

here's the upper intake off (note there is still one screw behind the distributor which i had to pull to get the screw out):

148309_751794720557_36619102_40784142_3133766_n.jpg

heres with the covers off and the gf scraping the wp gasket:

154702_752227338587_36619102_40795508_4268330_n.jpg

the worst part of the entire job is 2 little coolant lines on the back side of the upper intake...they're a pain to get off and a bigger PITFA to get back on...it took my gf's small hands and my hand strength to get the clams on...worm clams may be an intelligent upgrade here...other than that make sure to hook up the vacuum line on the back side of the intake...i'd reccomend hex head sockets if not i use alan wrenches with a box end as a torque arm...while your in there do spark plugs and maybe plug wires

I've done the timing belt and spark plugs, water pump, thermostat when I first bought the pathfinder a year ago... What concerns me is taking that dizzy out to get that last bolt off the valve cover! Seems like alot of work just for a d@*m valve cover gasket!!! I gotta do it because im sick of the oil off the manifold smoking inside the cab!!! Need to wait for a WARM weekend to do that. How long do you think it will take me to do the valve cover installation?

depending on you're experience and how many snafoo's happen i'd give yourself 3-6 hours...rebuilding the gf's rear brakes yesterday I found that the park brake cable lever in the rear drum was also tweaked...so I had to straighten it and then i broke the ring to put the clip through to hold it in place off when i was almost getting it straight so I had to drill and tap it since its a JY or dealer only item so i turned a 1-2 hr job into a 3 hr job...

• 1 year later...

to keep the smoke from coming in your cab just turn on inside air re-circulation. that's what i had to do on mine till payday and i can buy all the stuff to fix er up.

Edited by fixinto