Old Man Emu Top Strut Nut Issue

Fergie

Hello all,

I just finished installing a set of OME coils and shock in the rear of my 1996 Pathfinder, and a set of new struts and coils in the front.

For the front, I used the 143S and 144S struts, and the 921 coils. I had a local shop remove the top bearing plates from the old struts and install them on the new ones. THe bearing plates were in good shape and the rubber was too.

So, with the new coils installed on the new struts, I reinstalled everything and torqued the fasteners to spec.

Now, when the vehicle was resting on the ground, with all the weight it would have on it, I noticed that the top strut rod nut was not all the way tight to the top plate.

I tried tightening it further, but the rod just spun. You can see in the pictures below how much play there is.

So, what am I missing here? Were the coils not installed properly on the struts? Is there a spacer that needs to be used specific to the coils and struts? What???

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate the help.

Gavin

Passenger side:

P1010164.jpg

Driver Side:

P1010165.jpg

That is not the case, but thanks.

A short call to ARB USA lead to the solution!

The struts did not come with the required spacer for this installation, hence the gap.

The spacers are on their way from WA and I should be good to go.

Are those Old Man Emu struts???? How long have you had them??? When i searched for my stuff in the summer...there wasnt a pair to be found in North America...I made dozens of phone calls...finally got a call back from an ARB rep who said they were removed from the shelves for a "redesign" I later found out that they were catastrophically failing within the first year of service on a regular basis. (Arb birdie told me)

I Really wanted to go with all OME...at first i "settled" for KYB struts...but now realize they are the @!*%!!!!!

Tye

Are those Old Man Emu struts???? How long have you had them??? When i searched for my stuff in the summer...there wasnt a pair to be found in North America...I made dozens of phone calls...finally got a call back from an ARB rep who said they were removed from the shelves for a "redesign" I later found out that they were catastrophically failing within the first year of service on a regular basis. (Arb birdie told me)

I Really wanted to go with all OME...at first i "settled" for KYB struts...but now realize they are the @!*%!!!!!

Tye

Tye,

Yes, those are OME 143 and 144 struts, with 921 coils.

I bought them from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters in January of 2010, and am just getting around to installing them on the Pathfinder.

I didn't have any issue ordering them, and when I spoke with ARB just this morning, there was no mention of a bad design or anything of that nature.

What I find out is that the "new" boxes had been pilfered of the required spacers...ARB is taking care of that though, so no complaints.

Um, let me try to help here.

I had the uber expensive EMU sh** on my 98 and yes they did die ultra fast. They made terrible noise when backing and wheel turned to the right...turns out that the front right strut was dead and dry inside of a year and that noise was its resistance. Not flattering for that kind of dough.

I now have KYB GR-2's and they have been great for 3 years. If you are really offroading you may want a stiffer front strut but with my lift and 3/4" spacers they have been champs!

I got the vehicle back up and running the other day, and once again, I am pleased as can be with Old Man Emu products.

This makes the 4th OME suspension system on as many vehicles, and I will continue to buy their products!

For the record, this was a .5" lift, basically stock height but with better handling and load carrying capability.