Foreign Object Debris

Radwaste

Hello all. First post, long time lurker.

I was doing some monthly maintenance today and came across what looks like a piece of wire brush fitted inside the line going from my crank vent manifold to the hose connected to my intake.

The Pathy has 210K miles and I've owned her less than a year. I'm wondereing what purpose a restriction like that would serve, as it had to be deliberately placed.

IMG_3038.jpgIMG_3037.jpg

So far I've removed it.

I doubt this item broke off during a cleaning sometime in the past, as there isn't much to clean. My thoughts are the previous owner put this in line to reduce the amount of non clean/cold air going to intake, or this is the last filter/mesh to catch any remaining oil, etc before being vacuumed into the throttle body.

Thanks for the replies.

Lol, hey guys, that thing belongs in there as odd as that seems!

Apparently it is supposed to stop "oil" flow through the ventilation.

Whether it is a physical barrier or it slows vacuum enough to prevent it I am not sure. My 98 had that too, at best I would check that the bristles are in good attached shape and put it back, maybe with the tail end of it flared up a bit so it can't move in there for sure.

EDIT: I would love to see the part number and description on that just for fun!!

Edited by 02silverpathy

Thanks for the reply. I ended up returning mine to where I found it based on several people finding identical 'strainers/screens or whatever it's called' in their rigs.

I think your right. It's purpose is to provide a torturous path for the blow by gases to flow and remove any remaining oil in the mix.

Thanks!