battery hooked up backwards

slade420

ugh, im having a bad day, after all the work was done i like a moron, hooked up the battery backwards, and this happened :crossedwires: I was doing wiring and took the battery out... i realized when i hooked it up and seen smoke rise up from the alternator. now the dash wont light up... *sigh* any help would be just lovely.

p.s. to add insult to injury i slipped on the ice on my deck and ended up on my back. like i said im having a bad day.

Yeah, fuse box and fusable links first. Stay calm, grab your multimeter and start seeing where the voltage goes and doesn't go. Plenty of people near you have parts trucks so wiring type items should be pretty easy to find.

Yeah, that was pretty boneheaded. I hope damage is minimal.

B

Not good...just to make you feel better here:

I was giveing my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) about 18 yrs ago, a lesson on changing the battery, carefully explaining the difference between pos/neg. You know the colour diff, and the +/- symbols......well i had just bought a Crappy Tire battery, not an exact replacement...well it would only fit in the battery holder one way ( the opposite to the orig.)...so i put it in and continued explaining the dangers of getting the cables wrong to my wife when i hooked up the second cable, amid a small shower of sparks too, yet i continued to tighten the cable down.

Needless to say smoke and such insued.....ALL fus. links fried, fuses fried, and worst of all the ECM!!! A big mess indeed.

I FEEL your pain...i was only 17 yrs old sooooo i blame it on my pretty wife distracting me...LOL

Tye

I know that doesnt help your situation...but dont feel too bad..youre not the only one!!!

thanks everyone for the help. i fixed the problem, luckily it was pretty simple, a blown fuse and a melted wire going to the alternator. now thats done, im back to my original problem of the starter before the "melt down". i think its the stater cylinoid. all im getting is a single click noise when trying to start... did i mention i hate electrical.

Agreed, problems electrical suck!!

Still, this shouldn't be too bad... Check the voltage at the starter when you crank it, if you get less than 10-11 volts (IIRC) it could just be the wire to it. ALso, is the battery good (I have had them fail during a 2 mile drive) and make sure you have a good ground (and positive) connection, you won't get enough draw without it.

k9sar wrote up an excellent starter troubleshoot/repair post but I don't think it is pinned anywhere. It should be so if you find it, post a link please...

B

are you sure its a starter click? and not the accessories' relay click?

I thought my car was in P when it was really in D on the dunes once, it clicks once for everything interior turning on, but won't crank...

tried starting it in N?

its definitely is coming from the starter/ or solenoid, i have a separate starter button :tongue:

I'd suggest temporarily jumping to the starter or solenoid direct from the battery, with a fuse inline of course. You'll be sure as to where the click is coming from, and you will also either exclude your stock wiring as a problem, or go on to find the problem in the wiring.