Rear springs, looking to maintain stock height with 600lb load

WOT

And those gave you the lift to match the SFD, right? Are you just running stock coils up front?

The 3" coils did yup. I am stock in front.

if it were me, i'd stray away from having to cut the WJ coils to suit your ride height needs. cutting or heating coils has never been a good idea in any situation that i've come across. that's just me though.

Cutting coils with a zip-disc or plasma is fine. Your only affecting the very end of a coil.

Heating the coil is a big no-no, I agree there. You are changing the metal properties in the middle of the coil where it actually does work.

I guess I will just give them a call when Im off nightshift, Id rather buy local anyways. There site just didnt list anything about them

Do you personally run OME springs?? I hear good things on there ride quality. Ill tell them my story I guess and see what they say, keeping medium duties in mind. Having a drop in spring would be nice instead of having to weld something onto the perch like I was going to for the WJ coils... but there so much cheaper

Yepr...i have OME MD in rear and HD in front of my 01...ill be honest...when i get a couple people in the back and some gear...it sags. These springs were made for load carrying properties more than "show" lift properties. know what i mean??? I searched ARB home site for distributors...i even called them, they directed me to all the ARB, and OME dealers within a couple hundred km radius!! Matt at National 4wd centres in Burlington...you need to casll these people, 95% of websited dont have all their items...esp. something as obscure as a "lift" for a pathy.

Tye

Just another part number question, at the very end of this thread there is mention of part number OME922, supposedly for the rears??

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11484&hl=ome%20part%20number&st=20

If I am orderring the rears only, is that the part number Im going for? Is there no difference in medium/heavy duty in the rear springs??

I have carried around 1000lbs in the rear of my R50. I had the rear seats folded and half a ton of pellets spread all through the back of my Pathfinder twice to get a ton of pellets home. With the AC springs I saw at most 1" of sag and the ride quality was almost the same as unloaded. I have been very impressed by my AC springs so far.

I do not think these will work for you because they will create 2+" of lift with very little sag, so you will have a muscle car rake.

ya not really going for the muscle car rake, I was more going for the lowerred look having the fender close to the tire with all my weight, but also not having the tire rub the inside...

I also have fairly big 2" wheel spacers I bought along time ago, debating putting those on and buying a slight lift, because if I put them on as it sits now, Id probably rip my fenders right off lol

OME922 is the rear MD coil. Rockyroads lists a rear HD coil, but my understanding is there only was MD, but I might be wrong.

My back end sits high with the OME922s. I got a more dramatic rake angle. Not sure what it would look like if left stock.

Frankly though, if your old springs are worn out I'd replace all four coils, whatever type you chose.

Ya Im debating keeping my car low and trying to keep it like I have, which is lower than stock, but maintain the weight somehow

Or if I should lift it 3" rear with WJ coils, 2" medium duty front. And throw my wheel spacers on it.

Mind you my wheel tucks in behind the fender right now if I get 2 people to step on the hitch, if I were to space them out, is there a good chance of hitting the fender?? Ive never done spacers before and dont know much much lift is needed to clear if I were to space them out and go for that wide look

Ya Im debating keeping my car low and trying to keep it like I have, which is lower than stock, but maintain the weight somehow

Or if I should lift it 3" rear with WJ coils, 2" medium duty front. And throw my wheel spacers on it.

Mind you my wheel tucks in behind the fender right now if I get 2 people to step on the hitch, if I were to space them out, is there a good chance of hitting the fender?? Ive never done spacers before and dont know much much lift is needed to clear if I were to space them out and go for that wide look

I think they only offer the MD coil for the back...about wheel spacers...look at my sig see my list of mods...i didnt rub on my fenders UNTIL i put on my 1.5" spacers on the front. Its just a little, and only when in reverse!

Tye

Have a pic of it spaced out 1.5"? Why would it rub if it was spaced out more?

I dont know Y...it kinda baffled me, but that is the way it is!!!!! Ill take a pic today...not much to see tho...my 15" steel rims have the same or more BS than the stock ones..with the spacers on now, they just barely stick out past the flares.

Tye

They are rubbing on the fender now, not the struts or anything likt that

depends on which model of the OME coils you get.

if you get the heavier duty OME coils, it will obviously give you more lift because it's designed to carry more weight. same amount of lift, but just a higher spring rate/stiffer spring.

I'm confused...is it "obviously give you more lift" with the HDs? Or "same amount of lift"??

I'm confused...is it "obviously give you more lift" with the HDs? Or "same amount of lift"??

ok, let's just throw out some arbitrary numbers to hopefully illustrate it a little better.

first of all, that i'm aware of, all OME coils are of the same height. they all claim a 0.5" lift, so all coils should be roughly 0.5" taller than a factory Nissan coil.

let's say that a stock, R50, front clip weighs 2000lbs. so, the stock Nissan coils will lift the truck to a height of say 20" from the ground to the bumper (again, these are just random numbers i'm pulling out of the air to help illustrate how i think OME is describing their various coils). now, if you put the lightweight/stock load OME coils, you'll get a 0.5" lift from those coils.

now, if we put the MD OME coils on a stock, R50, front clip, the OME MD coils will more than likely "lift" the truck to maybe 0.75"-1". why? because the OME MD coils can hold up the R50 front clip with weight up to about 2300 lbs, but if 2500lbs isn't there, the stiffer MD coil will "lift" the truck higher. if we were to slap 300 or so more lbs onto the front of the truck, then the amount of "lift" would still be right about 0.5"

same situation for the OME HD coils. the OME HD coils can hold up to about 2600lbs. if we were to use the OME HD coils on a stock, R50, front clip, it will "lift" the truck to maybe 1.5" because the spring is stiffer and doesn't have to hold as much weight, therefore not compressing that coil as much.

hopefully that clears it up a bit more. again, not sure if that's exactly how OME designed them, but that's how i've come to understand it.

ok, let's just throw out some arbitrary numbers to hopefully illustrate it a little better.

first of all, that i'm aware of, all OME coils are of the same height. they all claim a 0.5" lift, so all coils should be roughly 0.5" taller than a factory Nissan coil.

let's say that a stock, R50, front clip weighs 2000lbs. so, the stock Nissan coils will lift the truck to a height of say 20" from the ground to the bumper (again, these are just random numbers i'm pulling out of the air to help illustrate how i think OME is describing their various coils). now, if you put the lightweight/stock load OME coils, you'll get a 0.5" lift from those coils.

now, if we put the MD OME coils on a stock, R50, front clip, the OME MD coils will more than likely "lift" the truck to maybe 0.75"-1". why? because the OME MD coils can hold up the R50 front clip with weight up to about 2300 lbs, but if 2500lbs isn't there, the stiffer MD coil will "lift" the truck higher. if we were to slap 300 or so more lbs onto the front of the truck, then the amount of "lift" would still be right about 0.5"

same situation for the OME HD coils. the OME HD coils can hold up to about 2600lbs. if we were to use the OME HD coils on a stock, R50, front clip, it will "lift" the truck to maybe 1.5" because the spring is stiffer and doesn't have to hold as much weight, therefore not compressing that coil as much.

hopefully that clears it up a bit more. again, not sure if that's exactly how OME designed them, but that's how i've come to understand it.

Hunh...well here's how I understood things...perhaps incorrectly.

The OME front coils all state 0.5" lift. But the LD, MD, and HD all have different load ratings. To me this means that no matter which of these coils you put say on a stock vehicle you would see 0.5" of lift and that the higher load capacities of MD and HD were achieved via "stiffer" springs...as opposed to being achieved by taller springs. Maybe I should just call Rugged Rocks to clear this up.

If I'm honest I can't remember. Try giving Bryson at Jeep Thrills a call, it's where I had my work done. He'll give you a quote and be able to answer who a local OME distributor is, he's a solid guy.

Thanks. I'll give him a call.

The OME front coils all state 0.5" lift. But the LD, MD, and HD all have different load ratings. To me this means that no matter which of these coils you put say on a stock vehicle you would see 0.5" of lift and that the higher load capacities of MD and HD were achieved via "stiffer" springs...as opposed to being achieved by taller springs. Maybe I should just call Rugged Rocks to clear this up.

Would be nice to know...

we're pretty much thinking along the same lines. just worded a little differently. all springs are at a 0.5" lift but it's all weight dependent.

Well some people claim more or less so it would be nice to know from a manufacturer how much lift it gave, front and rear in real world conditions.

I still dont know which to go with.

Well some people claim more or less so it would be nice to know from a manufacturer how much lift it gave, front and rear in real world conditions.

I still dont know which to go with.

Agreed. I would presume (strongly) that any stated lift amount of any spring assumes stock vehicle weight....otherwise there'd be no way to compare or plan for any given amount of lift on any vehicle with any spring. Now of course a vehicle weight that is different than stock will result in a variance in realized lift. And matters seem to be complicated by distributors misquoting actual designed lift amounts.

• 1 year later...

From what I understand the stock spring, MD, and HD springs are the same length. The reason they give a "lift" has nothing to do with length but has everything to do with spring rate. The more weight the spring can hold the less it will settle when the weight of the truck is put on it. That's were you get the "lift". If your ride is always holding more weight than stock like mine is. These MD or HD springs may only put you back to stock height due to the extra weight. They say it will give you lift but that's only if your ride is stock weight. Make sense?

The question is do you need the MD or HD spring to get the height you're looking for. I'm running into that problem myself. I don't think we'll know until we buy the springs. Unfortunately I'm not sure if the people selling springs will let you return them if they aren't what you want. I was thinking about getting 1.5 inch lift stock spring rate spring just because they are cheaper and with the amount of weight I plan on adding it might balance out after the springs sag from the weight.