Rear springs, looking to maintain stock height with 600lb load

WOT

Im at a bit of a crossroad on how I should proceed with my suspension. Ive got a 2wd R50, so Im not looking to lift it or anything. But I also have a constant load in the rear of my car of about 600lbs, which sags the stock springs pretty bad. Especially with my 29" rear tires, they rub on anything more than a slight bump. Mind you they have 110k on them

To battle the sag I was using the Airlift1000 kits, Ive been through 2 of the kits now, I dont know if its just to much weight for them, or if an ex girlfriend is cutting the bags, but they fail on me, and Id like to stop bandaiding the problem and just get nice springs.

Ive heard 99-04 Jeep WJ springs fit, with a simple spring perch mod and cutting off the top pigtail. Since I am looking for a stock ride height, or even .5-1" lower than stock, I was thinking stock WJ spring would work, since stock WJ's would give me 1" lift, and my weight would probably lower it quite a bit. Cheapest stock spring I could find, that ships to canada, is this one. I havent gotten a shipping quote back from them yet, but the spring price is good.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=OS-52088343&utm_source=cj

But those springs require a weld on perch, and they do make springs specifically for our R50's, so would it really be worth it.

I see alot of mixed answers on how much actual lift the OME springs offer, and 4x4parts.com website seems to be down at the moment but I remember them being about $150

My main concern is NOT actually lifting the rear of the truck, as my front is already lowerred and perfect where I want it. But I need to keep the rear from bottoming out from the weight, and another $120 in bandaid air bag kits isnt going to be my cup of tea this time around.

What would you guys do??

I think the OME springs might give you what you want, but it's hard to say and I'm not sure how you'd do a test without actually getting the springs. Call the guys at OME and ask them.

http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfindersus.html

What are you hauling around that's 600 lbs?

Edited by Howie

I think the OME springs might give you what you want, but it's hard to say and I'm not sure how you'd do a test without actually getting the springs. Call the guys at OME and ask them.

http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfindersus.html

What are you hauling around that's 600 lbs?

Well Im in canada and that site wants more for shipping then they do the actual springs!! lol

The 600lb load is a competition type stereo, 3 batteries and about 4 sheets of 3/4" birch total plus equipment. I moved the batteries to about the center of the cabin, which helped alot not having it right at the back against the hatch, but it still sags

The airlift1000 kit did the job perfect, but Im sick of blowing bags, and they dont honor there warranty

Where are you from? Your city or one near it likely has a local OME distributor.

OME springs will work but they'll probably give you some lift. If you're sagging out with a minimal load so your tires rub then your stock springs might just be shot and replacing them may do. You may also just be using the wrong type of vehicle...if you're transporting heavy stuff regularly, maybe you should consider a vehicle that was designed to carry that sort of weight or more.

Wrong type of vehicle no way!! This bitch can do it. And its different from all the exploders and tahoes in the shows I go to. I'll make it work

It bottoms out right now because I have removed the bump stops ( and discarded them stupidly ) for the airlift kits I was running

Phone your local offroad shops. I found out only after I'd ordered my springs from the states that one is a distributor but they aren't listed as being such by OME.

And Im from Milton, Ontario. Cant find any info on any OME ontario dealers just yet, Im very willing to drive though

Try National 4wd. They can probably get them for you, though, it may not be much cheaper than buying in the US and having them shipped.

Ya I called National 4wd and 4 other shops. I dont think local is really an option

I hear the .5" lift OME springs actually give 1.5" lift so that is kind of out of the running for me

I don't know if this an option for you but I have a US shipping address for my data recovery business, shipping to Washington state would be 19.43 for a pair of springs. I pay Customs and HST when they cross about another 30.00. The company I deal with does all the work and brings the stuff to their office, I just drive over and pickup and pay.

You may be able to setup one of those, mine cost nothing to have. It would be worth it to get the springs.

Wrong type of vehicle no way!! This bitch can do it. And its different from all the exploders and tahoes in the shows I go to. I'll make it work

It bottoms out right now because I have removed the bump stops ( and discarded them stupidly ) for the airlift kits I was running

Rather than install new coils, why not just get a new set of bump stops...? :scratchhead:

Because it will not solve the problem of the @!*% load carrying capacity the r50's have stock. He will still be riding on the bumpstops lol.

Calm down, Mr. Zanette!!! :lol:

Well, OEM coils suck, that's a fact. The only option is lift coils... Or custom coils. WOT, contact Kevin coilsprings.com, he's done a few orders for members on here for SFD projects. He could probably design stock-height coils with a higher spring rate to keep your rear end from sagging/topping out.

Ya I called National 4wd and 4 other shops. I dont think local is really an option

I hear the .5" lift OME springs actually give 1.5" lift so that is kind of out of the running for me

depends on which model of the OME coils you get.

if you get the heavier duty OME coils, it will obviously give you more lift because it's designed to carry more weight. same amount of lift, but just a higher spring rate/stiffer spring.

hmmmm

Ill send custom coils an email and see what kinda prices they can give me. Im quite cheap lol

Do you guys see a problem with buying just a pair of OEM rear jeep WJ springs?? I havent seen anyone use there stock height ones, but the person on here who used them, said there 3" lift coils for the jeep, gave our r50's 4" of lift.

So im thinking stock height factory WJ coils would maybe lift me just a bit, and I would weigh it down. But I dont know how the spring rates compare to my busted old ones. I have brand new GR2 shocks in the rear, everything stock upfront....

Keep in mind that the OME HD springs give 1.5" of lift on a Path that is stock. Medium duty provide less. Given your additional weight, it would likely be .75" or less after the springs have settled. With 500 lbs of tongue weight from a trailer, my Path sat at ~ factory ride height with HD springs, but of course, this was with the weight further back on the hitch.

if it were me, i'd stray away from having to cut the WJ coils to suit your ride height needs. cutting or heating coils has never been a good idea in any situation that i've come across. that's just me though.

Also, Ironrocks Offroad charged me about $60 to ship the WJ springs to Canada and it was here in a couple days.

I do like the idea of WJ coils, Ill check them out. Seems pretty easy to install if all you have to do is weld on a piece of 3" pipe to the stock perch, and cut off the top pigtail....

Being as I plan to get even bigger with the stereo, WJ coils see very affordable option

I do like the idea of WJ coils, Ill check them out. Seems pretty easy to install if all you have to do is weld on a piece of 3" pipe to the stock perch, and cut off the top pigtail....

Being as I plan to get even bigger with the stereo, WJ coils see very affordable option

heres my 2 cents worth...I would go with the OME MD springs in the rear...they have a stiffer spring rate than the stock 115 #inch. They give 0.5" of lift over stock height with 100-150 lbs over stock weight. I think that you would be at or just below stock height with that much weight and M.D. OME coils. National 4wd in Burlington got my OME coils for me...they are very close to the same price as the states.

TYE

Phone your local offroad shops. I found out only after I'd ordered my springs from the states that one is a distributor but they aren't listed as being such by OME.

Zibi. I am in Vancouver and I am looking to get the OEM parts. What shop did you find for that?

If I'm honest I can't remember. Try giving Bryson at Jeep Thrills a call, it's where I had my work done. He'll give you a quote and be able to answer who a local OME distributor is, he's a solid guy.

heres my 2 cents worth...I would go with the OME MD springs in the rear...they have a stiffer spring rate than the stock 115 #inch. They give 0.5" of lift over stock height with 100-150 lbs over stock weight. I think that you would be at or just below stock height with that much weight and M.D. OME coils. National 4wd in Burlington got my OME coils for me...they are very close to the same price as the states.

TYE

I guess I will just give them a call when Im off nightshift, Id rather buy local anyways. There site just didnt list anything about them

Do you personally run OME springs?? I hear good things on there ride quality. Ill tell them my story I guess and see what they say, keeping medium duties in mind. Having a drop in spring would be nice instead of having to weld something onto the perch like I was going to for the WJ coils... but there so much cheaper