Thermostat

Caleb

Well after researching the site a bit, I found a few threads about replacing thermostats, however they all seem to say something a little different.

I have a 92xe v6 model, now some say the the tstat is off the upper rad hose assembly, and others say its off the lower assembly.

Also I have read you need to remove the belts to get at it all.

I just wanting some clarification on where it is exactly and if I need to remove the belts/shroud and what not.

also I am hoping this will resolve my weird idle issues. The idle will flutter a lot, to a point where it will stall when coming to a stop.

because the engine wasnt warming up properly, I put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad to warm it up a little better, I know band-aid fix, but I get proper heat now, but it seems to have the idle issue after I did that.

I would only flutter once the engine was warm, at cold idle its fast and consistent.

The T-stat is in a housing off of the upper hose, tucked in against the block. IIRC you have to remove the upper timing belt cover (lower first??) to get to it.

Before you start changing parts, check the ECU for stored fault codes (write up in the Garage/How To section) first, it may give insight to the idle issue. We can cover other possible causes after that...

B

You shouldn't have to take the timing belt covers off to do the thermostat. I was able to get to it with just taking the AC belt idler pulley/bracket thing off and the fan shroud. Taking the fan off would make it even easier.

I would try wiggling your MAF sensor wires while the truck is idling weird. Very common problem. It is the one in the tube near the air filter.

well got it done... after about 8 hours....

would have had it done in prolly 5 but the stupid liquid gasket crap didnt seal the first time, so I had to pull most of it apart for round two.

ah well... its done now...

purrs like a kitten so far, will see how it runs now for the next few days...

Since it got really cold down here in the past weeks the pathy would not get heated up properly so I picked up a new T stat today. Thought I would take a few minutes and pop it in. Opened the hood and took a look at the location stuffed back in behind the belt pullys and thought "you know I think I will just take the pathy out on the beach on try and catch me a red drum".

Shut the hood and did just that. I didnt get a fish, but it was a pleasent afternoon instead of dealing with the issue. I wont need any cardboard as it is supposed to get back to 65 this weekend. I will do the job when I get more motivated and hope it doesnt take me 8 hours. From what I saw it looks more like 2 or 3. I think I will go fishing again tomorrow too...

I do not recall a gasket and I know many people just use a quality RTV after cleaning the adhesion surfaces and have no problems. If there was a gasket, I suspect that I used it, but used RTV in between both sides anyway because I like the filler material.

I got mine from Nissan, right here...

Make sure to mention you are a NPORA member!

WWW.FACTORYNISSANPARTS.COM

phone 1-866-742-0297

Rob Lacy

Parts Department

1-866-742-0297

1-214-491-6565

Great guy, great prices. Enough said...

B

well started to replace my thermostat today ( late today as I didn't get up until after 1:30 !!), got the old one out, the inside of the water outlet was pretty crappy looking, cleaned it all out, cleaned the mating surfaces real good and put the new one in. Going to wait until tomorrow before I add any water and flush the system. Tried to remove the pass. side drain on the engine block but I couldn't get it to budge at all so I left it.

The thermostat that I took out was probably the original one, it says Nissan on it. It also says 76.5 Celsius on it which I looked up is 169.7 Fahrenheit, I checked the thermostat to see if it opened, and it did open but the temp on the thermometer I was using was way over 180, closer to 190-192 before it started opening at all!! I don't know how accurate the thermometer is, it's the kind you would stick in your vents to check air temp.

Anyway will see what happens tomorrow, going to fill the system with water, let it get hot than drain it and repeat a few times before adding antifreeze the final time.

We pulled the A/C idler, fan shroud, and fan clutch on both the 88 and the 94 when we did them last month. The 94 took us a couple of hours start to finish, the 88 took longer about 6 hours but we replaced the rad and all the coolant hoses and of course we had to make a couple of parts runs.

Edited by vagabond

In the 89 I pull nothing. I have and e-fan and my 1/4 drive tools do the rest of the tight space work just fine.

On my 94 I tried it that way and was not so easy working arround the fan...

Edited by MY1PATH

Ran into a new problem today when filling the radiator, water started leaking out of the short rubber hose that connects the lower metal pipe to the thermostat outlet, tried tightening the clamp but didn't help, removed the metal pipe and discovered a few pin holes, one is outside where the rubber hose would sit. Was going to go to the junkyard to get another one but the junkyards closed in less than an hour so I wouldn't have made it. None of the auto parts stores, even Rockauto sells the metal pipe, Online dealer wants $60. I put some liquid metal in the holes and is letting it dry now but will have to hit up the junkyard tomorrow to try to get a better pipe than what I have now. I'm pissed, try to do one thing and something else goes wrong!!!

went to junkyard today, (lot's of pathfinders), found the pipe I needed and got it for $1, got home and installed it, filled radiator with water and bled system, I ran it with out the fan just to leave access to the hoses just in case, temp gauge went up to half!!, thermostat opened right when it was supposed to, could see water flowing by the opening for the radiator cap. Turned on the heat and added more water, checked the heat at the vent with thermometer and it was putting out 170 degrees!! Hot as hell finally !! , drained radiator and refilled, bled system again until air at vent was hot again, reinstalled fan and shroud and took it for a ride. With fan back in and driving 50 MPH temp gauge was between 1/4 & 1/2, and heat at vent was 150 degrees. Runs good. Need to drain some of the water out and put some antifreeze in. Heat should be hotter with antifreeze right?

Best part was no leaks at water outlet, or any where else !!, now to replace those door hinge bushings....