Sway Bar Tie Up

01silvapathy

Last time I disconnected my front sway bar the bar swung down cause its so heavy and as a result whenever I drove around the bar would rub on my cv's. Not that it will break anything doing that its just a big noise and id rather have it safely up out of the way. So what im wondering is where do you but the bar once its disconnected? I was thinking of possibly welding some wing nuts onto the sheet metal and then coming up with some kinda clip system to secure it. Need to go take a looksee and see what I can come up with.

Well I have heard from a few people that the front does have flex without the sway bars. I know for a fact Boston runs without one as did stryker. And Tyler, you will understand once you get a sfd...the suspension seems alot more plush per say

Well I have heard from a few people that the front does have flex without the sway bars. I know for a fact Boston runs without one as did stryker. And Tyler, you will understand once you get a sfd...the suspension seems alot more plush per say

More plush with the SFD? :scratchhead:

How's modifying the subframe going to change the 'feel' of the suspension?

I dont know how it worked out like that, all I know is that my struts no longer top out (well actually once but I was baja'ing a speed bump at 25mph :handlebars: ) Body roll was also increased...maybe it has something to do with the vehicle weight being higher up? I cant really tell you why all I know is that its awesome.

No sway bars makes it mo bettah

Edited by 01silvapathy

If possible, I would try and either buy a quick connect/disconnect kit, or get one fabbed. Would save you a lot of time and effort. But if not, then just do what nunya said and use zip ties. I have a huge pack in the truck at all times and they always come in useful for things like this. Plus they are cheap at like 1-5 cents each, so it isn't going to break the bank ;)

Then there is always duct-tape. But that might be too getto for your rig :lol:

I dont know how it worked out like that, all I know is that my struts no longer top out (well actually once but I was baja'ing a speed bump at 25mph :handlebars: ) Body roll was also increased...maybe it has something to do with the vehicle weight being higher up? I cant really tell you why all I know is that its awesome.

No sway bars makes it mo bettah

Mo bettah... :lol:

With the SFD installed, your COG is definitely higher, which means decreased stability when turning. But good to know your struts no longer top out... even with the AC coils?

I wonder, with the AC coils installed, what it be like to go sway bar-less up front.

That was for the rear sway bar if I was not mistaken. I have had my rear sway bar off for 2 years now LoL

+1. If you have aftermarket coils, the rear sway bar becomes pretty redundant.

MOTHER OF GOD. I drove around town today with no sway bars, as opposed to just up and down the street as I did before. AND HOLY CRAP the pathy has some hardcore body roll! Its a bit sketch but I got used to it in a matter of minutes, just need to slow down around those turns and stuff. The bright side is that over speed bumps and such you dont even feel them anymore even at 10-15mph its like flat ground.

The whole point of sway bars is to provide a stiffer spring effect in roll and little-to-no effect when both sides are in bump. They give a better balance of ride and anti-roll than just springs would have.

Road vehicles are fitted with this stuff for a reason. You need to either tune your truck for off-road ability or street manners and stick with it. Your recent suspension threads are starting to make me a bit nervous.

Wait what do you mean "your recent suspension threads are stating to make me a bit nervous" I know exactly what a sway bar or anti roll bar as you refer to it, is for. I knew how the truck would react when I took it off and was prepared for it. Who says you cant have a good muli-purpose rig for both on and off road...besides you.

Edited by 01silvapathy

I think what he means is the sway bar is there for a reason. It's difficult to have both on-road stability and off-road flexibility with IFS set-ups, and this is very much the case with the R50.

With the front swaybar connected, I had no complaints off the pavement. Actually, I was happy with how it 'performed' on the trails.

If only the front sway bar could be disconnected as easily as the rear... :rolleyes:

It took me about 10 minutes to get the sway bar disconnected. What im going to try and do is take the sway bar and drill a hole through it in which a codder pin can go. Easy to remove quickly and still there for street use.

I havent run a rear sway bar since I got my pathy, the rear links were shot so I cut them off and unbolted the bar; been running good ever since. As for the front, I actually put some reinforced Moog regreasable links. Most of my flex is from the rear, the front is very stiff but it performs very well I just have to pick good lines while wheeling so I dont mess anything up.

59888_155952261099175_100000532063841_388262_2957993_n.jpg

59888_155952264432508_100000532063841_388263_2076132_n.jpg

The front does indeed flex. I was playing around today with them discod and I was pretty impressed with how it handled. I will try and go out and take some pics and possibly video tomorrow so yall can see what im talking about. You may want to try it some time mudd...if you dont like it you can always just bolt it back up :itsallgood: