motor rebuild time..want more power.need help

Thanks for looking. my stock vg-30 is old and tired she has 356,793 on her clock now..I want to rebuild the motor. i have built Honda motors in the past as my past and know parts are interchangeable. I was thinking of this motor set-up

im going for more then stock power number with easy parts to get from the junks and i dont have to redo the motor mounts.thanks for the help..

stock VG-30 block .004 over,stock maxima dome pistons.

Maxima ECU, heads with stock cams,intake manifold and mass air meter.

300zx crank(automatic).I hope it mounts to stock pathy tranny?

From what I read, best gains without reworking the block come from aftermarket cams. The second best upgrade seems to be putting in a VG33.

Check out the "Project Pathfinder" magazine articles here: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/categoryview/categoryid/80/project-nissan-pathfinder.aspx

They built up their tow rig pathfinder for power and fuel economy. They initially did cams, headers, intake, and I think ECU, but in the end then swapped in a vg33, ported the heads, bored over and put in cylinders from an infinity. But give it a read anyway, the last four or five articles are about getting more power.

Agreed. My understanding is that you can sneak in a VG33 with all the VG30 parts on it, have more power and still pass smog since it won't look any different. Add Ca legal intake and headers and you should be well over 180hp...

B

The project pathfinder was a VG34 (3.3 with q45 pistons) and W-series 300zx heads. Good luck finding W-series heads.

You best bet in keeping it simple is a vg33block and heads with JWT S1 cams. Get some headders and You should make about over 200 ponies at the crank and Better MPG than before.

I don't know for sure yet if it will fit but I got a 3.3 out of a mercury villager van. I have found info both ways on the web that the quest villager motors won't fit and that all the VG blocks mounting bosses are the same. If it don't fit, It only cost me $160 anyway. I will post a thread about it as soon as I get the motor out of my parts truck to compare.

James

I'd bet the reason they're saying it won't fit is because the Villager/Quest engines are transverse mounted which requires very different intake and exhaust manifolds. Once you swap yours on to it and spin it around it should be ok. The 3.0 engine in mine was from a FWD and had the funky manifolds.

Thats good to know, what kind of vehicle did yours come out of?

I was told that the motor mount bosses were different on the front wheel drive blocks. This site; http://grannys.tripod.com/2N6VG30.html and several others say "All of the VG blocks share all of the same engine/transmission and accessory mounting bosses/locations, making mixing and matching parts from FWD to RWD configuration very easy." They also claim you can bore out a VG30 to a VG33 and have the same wall thickness. So you could bore a 3.0 block and use 3.3 pistons.

So it should fit right in. Yes I'm only going to use the block, heads and injectors from the villager motor.

James

Edited by JamesRich

ya i read the same thing about boring out the 3L to 3.3 with out any problems. my next idea includes a stock block bored to 3.3L with a cam and g34 pistons.wonder if they have a long stroke crank shaft for the vg motor? more stroke with more duration with the cams should be felt in the seat of your pants.LOL

Edited by whosfinder

Why bore a 3.0 to 3.3L? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a 3.3 block?

x2 the 3.3 water passages are differant to acomodate the lager bore.

yes a 3.0 can be bored to 3.3 but your getting close to the walls.

There are stroker cranksafts for the VG they are made bu JUN and the kit runs $12,000 the last time I checked. Peaco down in florida quoted me $2,500 for a Billet stroker crank and new pistons with the wrist pin raised to prevent head collision. A local machine shop qoted me $2,000 to do an offset grind but it would still be more to get pistons made or find shorter rods.

peaco In florida sounds like your best bet if you want a stroker...

I wouldn't bore a 3.0 to a 3.3 when you can take a 3.3 and bore it out even more, and make a VG34.

And to add to what MY1PATH said. The W-series engines are from 4/87+. They have a much smoother cast to them and flow a little better than the A/B series from 3/87 down. The VG33 heads flow the best of all, and have a taller deck for more capacity.

I would up the displacement if you want to make more power for cheap. You can spend thousands of dollars trying to crack the 200WHP mark with an NA VG30. A VG33 already has a 25-30HP advantage over a VG30.

Edited by Kingman

I don't know for sure guys but stated on the site I posted above the cylinder wall OD (inside the water passages) is the same diameter, so once the 3.0 block is bored to the 3.3 diameter pistons the thickness of the cylinder wall would be the same as the 3.3 block. So what they are claiming is the 3.0 block could be bored to a 3.4 also.

Boring out a VG30 block to a VG33 bore size results in the same wall thickness as a VG33.

Just what I read, I agree it would be easier to just source a 3.3 block (I did) but for someone not around a pick a part it could be a cheaper option. If the info on that site is true.

James

• 3 weeks later...

And you could keep your stock ECU If you just get a VG33 and swap over your accesorries. The only thing to watch for would be the crank shaft stub. Some are different lengths, although I think thats just for the 300ZX versions. Just a heads up. If that is the case, you would just have to use the VG33 accesories.

Jose

i just rebuilt my pathfinders vg30e, i bored it .020 over with flat top pistons, new heads, new bearings, new oil pump, euro cams, cold air intake, pacesetter headers, no cat, thrush turbo muffler, and with 31" tires that truck will get up and go :D it has quite a bit of low end torque. i would recommend this set up.

i just rebuilt my pathfinders vg30e, i bored it .020 over with flat top pistons, new heads, new bearings, new oil pump, euro cams, cold air intake, pacesetter headers, no cat, thrush turbo muffler, and with 31" tires that truck will get up and go :D it has quite a bit of low end torque. i would recommend this set up.

VG33 stock will put down more power than a bored over VG30. VG33 is a better baseline for ANY VG motor build.