Power Outlet/wiring

OldSlowReliable

Just wondering if anyone has wired a few extra cigarette lighter outlets into their wd21, as well as where/how, I.E. on the dash using a 10 amp relay or whatever...

Additionally, could I just splice off from the power of the factory outlet, then ground it through two more outlets? I'd think this would be bad for the small gauge wiring, and any sort of fuse along with it....

One last inquiry..

Has anybody put a series of toggle switches in their wd21? I'm going to have some hellas on the front eventually, a pair of lights out back, along with a switch for the power outlets, interior footwell lights, and lord knows what else... I was thinking either where there are usually alarm switches and such on the center console, or right below my radio on the dash...

Just get one of those multi-power outlet adaptor things that plugs right into the lighter...

1) Wouldn't that draw an awful lot of power from the factory wiring?

2) The way that is placed, I can't stand the wire mess I have right now...much less with three things plugged in...

3) I just got my wisdom teeth out, and am looking for a project, as I can only drive if I don't take my painkillers, which isn't alot of fun ;)

1) Wouldn't that draw an awful lot of power from the factory wiring?

I don't know how many amps the cig lighter circuit pops the fuse at but I have my cb, cig lighter with gps, cell phone and power inverter all running off of it and it hasn't blown the fuse and the wiring doesn't seem to get hot.

I don't know how many amps the cig lighter circuit pops the fuse at but I have my cb, cig lighter with gps, cell phone and power inverter all running off of it and it hasn't blown the fuse and the wiring doesn't seem to get hot.

x2, generally thigns that run off the lighter ain't huge draws. I think the actual lighter is gonna pop a fuse before a GPS and a cell phone charger does... Nice thing is you can get ones with USB ports in em as well anymore if thats important to you.

That's a sweet idea for switches! For power output, I tapped into the radio circuit right a the fuse by cutting a crimp on spade connector or something small enough to plug into the fuse panel slot. Just use a test light to see which side of the fuse is protected and jam her and the fuse in at the same time. Actually, this was the pigtail for my cb. I grounded it under the dash near the passenger's feet. Found a power outlet with 2 ports and 2 usb and a led battery indicator and cut off the lighter plug and spliced it directlyto the cb pigtail near the console. When I put the interior together it will come out from under the console and have a couple feet of cord to reach any seat or the cargo area. Most things I use it for draw less than an amp each so no worry about the wiring the pigtail has a built in 5 amp fuse anyway. I can post a few pics when I go for break

Thanks, that's one of the benefits of using relays (which you should always do anyway), the switches can be real small as all they have is a few milliamps of current flowing thru them to turn a relay on.

If your going to tap off a fuse at the fuse box, you may want to check to see if there are any unused spots in the fuse box, not all vehicles have the same options so there more tan likely is a un-used fuse location.

Edited by ahardb0dy

My mother came home today with a 4 outlet hub that 3m's to the dash, and can plug in everything.....I guess it was on sale for 8 bucks...

problem solved I guess lol

She also came home with a remote unlock for me to figure out how to install.... :thumbsdown:yay?

I'll try to find a picture but in my old 87 hardbody I used to have a switch panel that fit perfectly in the opening where the ash tray goes, (after removing the ashtray of course), it fit so good I didn't even have to screw it in. I think it had 4 switches with little lights, the wiring was cool because it had 2 plugs on the back side so you could remove the switch assembly with out un wiring anything. I'll try to post a pic if I can find one.

this is the only pic I could find, this one is in my friends 86 Toy, under the radio, kind of hard to see, of course If I can't find the product now doesn't do you any good, pic below anyway:

16jg9ox.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

source yourself a under-dash pocket out of a 93 (IIRC it was a 1 year only thing) and put a switch panel in instead of the pocket guts. Will be a factory piece that flows seamlessly with the square dash :aok: Give it a more un-cluttered look compared to having toggles hanging all over the place and a "classic look" compared to B's setup as it will be the same basic thing (if done right) only on a square (better) dash! I got one in mine I still need to paint to match that I'm gonna move my CB into to make stuff look a litte less cluttered.

source yourself a under-dash pocket out of a 93 (IIRC it was a 1 year only thing) and put a switch panel in instead of the pocket guts. Will be a factory piece that flows seamlessly with the square dash :aok: Give it a more un-cluttered look compared to having toggles hanging all over the place and a "classic look" compared to B's setup as it will be the same basic thing (if done right) only on a square (better) dash! I got one in mine I still need to paint to match that I'm gonna move my CB into to make stuff look a litte less cluttered.

hmm, never seen one of those...I'll definitely check it out :)

That is a very white interior...

3m to the dash is usally the usage of there trim spray or that gluey double sided tape.

I prefer 3m velcro patches, so its easily removable...heck, thats how I attached my remote unlock/alarm box under the dash! lol

My 88 doesn't have power mirrors, so I used the switch opening for the control and wired a switch bank up, each one ran through a fuse block I mounted on the inner fender by the battery.

8808008.jpg

As for 12V outlets, I used one of the fuse block spaces and ran a 12g wire back to the rear, it is not switched, so I can use it without a key in the ignition:

8808007.jpg

On my 93, I have a reverse light setup I got from a run as a gift Cool kit, it was made for an Xterra, but all I had to do was tap into the Reverse light wiring to make it work. I patched off the power wire for it running to the rear (unswitched) and ran a socket in the rear (below the end of the flashlight):

DSC00146.jpg

On the 88 I have since ran a 4 outlet set off the original lighter wiring, that has it's own switch, and have yet to overload the wiring or fuse, even with 3 of the 4 outlets being used (CB, GPS, cell phone charger). No pics of it, but it is mounted to the side of the auto shifter area of the center console.

Is it this to which you refer?

Last time I had it off...I coulda sworn there was some sort of black box or something behind there....hmmmm

DSC01811.jpg

Edited by OldSlowReliable

hmm, never seen one of those...I'll definitely check it out :)

I found one of these in the same color as my interior. I plan to use it just like B did but I'll probably paint the panel black. One day I'll get time to install it. I have at least two years worth of projects stacked up for this truck!

James

Is it this to which you refer?

Last time I had it off...I coulda sworn there was some sort of black box or something behind there....hmmmm

DSC01811.jpg

That would be what I was referring to, seems as though you already got it occupied though (basicly my plan with mine there) only thing behind mine is the floor vent duct IIRC... I'll have to actually look later (as I don't have the pocket installed so I can look right in)

That would be what I was referring to, seems as though you already got it occupied though (basicly my plan with mine there) only thing behind mine is the floor vent duct IIRC... I'll have to actually look later (as I don't have the pocket installed so I can look right in)

I don't have a pocket, but I have a flat face surrounding where that would be