supercharging a Z24

flyinwall

i want to be different and with this supercharger that i am planning to use you can actually turn it off as it has a clutch like an air con compressor (so i only use it when i really need to) and the cost of registration for a v6 is more than for a 4 cyl over here

Yeah, with superchargers, centrifugal, roots and all other belt driven superchargers, it really takes HP to make HP. Sometimes its not worth it. If you have a stock engine with 250+ hp, and you want to add a S/C, consider the weight of the Sc, and the power/weight that you are gonna achieve. If you're burning more ponies to make some, then it's really not beneficial to you.

Yeah, with superchargers, centrifugal, roots and all other belt driven superchargers, it really takes HP to make HP. Sometimes its not worth it. If you have a stock engine with 250+ hp, and you want to add a S/C, consider the weight of the Sc, and the power/weight that you are gonna achieve. If you're burning more ponies to make some, then it's really not beneficial to you.

Even with a low hp engine it's beneficial, it's just not a very efficient way to make power. a turbo is the preferred method. a supercharger has instant response in terms of power so it's basically like putting a bigger displacement engine in the car, a turbo has lag and takes a bit to work up to its optimum boost.

Even with a low hp engine it's beneficial, it's just not a very efficient way to make power. a turbo is the preferred method. a supercharger has instant response in terms of power so it's basically like putting a bigger displacement engine in the car, a turbo has lag and takes a bit to work up to its optimum boost.

a turbo has lag is a generic statement

the lag will depend on the size of the turbo

a small turbo has almost instant response just like a supercharger while being more efficient

• 3 months later...

know its an old thread, but thought i might add somthing on this.

The SC14 supercharger on a Z24 was also an idea i had before i decided to drop in a FJ20ET. a Z18E intake manifold bolts straight up to the Z24, allowing injection. Mounting of the SC14 isnt an issue if you can fabricate a bracket. I was going to remove my AC to fit it.

the issues with this setup is quite simple though.

the Z24 is a relatively high compression engine, and i would want to either fit a thicker headgasket, or wing it and hope she doesnt pop with the extra 8psi going through her. i was going to run a 12psi pulley with it to give her some real push.

ECU choice is also an issue. the standard Z18E ecu would be more than capable of running an injected Z24, but i would be concerned about the amount of fuel entering. afterall, the ecu is setup for a 1.8L engine, not a 2.4L engine. then add boost, the chances are you will lean out and pop the motor. Going an aftermarket option is a much smarter idea. Even a Microleb ecu would be enough, and allow an auxillary output to control the supercharger at a set point in the rev range. this allows accurate fuelling on boost.

Another option is to add another injector, like one from a Toyota that they use for cold starts, and add a Hobbs switch. the Hobbs switch senses pressure, and at the set positive pressure (you buy them with preset pressures. ie. 2psi switch, 4psi switch, etc) it can control the extra injector. so when the supercharger creates 2psi or over, the hobbs switch will turn on the 5th injector and give the motor extra fuel. This is nowhere near accurate as an aftermarket ecu.

At the end of all this thought i went through, i decided to just drop the FJ in my one. nice and easy. and try to find a Z18 intake manifold. its impossible..

James.

Edited by 12A