Brake Line Leak

01silvapathy

So last night the pathy was parked on the driveway for the first time in a week. I was outside this morning and noticed a wet spot under the rear axle. So I crawled underneath to see whats up. It looks like the rear brake line was leaking and had just started that night. I say it started last night cause I had been driving the truck throught the last week and there are no spots in the garage where I park. I went for a quick drive and the pedal felt fine...drove for about 5-10min stopped looked back up and saw it was leaking again. So I tightened up the hardlines into the t block dried everything off again and took it for a another 10min drive....it was still leaking...so I dried it off AGAIN and went and pumped the brake...sure enough there was the leak. Appears to be coming from UNDER the Tblock. No leaking from where the hardlines go into the block or anything. Im wondering if the actual tblock itself is cracked? I will try and take some pics and video tomorrow as it is now dark outside...but im pretty pissed about it...my 50 dollar custom extended rear line for the truck. Took nearly a month to get and ill be pissed if they dont help me out with the situation. So any other ideas on how to try and alleviate the situation?

if they don't help, this is what I went with recently and i'm very happy with the quality. It comes with a new rear block and the fit is just perfect.. These are the 4 inch extend line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Goodridge-Brake-Line-1996-2004-Nissan-PATHFINDER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439b94682aQQitemZ290373003306QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1602wt_971

if they don't help, this is what I went with recently and i'm very happy with the quality. It comes with a new rear block and the fit is just perfect.. These are the 4 inch extend line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Goodridge-Brake-Line-1996-2004-Nissan-PATHFINDER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439b94682aQQitemZ290373003306QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1602wt_971

I hope these are long enough to support an SFD.

I highly doubt the block is cracked. Either some crud in the connection or the crimped fitting is leaking out the bottom (which in that case I would throw the line out and get your money back).

If you need one let me know. I have two sitting ready to go but I will only be around til the 22nd. Could throw it into a padded envelope and ship it fairly quickly.

I wish man, Im still broke which is why im hoping that the company will do the right thing and send me a replacement free of charge. If not ill have to just keep topping off the fluid everynow and then and deal with the leak. Atleast til I have the money to order a new one, this time probably from you since its from a different company. The brake fluid is eating through the paint on the rear diff too so I guess I will have to paint that after its fixed :thumbsdown:

I highly doubt that block would leak

Little Jb QUIK (not regular weld there fast seting stuff) mite cure it/block it etc until you have time to get it fixed

So its still leaking, and my Parents just flipped out on me, they basically want me to park the truck til it gets fixed. They were all like we dont want you to wreck cause the line could blow out and the insurance is in our name...we could get sued if they find out your brake line was leaking...blah blah blah. I told them its a Braided stainless steel line and that the chances of it "blowing out" are VERY SLIM...and they dont realize it took a month to get, a MONTH. And if it does blow out than ill sue the company that made it, under no circumstances should a braided line burst with the stock equipment....not near enough pressure to cause it. I still have not figured out where its leaking from but plan on figuring it out here soon. I feel perfectly comfortable driving it around like it is. I filled up the resivor so I can track how much its leaking and such so imma keep driving the bitch.

Not to change the subject but I have a question. Ever since upgrading to 32" tires braking has decreased as would be expected. I changed the rear drums and shoes recently which helped to improve braking, but I still feel that it is lacking (even replaced all of the brake fluid). If I were to upgrade to the brake lines mentioned above am I going to see a significant improvement?

I do understand that braking performance is going to suffer with larger tires, I am just trying to gain as much braking power back as possible.

Thanks,

I actually had the same problem.... It was the junction box on the rear axle where it was leaking.... Turns out it is made from aluminum and I tightened the hard lines to much that they leaked slowely. I just put some lock tight on the fitting when I put it back and it solved the problem....

Not to change the subject but I have a question. Ever since upgrading to 32" tires braking has decreased as would be expected. I changed the rear drums and shoes recently which helped to improve braking, but I still feel that it is lacking (even replaced all of the brake fluid). If I were to upgrade to the brake lines mentioned above am I going to see a significant improvement?

I do understand that braking performance is going to suffer with larger tires, I am just trying to gain as much braking power back as possible.

Thanks,

I dont know that the ss braided line helped at all, but what did make a change was taking off my LSV spring. When you lift the truck the sensor thinks that its less load on the vehicle and reduces power to the rear brakes. When you take it off, it fools it into thinking the rear is loaded down and increases braking power to the rear drums. Might be worth a try, you can always bolt it back up if you dont like it. But I def noticed a difference in braking with it disconnected.

• Like 1

I dont know that the ss braided line helped at all, but what did make a change was taking off my LSV spring. When you lift the truck the sensor thinks that its less load on the vehicle and reduces power to the rear brakes. When you take it off, it fools it into thinking the rear is loaded down and increases braking power to the rear drums. Might be worth a try, you can always bolt it back up if you dont like it. But I def noticed a difference in braking with it disconnected.

LSV Spring? What does it stand for and were is it found? I will give it a try.

LSV Spring? What does it stand for and were is it found? I will give it a try.

Load Sensing Valve

Get at the back of your truck, drop on your knees and look straight at the rear diff... just on top of it, you'll see a huge spring.... this is it !

S.

LSV= Load Sensing Valve. Its attached to you axle on a bracket. I just undid the hex screw on the axle side of the mount and zip tied the spring up. That way if im ever towing again I can hook it up if I feel its necessary. Here is a pic, you can see the bracket pointing up on the axle, and the spring tied up on the left.

100_2079.jpg