Welded R200 front diff

maikan

I got a 1999 Pathfinder with free running Warn hubs.

I would like to lock the front diff Lincoln locker style.

My truck is a winter warrior. I don't plan using it next summer. So the truck will see

a great load of snow and a tiny bit of tarmac.

I have a few questions on R200 diffs

- Is it doable to weld a R200, is it strong enough.

- Is there anyone who have done it.

I am not a mechanic at all, and I don't intent to do this myself, but if I do it

I want to make sure it is made the best way possible.

So all info are welcome please

Edited by maikan

Permanent locked condition. I believe most people report that the steering becomes heavy and difficult when locked, generally people leave the front alone or install a selectable locker, usually air due to this reason.

B

The R200 is strong enough to be welded but your CV's may not be. The constant differtial load(from not being allowed to differentiate) will acelerate their wear and you will feel it on sharp turns.

Snow should slip enough that it can be done but many other offroad conditions will be rough on your CV's.

X2 on using a locker or even a front LSD.

Yeah using a locker would be great but it is costly.

I can weld my front diff for a low cost.

And if I plan to use mainly on the snow it can minimize the stress

on cv.

Is it the same procedure for all diff. For the weld.

A welded diff on the front will make the truck nearly impossible to steer (snow or tarmac) and you'll regularly break axles or the diff. Start by getting good tires well suited for snow(IMHO BFG AT KO's rock in snow) and then get a rear LSD or selectable locker first. After that, a front LSD or selectable locker for the front. For moderate speed snow use, I prefer LSDs front and rear best as they interfere with handling the least. In deep snow, you're likely not going so fast, so the handling issues with lockers are not so pronounced.

so X4 on the front LSD or front selectable locker.

I got LSD in the rear diff and in snow it is rubbish, i definetly don't want one in the front.

As sonn that I slip a little I got one wheel spinning freely.

I already have 4 Gooyear 31' A/T.

So I think I understand why most of welded diff are straight axle, they don't blow CV.

So thank you guys, I will save some money and look for lockers. :(

Edited by maikan

I got LSD in the rear diff and in snow it is rubbish, i definitely don't want one in the front.

As soon that I slip a little I got one wheel spinning freely.

You've got the right tires for coping with snow, however, it sounds like your rear LSD may be worn out or at the last fluid change, LSD friction modifer wasn't added. With mine, I get some wheel spin, but nothing like what you describe. A lot of LSDs get smoked because of the donut spare tires. Mismatched sizing of tires can completely wear out a LSD out in less than 20 miles of driving. A lot of people don't know that if they get a flat on the rear axle, to swap a front tire to the rear, and run the donut spare on the front. Thankfully, Nissan uses a clutch-style LSD which can be rebuilt. You might consider checking that out first before you go through the expense and hassle of installing a locker up front. Good luck and keep us updated as to what you do and how it works.

I totally wanted to do this also. I do not off road but love to beat it up in the snow and any other mud situation I can come across.

Something to keep in mind....you can lock one wheel if you want with manual hubs!!!

This would be the same as having the open diff essentially!

IMO, a locked diff, front or rear, would not give you desirable effects in the snow.

Locked diff's, lincoln locked, or other method are meant for traction where one tire has little traction, and the other wheel has lots of traction.

unless one tire is on ice, and the other is on tarmac, a locked diff will not help you in snow conditions.

I got LSD in the rear diff and in snow it is rubbish, i definetly don't want one in the front.

As sonn that I slip a little I got one wheel spinning freely.

you also have an inferior soccer mom LSD. Rebuild yours to match the wd21 arrangement or better.

Neat trick; when you pick up a tire and it spins pull the e-brake a little or ride the foot brake. This equalizes the load and sends torque to the down tire. once you get momentum release the brakes.

i heard having locked diffs in the snow is not a good thing its makes u slide around but idk cause i never get snow but locked rears suck cause my friend cant even turn with out barking in his yota

I taught airing down tire pressure to get more traction and having both wheel to turn at the same time with no slipping could help me not dig in the snow.

Cause 20-40 centimeter is really a no traction situation, and if you dig in too much and became high center you're done

But I'll see what I can do for the rear LSD, at least changing the fluid or maybe rebuilding to add strenght.

P.S. I put regular gear oil for LSD in my diff, do I have to add other stuff

BFG ATs, while they have the snowflake symbol on them, aren't very good snow tires to begin with. In the long run a good set of snow tires will give you better performance in snow than any locker.

I don't have a welded diff, but I've heard from many people that welded in the snow is not a good idea unless it is very deep snow. And regardless of whether you're in the snow or any other situation, a locked front will result in very poor steering.

I'd say get some better tires and don't put your foot down so hard on the skinny pedal. If you're still having trouble and you're not in a foot or more of snow you're doing something wrong. I'm basing this on driving my pathfinder stock in 20-30 cm of snow with only Toyo snow tires and not really having any troubles. With more snow I could see how you'd begin to have troubles however.

Edited by Zibi

P.S. I put regular gear oil for LSD in my diff, do I have to add other stuff

do you have some chattering from the rear end?? and you also want to add friction modifier lsd additive

do you have some chattering from the rear end?? and you also want to add friction modifier lsd additive

he said he put LSD oil in there. If he uses additive they will slip too much.

Additive is ONLY for non-lsd oils.

I use valvoline 80w-90 and it says meets the requirements for LSD but i still added equa torque lsd additive, will it hrt my lsd? i been driving for awhile and it still spins both but anyways sorry if this topic is off track now

I use valvoline 80w-90 and it says meets the requirements for LSD but i still added equa torque lsd additive, will it hrt my lsd? i been driving for awhile and it still spins both but anyways sorry if this topic is off track now

No it will not hurt your lsd. Your LSD uses Friction to do its job. Too much friction and the parts wear out, too little friction and it acts like an open diff.

The addive reduces friction.