Frame Rust Repair Kit !

RJSquirrel

Okay,

I just got my Rotting Pathy @ my place in the garage today. Time to strip what I want & let others know it is ready for parts selling. Think I already have a guy buying the whole interior(gray) so he can get rid of his red ugly interior. Will post in the "For Sale" forum once I get a few things done.

Happy Holidays to Everyone! :friday::beer:

• 1 month later...

Did anyone try the Autorust plates that this thread was originally about?

I have purchased a set, but I have yet to apply them to the pathfinder. They are heavy gauge steel, and they seem like they should fit pretty well, at least as much as I mocked up a test-fitting with them.

• 2 weeks later...

See, but even with their plate, you'd still have to modify it (does it look THIN to anyone else?)

Theres a body mount right smack dab in the middle of that back portion....you'd have to mod ONE of them

[/quo They wont do much for offroad trucks at all! We had 2 pathfinders for a short time. nissan baja kit facebook http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.107163892688273.12162.100001839883572&l=596607c53f

Edited by 2WDTRAILRIDE

• 2 months later...

Perfecto!!! Here would be my only problem.... Who in the world could I trust to install this kit for me, and how much would I expect to pay for this installation?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually installed these things yet? If so any details?

The rear frame on my 91 has all but disolved and I need to figure something out. I like what I have been reading, but wonder if this case is too far along.

I will take some pics tomorrow, the amount of decay is remarkable.

Edited by OlBlue

• 2 weeks later...

yea I have same frame rust issues and welding was my thing for many years I would not use anything less than 1/8 inch steel plate for auto frame repair. make it strong not wrong.jack azzo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Weld it up with 1/8 ". Who cares what finished product looks like as long as it works. Its not like its a highly visable area. I swear responed too this years ago but my posts seem too be gone.

-Sal

• 3 months later...

Guess I'll revisit this thread. My pathy won't pass inspection due to frame rot and I have welded it each of the past 2 years (different sections). The shop doesn't think it's repairable but I'm an engineer and a cheapskate so, unless there is no steel at all, I'm heading to the local weld shop to pickup some 1/8 plate. The repairs I have done in the past involve flat outer cut to shape, flat lower bent to conform and 2x2 angle pieces to attach them. Drill some holes for additional access to any steel that remains in the frame so I can weld in the middle of the plate and not just along the edges. I'll definately take pics but we have a tornado watch until 10 tonight and severe thunderstorms forecast for the next 10 days. Not a good time to be laying in the driveway with a welder.

This is what I did to my hardbody. the frame was so weak that the top of the box was hitting the back of the cab. I put jackstands a foot forward of the back of the cab to relieve some stress and welded fitted plate on both sides and then formed a strip along the bottom of the frame. Nice and strong now!

ecpd.jpgzha3.jpgenax.jpg

Question about the hardbody, did you cut that yourself or buy a kit (if you answered this earlier I haven't read threw the thread so I apologize) with the ammount of detail it looks like it was a kit, could you elaborate if you did this yourself?

I just bought a hardbody looking to do an sas/4bt swap and I need to strengthen the frame, just taking some notes that's all :)

Good job by the way!

Edited by cvdloc

• 3 weeks later...

Oh really, that would make things a lot easier, if you don't mind me asking about the cost? Unless you had a friend who does this lol, I bet it wouldn't be too bad with a torch and a grinder but that would take time..

it was $100 worth of steel and $125 for the cutting. most of the cost was converting my templates into a cad file the computer uses. if i would have known i would have drawn them up in autocad or something. It was well worth it though, my frame was so weak that the box was touching the cab, now it is probably stronger than factory.

Oh that is cheaper than I thought, that it defiantly worth it. Luckily on my pickup the box and cab are perfectly parallel, but I'm sure being a 87 I'm sure there are week points. Thanks for the info!

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On 11/13/2022 at 5:06 PM, Frenchy said:

Unfortunate to hear they quit making them. I was starting to get a little excited.does my 93 need them? Dont believe so but it wouldnt hurt since im planning a nice OffRoad build!!

Being in Colorado you might but it was a real problem up here in Canada / the Rust Belt. IT's pretty dry over that way that far inside the country so I would think that you should be alright. Either way you can always have someone weld up a set of plates to the outside after some rust removal ( as needed) whereas we can't do that here in Quebec ( welcome to the "california regulations" of the north). IF you feel that you _must know_ grab a flatblade screwdriver and start stabbing away at the frame under the truck.... if the blade penetrates then you need them... if it bounces off, your good to go.

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2022 at 6:45 PM, SpecialWarr said:

Being in Colorado you might but it was a real problem up here in Canada / the Rust Belt. IT's pretty dry over that way that far inside the country so I would think that you should be alright. Either way you can always have someone weld up a set of plates to the outside after some rust removal ( as needed) whereas we can't do that here in Quebec ( welcome to the "california regulations" of the north). IF you feel that you _must know_ grab a flatblade screwdriver and start stabbing away at the frame under the truck.... if the blade penetrates then you need them... if it bounces off, your good to go.

How would anyone ever know if you welded it, doesn't QC only inspect if it's coming in from out of province? Ontario you only need an inspection when it's out of province or changes ownership.

• 3 weeks later...

I overheard a worker that inspections were going to be instituted in the next few years and that anything "non-compliant" is going to be pulled off the roads.... overheard at the SAAQ Ste-Agathe last year when I was waiting to register the Xterra!

On 2/16/2023 at 12:50 PM, SpecialWarr said:

I overheard a worker that inspections were going to be instituted in the next few years and that anything "non-compliant" is going to be pulled off the roads.... overheard at the SAAQ Ste-Agathe last year when I was waiting to register the Xterra!

I've overheard the same thing in Ontario for a few years but nothing has come around yet.

It's funny because the most derelict cars/trucks I've ever seen have all come from the QC side lol.