Frame Rust Repair Kit !

RJSquirrel

Attention all you rust-belt dwellers! I just located a vendor that makes pre-formed frame repair kits for the dreaded frame rust problems our Pathfinders suffer from. No more improvised, hacked-up frame welding jobs. Save your self the fabrication hassles if your going to do it yourself, or save money on labor at the auto body shop since it is a pre-formed piece that goes from the rear bumper mount all the way to in front of the trailing arm mount.

The company is called :

http://www.autorust.com OR

http://www.safetcap.com

http://www.autorust.com/store/

They do have an online store but it currently does not have the pathfinder parts listed online. There is a downloadable PDF catalog that does show photos of the parts in question.

I called the supplier to verify that these are still being produced and they are. Yay!

The part #s are as follows: Prices are as of December 2010

ART-044L (Left side repair kit) ($160 USD)

ART-044R (Right side repair kit) ($160 USD)

ART-044S (Set of both sides) ($310 USD)

Contact them at:

Auto Rust Technicians

Safe-T-Cap Frame Repair

275 Niantic Ave.

Cranston, RI 02907

USA

Contact

401.944.4444 tel.

401.944.4203 fax

800.407.7024 toll-free

sales@autorust.com

www.safetcap.com

• Like 2

AWESOME! :bounce:

I'm thinking about looking into them also so I can get my 1st Pathy's frame all done up. I do have to say, this newer Pathy I got is nice. Was an Arizona Pathy. SOLID FRAME & NO RUST. :jig:

I'm going to have to agree with the above comment. I'm currently welding up the entire outer wall on mine and getting some 1/8 steel plate was really easy. While this may be a great kit, I don't think that it can beat the $10 bucks that the local welding shop charged me.

If you were to make a template out of some cardboard for the section that you need, a welding shop would be more than able to cut it for you at a very affordable price.

While I agree with the "too high for me" type coments on the price, on the same note... While you may have pennies invested in making your own patches, what was your time worth? Are these pieces this company makes mirrors or the actual frame with drainage and wash holes or just solid plates cut at the correct-ish shapes?

my two cents at least

I'm going to have to agree with the above comment. I'm currently welding up the entire outer wall on mine and getting some 1/8 steel plate was really easy. While this may be a great kit, I don't think that it can beat the $10 bucks that the local welding shop charged me.

If you were to make a template out of some cardboard for the section that you need, a welding shop would be more than able to cut it for you at a very affordable price.

I agree that they are expensive and I have access to a plasma cutter but what if your frame is so far gone (like my 93) that you would have to build your own frame? I would much rather spend 300 for something in the right dimensions and have the cross members in the right spots than attempt it myself. Knowing me the rear axle would sit side ways.

so are these plates for the entire sides of the frame? or just the trouble spots?

I cant find anything on their site, not even those part numbers come up at all....

nevermind. i posted to quickly. i found pics on the PDF, like you initially posted. i just need to read better!!

Edited by sammyb33

I agree that they are expensive and I have access to a plasma cutter but what if your frame is so far gone (like my 93) that you would have to build your own frame? I would much rather spend 300 for something in the right dimensions and have the cross members in the right spots than attempt it myself. Knowing me the rear axle would sit side ways.

Under those cases, I'd rebuild the entire rear frame rails for safety and durability...300 bucks is most of the price of a NICE and NEW welder...

I'd be willing to pay 160 per side for 2x4 tubing notched/bent to shape....but not a plate that just covers a side..

I am, however, interested in how FAR back it goes....and how it passes the body mounts, as maybe they would do a "half kit" and just sell the rear portion..

yeah it would be nice if they sold the whole rear half of the frame so u just have to cut the bad spot off and weld on the new part. that part they are selling only does one side i know if most pathfinders were like my 93 the top bottom and back also rotted out

Edited by edicer2

It is a reasonable price for the time/labor involved in developing the patterns, buying of metal to have in stock, then someone to make them, etc, etc.

Glad to see another company offering parts for our trucks.

See, but even with their plate, you'd still have to modify it (does it look THIN to anyone else?)

I think that is just due to the way the picture is laid out. They likely had to erase the background in the picture to put in that technical looking one, and that probably caused the edges of the metal in the picture to get screwed up. But I would check with them first on the thickness of the metal before ordering just to be sure.

Edited by Northernpathy

Whatever dude, the factory frame is even thinner than that anyways. It's way better than having this:

IMG_0915.jpg

I would rather one piece than the 10 stupid looking patches mine has. They are all nicely welded but still it looks like @!*%. I'm sorry but that thickness is more than thick enough for our frames and adding anything more than 1/8 is just adding more weight to an already underpowered and heavy vehicle.

• Like 1

Yeah but you have to remember they went and did the research and all the work to make it a weld on piece that will fix most mild-moderate cases of frame rot. Our frames are like 2mm thick from the factory which equals about 0.078 inches. So it is more than enough.

Even better is that it makes it easier to locate that upper cross member (the one that has a V shaped mount) that has a nasty habit of falling off when the rot gets real bad.

• 2 weeks later...