TBI to MPFI

sammyb33

I tried to message UNCC about this, but it seems he cannot receive any new messages....full inbox maybe!!

What I have are two hardbodies, a 95 plagued by frame rot (badly, I just patched a place with a 12 inch frame patch, and I knew it wasn't going to last because there just wasnt much there to weld to, and yep its already showing stress cracks)and an 87 with a perfect frame, but an engine that is unknown and has sat since at least 1999. Overall the 87 is in pretty good shape. But I think since my 95 runs so damn well I just want to swap frames!

So I was hoping to get some insight on the TBI to MPFI engine/dash harness swap. I have been trying to come up with ways to do this, trying to figure what would be the easiest/cheapest. My thoughts were, to pull both cabs, swap the engines, and then drop the 95 cab on the 87 frame. This seems to be the easiest way to me.

My only thoughts were, what am I going to run into with other wiring on the truck? I know I will have to at least swap the VSS on the tcase, if not swap just the whole case. Both trucks are 5 speed, I would just as soon keep my transmission that is in the 95 because it was a rebuilt unit from a 99 frontier.... In reality I think I could pull the cab, then pull the engine/transmission/transfer case all as one and then drop it onto the 87 chassis.....

What am I missing? Let the comments and concerns roll :)

Alright...I've got a min to respond to this now...what are the cab conditions if the 87 with the good frame has a better body then don't pull it...heres what i would do...did....

I pulled the good working truck into the garage and started pulling the truck apart...I started by pulling everything off the engine and then stripped hte interior and disconnected any of the connectors and pulled hte harness...I opted to swap rear ends and tranny's and tcase as a hwole unit...you don't need to swap the rear axle if you don't plan on swapping over the ABS brakes...you'll just need to pull the abs bulb in the cluster or pull the light...

I'd swap the dashes out including HVAC b/c the 95 stuff was a lot better to deal with than the 87...remember the order of operations b'c it makes life a lot easier later... getting the clusters to innerchange is a PITA and hte ecu drives off of the speedo for hte 95's...

so yea...strip the 87 first all the way down to bare cab..then strip the 95 and put the harness in and then work the componenets in unless certain components go in before portions of the harnesses...

but start at the very end of htis albumn and it was my 95 pathy tear down:

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z48/unccpathfinder/95%20teardown/?start=120

and here is the 87 build (its out of order and kinda sucky b/c i didnt need as many pix to put it back otgether as ref to pull it apart if i needed them:

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z48/unccpathfinder/87%20buildup/#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ16