Suspension upgrade

So far I have swapped out the rear coils with some stiffer ones that gave me a 3" suspension lift. That wasn't so diffacult. I have a set of Pro Comp Es 3000 shocks to replace the stock shocks in the back. I'm actually using springs and shocks intended for a jeep wrangler but I was able to heat of the tops of the coils and bend them to fit the mounts on the Pathy. The shocks turned out to be the same length as the stock ones so I won't actually get more wheel droop, just better damping. It looks kinda funny right now, but that won't be an issue once I am able to install the new struts in the front and level out the rig. The front strut mounts are going to require some extensive modification to fit the ORI struts I have ready to go on. I am looking for feedback here. I'm curious if anyone in here has mounted any higher end off-road shocks like King or Fox on the front of their pathfinders before. I have plans of spanning a length of square tubing over top the engine and attaching it to the tops of the strut mounts to mount the new struts. I've seen this done plenty with jeeps and broncos, but I have yet to see it on a pathfinder. I came to the conclusion that shock hoops were a bad idea since there really isn't a frame to connect them to, but I could be wrong. I'm really curious how others have done this. I know somebody out there has done it. I've seen some pretty tricked out pathfinders out there.

76805_1624026677183_1131960423_1637097_3507556_n.jpg

75792_1624026797186_1131960423_1637098_5457782_n.jpg

73976_1624027037192_1131960423_1637100_7667595_n.jpg

Edited by Methfinder

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thoughts so far, but you REALLY need to do some research on the front suspension for the Pathfinders. Even though ORI calls their shocks "struts" they technically are NOT struts. Take a good look at your factory suspension and you'll notice that the strut doubles as the upper arm on our vehicles and locates the top of the spindle. You definitely CAN mount coilovers up front (Calmini already did it on an R50) but you need to find a way to attach the spindle to the shock body or add a separate upper arm. Either way can be done. I might even have some shock mounts for you. I built a set when I first mounted coilovers that bolt onto the factory towers but ended up not using them when I changed plans for the 599th time.

Good thoughts so far, but you REALLY need to do some research on the front suspension for the Pathfinders. Even though ORI calls their shocks "struts" they technically are NOT struts. Take a good look at your factory suspension and you'll notice that the strut doubles as the upper arm on our vehicles and locates the top of the spindle. You definitely CAN mount coilovers up front (Calmini already did it on an R50) but you need to find a way to attach the spindle to the shock body or add a separate upper arm. Either way can be done. I might even have some shock mounts for you. I built a set when I first mounted coilovers that bolt onto the factory towers but ended up not using them when I changed plans for the 599th time.

This seems to be the common misconception with the ORI's. They are indeed struts that hold the weight of the vehicle without the aid of coils. I have already mounted them to the front of a 99 jeep wrangler with a curb weight of about 3200lbs and they ride nice. My pathfinder's curb weight is about 600lbs more so I'm not sure exactly what to expect. I roughly estimated about 1100lbs per wheel in the front of the Pathfinder(I havn't confirmed this yet) and the ORI's are supposed to be able to hold over 1300lbs per strut. Guys with full sized trucks, like broncos, have mounted these but needed to up the pressure giving them a little stiffer ride.

Ok...name aside. Look up an automotive strut and notice that ORIs don't fit the description.

What are your plans to keep the spindle where it needs to be? If you take off the strut and replace it with an ORI or coilover the spindle will be completely unsupported up top. Most coilovers and ORIs aren't made to take side loads like actual STRUTS are.

What size shocks are going to be used? The smallest ORIs are 8" travel which is way to much for stock suspension arms and CVs. Running separate limit straps and bump stops?

Edited by tmorgan4

Ok...name aside. Look up an automotive strut and notice that ORIs don't fit the description.

What are your plans to keep the spindle where it needs to be? If you take off the strut and replace it with an ORI or coilover the spindle will be completely unsupported up top. Most coilovers and ORIs aren't made to take side loads like actual STRUTS are.

What size shocks are going to be used? The smallest ORIs are 8" travel which is way to much for stock suspension arms and CVs. Running separate limit straps and bump stops?

You're right. I can't bolt the ORI directly onto the spindle. I will be using a brace similiar to the original on the lower mount to support the side load. It will wrap around the lower mount and the piston shaft with a 1/2 bolt through the mount to hold the strut. I am swapping out the ORI's piston shafts with longer ones so the struts don't bottom out on the custom brace. The struts should be able to support the side load after I secure it at the spindle. If not, I know how to reinforce them. It's all experimental. Thanks for you're advice. I'm learning as I go.

Edited by Methfinder

You made coilover mounts for your rig? Awesome!

:cheetos: It shall be interesting to see what happens with this

...plus a gajillion!

I have no opinions either way...hey if your entering into uncharted Pathfinder modification territory...then all the best to ya...i hope that all goes well, and if it doesnt that you learn from your mistakes.

Eddison didnt invent the lightbulb the first time...he didnt fail the first 1999 times either...he didnt just succeed on the 2000th try he found out 1999 ways how not to make a light bulb!!!!!

Tye

:cheetos: It shall be interesting to see what happens with this

:cheetos: I have seat right next to you!

I'm also curious to know how you plan to avoid blowing your CV axles. Very interesting. Your setup in the rear sounds cool. What year/model Jeep springs did you use? You have caught the interest of many people, so don't fall off now!

Jose

I installed the pro comps in the back a couple of nights ago. I found it to be a rougher ride but it corners alot better. So far I havn't taken it off road. I'm holding out for my tires. I had a blow out so I no longer have a spare. My other 4 tires are so dry rotted they're ready to go any day now. I'll have more updates on the rest of the project before the month is over.

• 2 weeks later...

OP: thanks for the update. You might want to look into Bilstein rear shocks over Pro Crap. I've put my Bilstein 5150's through the ringer and they're still smooth as butter. :aok:

I am also very interested to see your plans for custom front suspension. I've always been a little disappointed with the lack of decent aftermarket stuff for our rigs, namely the front suspension.

• 1 month later...

182274_1771287558613_1131960423_1916155_1222701_n.jpg

The finished lower mounts. I made them a press fit onto the ori strut's lower shaft by inserting a piece of electrical conduit to the inside of the lower mounts, then cutting a slit into the lower mounts. The slit made it so I could slide the piston shaft into the new lower mounts.

179998_1771288638640_1131960423_1916164_763490_n.jpg

All finished! It was actually finished before January like I promised. I just couln't find time to post the pictures. Some of you asked what I was going to do about the struts extending out too far. I am going to add limit straps. I'm just being carefull with it right now so I don't ruin my c/v's. I'm open to suggestions for the limit straps. I'll eventually get some good flex shots. It's only a 3 inch lift, nothing spectacular.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I might be going a different route here. Originally, like I said, I wanted to add limit straps to my front suspension to keep my front cv axles from tearing up. Now that they are torn up, and I have to replace them anyway, I'm strongly considering a 4" sub frame drop. After taking out the cv axles I figured I would be half way there, so what the heck, why not go all the way and get er dun right. I do, however, have a few concerns with this modification. First: The sub-frame drop will keep the cv's from tearing up when the suspension is fully extended. What happens to the cv's when my suspension is fully compressed? Do I have to worry about tearing the boots because they are flexing too far in the other direction? (fully compressed)

Second: will the angle on the front driveline be too drastic with a 4" sub-frame drop?

I want to go with a 4" because I found a guy, krfabs.com, that sells the spacers for the drop, and some guy from Santiago Chile posted a thread where he installed it. Looks pretty straight forward. The only difference with me is I won't be using the strut spacers provided by krfab because I already have the struts

just to clarify. I believe Krfab's sub-frame drop would work fine, if I spaced out the pathfinder's stock struts. My struts have a lot more travel. I'll still be able to compress the wheel right up into the fender, while leaving some room for it to drop out as well. The correct solution to my problem would be a longer axle, but I'm not too sure that day has come yet.