what does everyone do for work?

ahardb0dy

1/32 EM in Inconel?? *cringes*

No thanks!! But then I have used them to cut ceramics... :shrug:

They seem to like pasta... :unsure:

You lost me on that one. We used to treat the tiny stuff 'wide open and .0001" per rev' (6000RPM, .6IPM). Why would Tenth per Rev feed rate be the lowest possible? What is the slowest your machine will move and the fastest that your spindle can go??

Not sure if this applies, but when you need better resolution because you are limited to .0001" offsets, program your machine in metric and you will get .001mm resolution (40 millionths of an inch resolution or 2.54X better). I used to run a Mazak QT8N cutting +/- .0001 bearing journal diameters all day in metric and it served me well to offset toolwear, thermal expansion, etc. :aok:

B

.0001 per rev is what I meant for feed rate when I program with mazatrol, I can program measurements details down to .00001 but we only do that with cam software. The mill spindle maxes at 10,000 rpms but when cutting inconel I can only run around 60 sfm without burning the endmill to quick.

Funny you would mention metric, we've been use metric resolution just for the sealing face of these curved flappers. On the last 5.5" seat and flapper combo I made I got 29" of vacuum with a curved metal to metal seal using the metric code so it's pretty accurate that way.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well lets see, as probably the old man on the board lets do it this way

1958 to 1962 diesel mech and boat engineer in the navy

1962 to 1979 ford mechanic specializing in A/C and electrical after about 10 years doing heavy line

1979 to 1993 senior tech with Datsun/Nissan again specializing in A/C and Electrical. During this time is when I fell in love with the hardbody and the Pathys.

93 I got fed up with all the BS, the dealers wanting more from the techs and giving less, so I hung it up.

Worked with the wife until we retired in 2000, sold everything and moved into a motorhome and just kicked around and saw a lot of the country for 6 years,

came back to SoCal and kind of settled in at an RV park working security part time and that's what I'm doing right now sitting in the guard shack goofin around in the NPORA forums :itsallgood:

so started my new job 2 weeks ago gave up on being a C.O. chose to be a manager of buildings and grounds for the Cutchins Program, which is a program for children with severe emotional difficulties aka the 12 worst kids in western/ central mass who cant control there anger at all. even though they are really cool kids. so pretty much im the maintance guy. i get to repair all the stuff that the kids break and try to keep a building that was built in the 1800s from falling apart.

i love this building

threeriversspringfield.jpg

http://www.cutchins.org/programs/ <---- what we do

so started my new job 2 weeks ago gave up on being a C.O. chose to be a manager of buildings and grounds for the Cutchins Program, which is a program for children with severe emotional difficulties aka the 12 worst kids in western/ central mass who cant control there anger at all. even though they are really cool kids. so pretty much im the maintance guy. i get to repair all the stuff that the kids break and try to keep a building that was built in the 1800s from falling apart.

i love this building

threeriversspringfield.jpg

http://www.cutchins.org/programs/ <---- what we do

Sounds like you need a big pack of 12" zip ties and a couple of rolls of duck tape!

James

Sounds like you need a big pack of 12" zip ties and a couple of rolls of duck tape!

James

90 percent of the time the kids are awesome and act like normal kids. but somedays like snow days where the daily schedule gets messed up they dont handle it very well