Best starter

mhay

After a fiasco with 2 rebuilt starters in a week I would highly recommend either getting one made by Beck arnley or a OEM one if you can. Lifetime warranties are fine but I would rather have one that lasts than have to take it back out to replace it under warranty.

Edited by ahardb0dy

If you go reman, autozone would be at the bottom of my list, NAPA on top, Oreilly in the middle - Thats just my opinion. I put a Oreilly reman starter in mine about a year or year 1/2 ago and it is still starting fine.

Yeah, the reman ones are hit and miss, many people go through 2 or 3 to find one that lasts a while. The PO of my truck bought one from a specialty company through Napa that does a true rebuild/upgrade but I can't remember the name now. Maybe call and ask of Napa is local to you?

IIRC the R50 starter fits and is a little smaller so a little easier to wedge into place. Who was it that discovered that?? Adamzan??

B

well my fiasco if I haven't wrote about it already was with my 87 D21, starter took a crap so I went to the foreign auto parts store that a buddy of mine owns, first starter was a local rebuild, first time pulling the starter even with a 3" body lift took over an hour, installed the first rebuilt starter it lasted 2 days and quit, pulled it out and returned it for the second local rebuilt unit, put that one in (started getting faster at replacing the starter now!! ), second starter lasted 1 week, pulled it back out returned it and my buddy (store owner) says to me " I can sell you one from Beck arnley for $50 more" !! I was like why didn't you tell me that from the beginning !!, went home installed the beck starter and had no problems and it was still in the truck when I got rid of it 10 years later. Also got really good at replacing the starter !!LOL

Yeah, the reman ones are hit and miss, many people go through 2 or 3 to find one that lasts a while. The PO of my truck bought one from a specialty company through Napa that does a true rebuild/upgrade but I can't remember the name now. Maybe call and ask of Napa is local to you?

IIRC the R50 starter fits and is a little smaller so a little easier to wedge into place. Who was it that discovered that?? Adamzan??

B

Nope, wasn't me, I still have the original starter. I do remember the post you are talking about though B. Maybe someone can be a guinea pig and try it.

If I had to buy a new starter I would probably go with Bosch, beck arnley, remy, or acdelco. All availible on rock auto and at most parts stores. At least here they are.

4x4pathy94 has been through 5 reman starters in the time I've known him and 4 of those were from napa. They were the napa "supreme" starter as well. The one he has now is from a company called visteon or something but it seems to be holding up alright.

I changed my starter and it didnt fix the problem of the same intermittent starting. I found out the problem was in my battery cable and some of the wire was actually corroded on the inside. Even though I probably didnt have to change the starter Im glad I did since now it gives me piece of mind. Check the battery cable. It may be in there.

I ran across the starter info from the PO. It is NSA...

NSA Corp. was established about 10 years ago by Unipoint Electric Mfg Co., Ltd to be the marketing arm in the US market. UNIPOINT saw the complete transition of many automotive parts from remanufactured units to new units. Many major remanufacturers have gone out of business one by one. Many technicians could no longer live with high defective rates associated with remanufactured electrical components. Understanding the market trend and field feedback, NSA Corp. was formed to sell and distribute 100% new rotating electrical into the US market. NSA Corp. currently has distribution centers in Ashburn, VA and Sacramento, CA.

Apparently a Tiawanese company with a plant in China, the point is that they are new starters not reman and no used parts. I suspect that alone makes them superior to reman. the price was $155 3 years ago at Napa, so far so good...

B

• 1 month later...