Do you like winter driving?

dirtypathy

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy driving in the winter conditions?

• NO! I hate everything to do with winter
    • I dont mind the winter but I hate driving on icy/snowy roads
    • I dont mind it but i would prefer summer.
    • I like driving on the roads, it makes the trip entertaining.
    • I am a winter guru. BRING IT ON!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had that here in Vancouver yesterday, now it's just pouring down rain and the weather report says it's supposed to start snowing in a while again. Higher and more rural areas had about 4-5" of snow.

I want my truck running so I can go play in it, damnit!

We had that here in Vancouver yesterday, now it's just pouring down rain and the weather report says it's supposed to start snowing in a while again. Higher and more rural areas had about 4-5" of snow.

I want my truck running so I can go play in it, damnit!

I hear ya man, its snowing pretty good here at the moment. all that untouched snow, i wanna go do donuts on my street lol.

on the plus side, i got my torsion bar in today. so soon my truck will be ready. saying im excited would be an understatement :bounce:

Bring it!

This morning was not enough.

DSCF3571.jpg

notice how it piled higer on my sliders than anywhere else on my rig...

I used to live Kent WA and I seen snow down their and I thought it was bad. But when I moved to VA I seen 4ft of snow in a day and that was hell and fun to drive in.

In Mass we had houses and small buildings dissapear over night. I was in a boarding school and one moring we had to climb out the windows, dig out the shed with skateboards and large kitchenware and then with proper tools dig out all the exits to the building...

well I'm finding once again the 3 main types of drivers arround my area.

1. PPL who are scared and don't trust their capabilties or are over cautious. They are the bulk fo the drivers in my area, seen going 5mph on a freshly plowed and sanded road even when they have fwd, awd and 4wd. Often just slow and a nusance.
  2. PPL who are overconfident, reckless or ignorant. This is the 2nd largest group and They are seen in diches, suffer from over and under steer from improper speed contol and thus winding up on laws instead of side streets. These are also the ppl who push the gas pedal harder when its already slipping. They will floor it up a hill and slide backwards instead of taking of slowly and maintianing traction.
  3. Laslty PPL who know how to be safe still get to where they are going in a timely manner. This is the smallest group in my area.

Oh I had fun helping group 2 out last night. But when I went out for more in my 89 my water/atly belt broke. I made it home on batteries and didn't overheat. I ran my e-fan while changing the belt quick and when I started it up agian I watched that temp gauge drop like a rock from the 20 degree radiator.

This morning I spend allot of time waiting behind group 1 untill I could pass them either on the road or by hopping curb onto a feild and going arround them.

I hate ice...show and slush under 6" is fine with me...12" on the side of a cliff and a bush saves you is not so fun while wheeling...driving cross cccounty with jackass CA driver's putting themselves in ditches every 1000 feet...ohh yea and that fl driver that passed me when I was 90° to the lane BC I was seeing how slick the highway was getting they got the finger lol...its a good thing I hadn't lost control like most of the folks on the Rodriguez that day ...

I hate snow driving in a fwd but rwd is a lot of fun :D

Edited by unccpathfinder

Well, of course I like legal public wheeling. :) How many times in the year can you get to go offroading to the grocery store or the bank?

The down side is that at 16 degrees outside, my doors were frozen shut today. Then I realized that my transfer case shifter was frozen in place and I could not get my transmission shifter into 1st until truck was running for few minutes and had warmed up. Windows were frozen shut too. Crazy..

I wouldn't want to live in this year round, like Alaska or something, but its fun for a week or two at a time here in Washington.

148555_461511257300_605882300_6185677_5405704_n.jpg

I used to like driving in the snow when I lived in NY, always loved driving thru a pure white field and leaving muddy tracks everywhere!! I used to drive up and down this one road near my house looking for people that ran off road into the median, I would tow anyone out, never asked for money but wouldn't refuse "tips". One day I pulled a guy out in a suburban who had gotten cut off, he gave me $50!

<br><br>Yeah, I haven't accepted a tip for this since I was a teenager, but it does deserve a tip if anything ever did. You are saving them hours of waiting for tow, the cost of a tow, and you are putting your own vehicle at some risk. Not to mention your fuel.

Just the first day of snow this week, I was offered "Lumpia" by some Asian women after helping them (hopefully, that wasn't foreign language for hot sex, because I told them no thanks), and someone asked if they could buy me a coffee, and then later that night two attractive women who I towed about a mile and half up steep hill to level ground, offered me cash, but I told them I was just happy to help.

<br><br>Its just fun to do I think. Its certainly not about being an Angel of mercy or something. Its more selfish than that. Its fun to get out and see what your truck can do. Its satisfying to be able to drag yourself and another car up roads that most can't drive up by themselves, and it does make you feel good to help people when they at least show gratitude. Most don't. Most do not even make eye contact because I think they do not want you to ask for payment or something. Knowing that, I am pretty quick when the tow is done. I disconnect, wave them on as I get back into my truck and head on my way. <br><br><br>The people who really let you know they appreciate your help can really make your day. That's the best payment I could expect.

154357_461409747300_605882300_6183817_1098578_n.jpg

In general I don't mind... the snow doesn't concern me as much as the other drivers on the road. They scare me.

Although driving in complete white out conditions scares the hell out of me!

Agree completely. We rarely get snow in Vancouver, so when we do people don't know how to drive in it and don't have proper snow tires.

Only time I've been scared driving for reasons other than other drivers flooring it trying to get up a hill beside me with summer tires in their beamer, was when I lived in the Kootenays and drove in a complete whiteout late at night in the dark 30km or so from the nearest town. That one was interesting, zero depth perception.

I put vasaline on all the door seals to they sick less.

The wifes gass door latch froze shut and the hot water I used to free it froze the door itslef shut the next day. More hot water, dry it, pulled the latch out and greased it. Greased all the latches on both Pathys; 12 degrees this moring and nothing is stuck shut :)

Where's the picture of the two hot ladies you helped? The least they could do is pose for a picture!

James

Yeah, they were hot... I guess I should have played that card. You would think I would know all the tricks by my age. No, I behaved myself and just told them to be careful as I unhooked and refused their money. :) I am slipping in my old age huh?

I put vasaline on all the door seals to they sick less.

The wifes gass door latch froze shut and the hot water I used to free it froze the door itslef shut the next day. More hot water, dry it, pulled the latch out and greased it. Greased all the latches on both Pathys; 12 degrees this moring and nothing is stuck shut :)

Mine did that too earlier today. Went to put gas in it and the cable was frozen! Took a lot of persuasion and I looked like a total idiot running back and forth from the cab to the fuel door smacking on it. :lol:

I usually help a few people out during the winter and they always seem so shocked when I don't want anything in return.

Whenever anyone asks, "Do I owe you anything?", I always say, "Just never drive past me if you see ME on the side of the road". I have said that enough times, that I really should never be stranded for long if I break down. Well, that is the plan anyway. We will see how it goes. :)

I fly back home during winter season just to get to see the snow and enjoy driving on it .

I love the fog

I love the snow

I love the rain

I love pulling out stuck cars

I love everything about winter

Yeah, they were hot... I guess I should have played that card. You would think I would know all the tricks by my age. No, I behaved myself and just told them to be careful as I unhooked and refused their money. :) I am slipping in my old age huh?

We'll forgive you this time just don't let it happen again!

James

Mine did that too earlier today. Went to put gas in it and the cable was frozen! Took a lot of persuasion and I looked like a total idiot running back and forth from the cab to the fuel door smacking on it. lol.gif

yeah thats what I mean by the latch. If you open the rear compartment on the right and follow the cable to the door you'll find the latch.

squeeze the top and bottom of it and you can slide it out the gas door(if the door is open)

pull it out the gas door and turn it 90* towards you and you will see the cable end running into the latch.

put some grease in this litte groove and push on the latch so is goes both into the latch body and into the cable housing.

snap it back in place put a dab of greas on the outside of the latch and push on it again to get grease in that side too.

No more sticking. smile.gif

Edited by MY1PATH