Do you like winter driving?

dirtypathy

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy driving in the winter conditions?

• NO! I hate everything to do with winter
    • I dont mind the winter but I hate driving on icy/snowy roads
    • I dont mind it but i would prefer summer.
    • I like driving on the roads, it makes the trip entertaining.
    • I am a winter guru. BRING IT ON!!!

Just curious to me what you all think about the winter roads. I guess this will not apply to everyone since some people don't see snow!! Up here in Alberta we see a lot. Personally i love driving in the snow, it makes it entertaining. I see a big drift of snow and i will go right through it(as long as it is not hard :tongue: )

Cheers

Edited by dirtypathy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much of a difference here in NorCal unless you are in the mmountains so I'm pretty indifferent. The only real problem is when flatlanders go up skiing and drive 'like normal' and don't know to watch for black ice on bridges/overpasses/etc and cause serious wrecks.

B

In general I don't mind... the snow doesn't concern me as much as the other drivers on the road. They scare me.

Although driving in complete white out conditions scares the hell out of me!

I agree, the worst part about driving in winter is the other drivers that forget how to drive on icy roads. It is usually the jacked up F-350's i see on their roof in the ditch. Yes you can get more traction on the road in 4x4 but they forget about the stopping part.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the winter.

Rear wheel drive pathy...

Idiots who slide into ditch who are willing to throw you a few $$ to pull them out...

Parking spots on snow piles that nobody else takes...

yep... winter is my favorite driving time

i agree bout the FUN...i look forward to winter driving. I'm always playing around in the snow (safely of course) and im a MUCH better driver because of it. A lot of people call it "screwing" around but i know what to do in most skids.

Agree bout the other drivers and of course blustery whiteouts!!!!!!

Tye

I love it, ppl can depend on me for rides, I pull idiots off the side of the road.

I show up to work on time and get to hear about how so&so can't get their 2wd pickup outa the driveway...

its fun stuff, drifting in snow, attempting to climb snow banks etc...

I love snow and everything that has to do with snow...It's the main point other than visiting my father on why I go up north. *Chicago* Here in PR it's always summer so every winter I go up to have fun in the snow be it driving, boarding, skating, or just throwing snowballs

I used to like driving in the snow when I lived in NY, always loved driving thru a pure white field and leaving muddy tracks everywhere!! I used to drive up and down this one road near my house looking for people that ran off road into the median, I would tow anyone out, never asked for money but wouldn't refuse "tips". One day I pulled a guy out in a suburban who had gotten cut off, he gave me $50!

winter non-drivers make me money, workign in it aint fun, driving in it... :aok:

The wrecker drivers always get to go out in the worst weather. Like in the pouring down rain with hip boots on trying to latch on to some idiot that hydroplaned off a curve into a flooded ditch! By the time you finally get them out you realize the hip boots did you no good and will be really hard to get off now that they are full of water! You guys really got to like your job!

James

i love makin fun of my family members that are do dense to realize ice is SLICK! i slid through a corner getting on to the freeway a few years ago, i called my mom who was going to be going through it a few minutes later. told her to SLOW DOWN to a creep or end up wrecked, since she drives a mini van that drives like a soaped up tube in the snow. about 10 minutes later, she calls me and asks me to come get her, since she put that mini van over the 25ft snow pile in the median, in the exact corner i warned her about. :deadhorse:

all i could say was, i told you so. i have never been stuck in the snow, but i do spend more time sideways than anyone i know. not around other drivers, of course.

Edited by skulptr

i love winter driving, i used to drift my '90 Astro van all winter when i was 16-17. Anyone ever try a car with studded tires, my friend has a set of winter tires studded, makes stopping on ice like its dry pavement. Snow wheeling is fun too!

I found that siped tires stop really well too on ice. I know my Wildcats (that are siped) will stop on a dime and take off pretty securely on wet and icy roads too.

Twice this week I have seen early 90's 4Runners sliding when trying to stop or slow down beside me in traffic. One was on ice, and the other was just on wet roads. Are they known for that or was that just an amazing coincidence?

Better then driving on dry pavement.Snow wheeling isnt that fun because of the over heating issue if you pack you radiator with snow.

shouldn't it just melt and help the cooling? or are you talking about packing your grille so that there is no air circulation?

I've plowed into a few banks and had the whole front covered in packed snow and never had a heat problem...

Edited by MY1PATH

shouldn't it just melt and help the cooling? or are you talking about packing your grille so that there is no air circulation?

I've plowed into a few banks and had the whole front covered in packed snow and never had a heat problem...

Packing the grill so no air circulation and the high rpm low speed you have when traveling in deep powder.These engines are rather cool running from my exspecrince with a leaky rad.But on sunny winter days when wheeling it would run a little higher then normal.Nothing major but when your used to your guage reading 1/4 or less its kinda whierd watching it go up to 1/2.

I got stuck last winter, and another member here ruined his trailer hitch pulling me out. I was trying to move and I noticed that my temp gauge had almost gone all the way to the top, maybe a 1/4 inch away from it. This is what happens when you bury the front end in snow! Suffice to say I don't like snow wheeling, cause you can't see whats underneath.

theres all kinds of stuff you can do to prevent it from getting packed with snow, ive seen a lot of people put cardboard in they grill to block snow building up while on the highway. also to try and keep the engine bay a bit warmer. the colder the intake air the more fuel you burn. ive seen people used like a canvas tarp under the front of the truck to cover the bottom of the engine from snow, slush, and cold air getting up in there. It also works decent on water crossings, it reduces splashing up on top of your motor.

It all depends on snow conditions as well i dont go out when it gets real deep, there are too many snowmobile riders to wheel safely in the middle winter. when i do go, i always stick to trails that i know there are no stumps.

Another thing i did was bring old snowmobile tracks that have been cut so you can lay them flat, and you have 121" rubber track with awesome traction. ive used them ive gotten stuck, as a base for a hi-lift jack, and another one under the tire thats stuck the worst, a shovel to clear snow away is also a must. :my2cents: