very little heat

derrick719

hey so im freezing my butt off up here in the great white north as im getting very little heat from my pathfinders heater. did a frame swap so may have done something wrong refilling the coolent but not sure. the temp only goes to about 1/4 up the temp gauge at the most. is there something im not doing right never had heat probs with my z31s

ok bummer dont feel like pulling the engine apart in -15 + weather hoping it could of been a air pocket or something simple

as a test remove the radiator cap and let the engine warm up, give it a couple revs. then shut off and re-install the cap, if there are air bubbles this should take care of it.

I think you need to move the truck to where it isn't asked to deal with such ridiculous conditions... :D

Seriously though, how hot are the heater hoses?? Actual temp would be great, but can you hold them??

B

i havent checked as its only been a few days and i try to stay inside. tomorrow may be a little nicer. i thinking that but the gauge will go up then drop to the bottom after a while driving

my z was stuck open just took along time to warm up.

maybe your coolant is low. When its low you get air in the tubes that circulate fromt the heater core to back to your radiator because these are the higest ones.

• Open air relief plug (found on rear drivers side of intake manifold) and Top off your coolant to 1/4" below the fill neck.
  • Replace relief plug and Run your engine with the radiator cap off while looking thru the fill neck.
  • Top off as needed so that you can always see fluid above the core.
  • Wait for thermostat to open, you will know it is because the upper hose will heat up and you will see the fluid rushing by the neck.
  • shut off engine,Top off your coolant to just below the overflow hose and pump the upper hose with your hand to relive air.
  • Replace cap. Process can be repeated but it usually only takes once time unless the heater core has been replaced or emptied.

I had the same problem and that is how I fixed yesterday.

My wifes 94 had the same problem but it was because it was like 80% water so I re-filled it with 50/50.

Now both my Pathfinders have nice hot air as soon as the needle starts to lift above the cold mark.

Also, for cold climates you can run up to 75% coolant to help the engine retain more heat because "coolant" does not cool as well as water.

I concour with the above:

1) check the coolant system for air pockets by 'burping' the system, air will catch in the heater core and the higher points of the system.

2) Check coolant level is correct.

3) Thermostat stuck open-replace the thermostat

4) faulty/clogged watercock to the heater core.

5) clogged heater core

Please do all the above with the engine cold!

ya so i drove to calgary a hour and a half drive the engine its self is not getting hot. i can grab any part of the engine but the manifolds and not get burnt. the thermostat is freezing cold so im sure its that. wishing i had some spare cash to do that when the engine was out now.

get a 180* thermostat it will help you in the cold and make sure your coolant is between 50/50 & 75/25 coolant/water.

I have seen engines with the complete inabilty to warm up on a hot day because the owner put only water in it.

From my experience a 170 was more than sufficient here in Ottawa ontario (The store only had that for a wd for some reason). But I don't live in Alberta so Idk what it's like there.

Also just using the 50/50 mix is perfect for these trucks it seems. I have awesome heat in the winter and it never overheats in the summer.

Make sure your fan clutch isn't staying on and not letting the truck warm up. Also you can block off part of the rad with a piece of cardboard and that will help it stay warmer.

ya i just dont want to go out in the dang cold and do it.

the only having water in the rad and having trouble starting in the summer i dont belive as my z ran no prob with just water as the track did not allow cars with antifreeze race or have a extra catch can.

ya ill be doing what the parts store recomends. im sure the clutch is fine as i can spin it by hand.

maybe your coolant is low. When its low you get air in the tubes that circulate fromt the heater core to back to your radiator because these are the higest ones.

• Open air relief plug (found on rear drivers side of intake manifold) and Top off your coolant to 1/4" below the fill neck.
  • Replace relief plug and Run your engine with the radiator cap off while looking thru the fill neck.
  • Top off as needed so that you can always see fluid above the core.
  • Wait for thermostat to open, you will know it is because the upper hose will heat up and you will see the fluid rushing by the neck.
  • shut off engine,Top off your coolant to just below the overflow hose and pump the upper hose with your hand to relive air.
  • Replace cap. Process can be repeated but it usually only takes once time unless the heater core has been replaced or emptied.

I had the same problem and that is how I fixed yesterday.

My wifes 94 had the same problem but it was because it was like 80% water so I re-filled it with 50/50.

Now both my Pathfinders have nice hot air as soon as the needle starts to lift above the cold mark.

Also, for cold climates you can run up to 75% coolant to help the engine retain more heat because "coolant" does not cool as well as water.

I couldn't find this air relief plug... should my 91 have it?

• 3 weeks later...