Tire Chains for family vacation

dagwoodzz

Hey guys, figure some of you cold weather guys could help me. we are taking a family vacation to snow ski in Copper Mtn Co. next week. Taking the wife's Honda Odysess. I am worried about foul weather, looks good going up, but don't know about coming back. I would feel safer if I had some snow chains with me. However snow chains are not easy to find in SE Louisiana. go figure. Can I simply stop at a Wal-mart in Kansas and find a cheap set that hopefully will never be used. Or does more thought and planning need to go into selecting snow chains.

What I'm looking for is...

Where to buy?

What not to buy.

Also the van has some tight wheel clearance - would this cause rubbing issues, perhaps I just don't have a snow car.

Thanks Dag

btw miss you guys, need to po-ho a little more.

Hey guys, figure some of you cold weather guys could help me. we are taking a family vacation to snow ski in Copper Mtn Co. next week. Taking the wife's Honda Odysess. I am worried about foul weather, looks good going up, but don't know about coming back. I would feel safer if I had some snow chains with me. However snow chains are not easy to find in SE Louisiana. go figure. Can I simply stop at a Wal-mart in Kansas and find a cheap set that hopefully will never be used. Or does more thought and planning need to go into selecting snow chains.

What I'm looking for is...

Where to buy?

What not to buy.

Also the van has some tight wheel clearance - would this cause rubbing issues, perhaps I just don't have a snow car.

Thanks Dag

btw miss you guys, need to po-ho a little more.

Hey Dag, post yourself on the member map so that I'm not alone down here.

James

Hey Dag, post yourself on the member map so that I'm not alone down here.

James

Done, saw some of the fine print that scares me...

To keep this information a bit more private and secure for NPORA members, this map is an integrated part of the forum, hosted on our server and is only visible to registered NPORA members and only when they are logged in

This means that Scott now know where Pez lives. Stalker's heaven

Just make sure the chains are tight and the you can put chains on.If it says there not reconmended in the owners manuel then dont,since its most likly a brake line issue.I for one would do studs over chains,since there a lot better compaired to chains,and they make cool sparks when you spin the tires on dry pavement.

FWd vans go good with A/S tires already.

Edited by nismothunder

I got the cable chains... They were cheapest and might only be used once if never.

http://www.tirechain.com/P235-65R-16.htm

My hope is I wont need them. The forcast is sunshine Thursday and Friday, driving days going up. The condo is ski-in ski-out. Hopefully the van can stay parked all week.

D

Thanks for your help,driving in the snow is not my strong suit!