Weird Noise From The Motor

ProStreetDriver

My Pathfinder just started making this noise the other day and its really loud. It sounds like its coming from either the center of the motor, but closer towards the passenger side. Still runs fine, but idles a little erratically. Its almost like a pulsating noise. Doesn't sound like a belt or pulley. Best way to explain it would be, it sounds like air pressure. My dad was thinking maybe it was the pollution pump or even the air line that comes from the manifold to the pump. When I rev it up, it seems to somewhat disappear or even out.

Any ideas???

Figured out the noise the hard way... On my way to school this morning on the highway, heard a clunk and then a ping. So I pulled over immediately and just as I was pulling over the battery Light came on. I thought it might of been an idler pulley until I got out and walked to the front of the vehicle. Then I saw and heard the steam. Popped the hood to find both belts off, and a load of coolant coming out of the front of the motor and the mechanical fan/clutch assembly off the shaft.

So the waterpump is done along with the clutch for the mechanical fan.

Should I also do the timing belt too while I have the pump off???

Oh and the really weird thing. I took a video this morning when I started it up to let it warm up for school. The noise was pretty much gone.

Edited by ProStreetDriver

Got most of it apart. Not gonna lie, what an ignorant job. Needed a timing belt anyways.

I also have to pick up the other 2 serpentine belts too. They were new when I bought the Pathfinder, now the one is chewed is half and the other has a couple chunks out of it.

Yeah the r50' used serpentine style belts for the alternator/fan and ac and a V belt for the PS :blink:

Yep...

Almost done... All I have to do now is put the rad back in, top idler pulley bracket, belts and thermostat(my dad is out picking some up), connect the intake tubes back up and then fill and bleed the system.