Who wants a better Cat? Magnaflow cats $75

MY1PATH

Just thought I'd let everyone know there is an abundance of magnaflow cats available for our rigs on ebay right now and for cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...BSA%3AUS%3A1123

the link above listed at $91.06 but if you click "Make Offer" you can offer less.

I offered $75 and he accepted (now I gotta pay for it lol). You might try him lower as I did not expect him to accept that low a price...

So here's my scoop on the magnaflow cats; I think the OE pathfinder cats are too dense and restrictive. This was evidenced on my 89 when I changed it. The stock core was made up of of 1/16" cells(yes tiny, dese resrictive) and I could not see thru it when I held it up to the sun. The magnaflow I put in its place had aproximatley 3/16" cells (less dense and less material over all to get in the way) and I could see light bouncing off the grass thru it.

After the install it felt like a cork had been pulled out of the engine and I averaged a 1.5MPG increase to boot! I'm hoping to have the same positive results with my 94. BUT I was kind of implusive and did not even look to see what the inside of the stock 90-95 cats look like lol.

PN's

39765 for CA TBI 4cy and V6

22765 for 49 state TBI 4cy and V6

39760 for CA MPFI 4cyl and V6

22760 for 49state MPFI 4cyl and V6

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

I'll do side by side core shots when it arrives for yall to see.

Ok so the OEM 94 core has the same cell size as the magnaflow. BUT the oem has allot more of it. Holding light to it I can see half as much thru the OEM, it is heavy, rusty and bulky. I snaped the heads off all 4 bolts and the magnaflow went up nice and easy with fresh harware.

I also pulled my 89's magnaflow for comparison. The lenghts are slightly differant but the only major differance is that the Pre-90's have an AIR Injection tube.

OEM for my 94... Magnaflow for my 94... Magnaflow for my 89... all 3 cores have the same cell size...

th_oemmpfi.jpg th_magmpfi.jpg th_magtbi.jpg

Here you can see the Girth of the OEM cat next to the Magnaflow.

th_oemandmagmpfi.jpg

and lastly the 90-95 magnaflow next to my 89's magnaflow

th_magnaflowmpfiandtbi.jpg

Unlike when I did my 89 I did not feel a big differance this time. Infact, aside from the slight change in tone I didn't notice anything at all. Still waiting on MPG results...

Maybe its the rest of the stock exhaust holding it back, the cat was amost last on my 89(headders and muffer were done first)

Or maybe my 89 was just clogged real bad.

Edited by MY1PATH

Just thought I'd let everyone know there is an abundance of magnaflow cats available for our rigs on ebay right now and for cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260625332124&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AUS%3A1123

the link above listed at $91.06 but if you click "Make Offer" you can offer less.

I offered $75 and he accepted (now I gotta pay for it lol). You might try him lower as I did not expect him to accept that low a price...

So here's my scoop on the magnaflow cats; I think the OE pathfinder cats are too dense and restrictive. This was evidenced on my 89 when I changed it. The stock core was made up of of 1/16" cells(yes tiny, dese resrictive) and I could not see thru it when I held it up to the sun. The magnaflow I put in its place had aproximatley 3/16" cells (less dense and less material over all to get in the way) and I could see light bouncing off the grass thru it.

After the install it felt like a cork had been pulled out of the engine and I averaged a 1.5MPG increase to boot! I'm hoping to have the same positive results with my 94. BUT I was kind of implusive and did not even look to see what the inside of the stock 90-95 cats look like lol.

Then yours was clogged because when magregor had his cat off I did the same thing and I could see through it. (it was an oem cat)

Then yours was clogged because when magregor had his cat off I did the same thing and I could see through it. (it was an oem cat)

Thats possible, we are talking about my old tbi 89 cali model Air still went thru it, I just couldn't see thru it.

The 94 prolly burns cleaner (MPFI) so it won't be clogged but a larger core size will still make a differance.

Edited by MY1PATH

Thats possible, we are talking about my old tbi 89 cali model Air still went thru it, I just couldn't see thru it.

The 94 prolly burns cleaner (MPFI) so it won't be clogged but a larger core size will still make a differance.

My offer of $77 was declined. Hmm.

I got an e-mail saying to re-send he did not mean to decline. I think he meant to send it to you.

I told him I had already paid so maybe he will get his head straight and ask you to Re-submit your offer.

He ships via UPS ground to Canada. This makes it not worth it for us. You will get raped with brokerage fees.

Yeah, I definitely don't want UPS ground to Canada. But I mentioned that when I bid... I would just get him to ship to my US address and pick it up. I do this all the time for auto parts, SOOOO much cheaper.

Updated with pictures :) see post #2.

Results:

Unlike when I did my 89 I did not feel a big differance this time. Infact, aside from the slight change in tone I didn't notice anything at all. Maybe its the rest of the stock exhaust holding it back, the cat was amost last on my 89(headders and muffer were done first)

Or maybe my 89 was just clogged real bad.

I'll report back later if I see some MPG improvements.

Cool, thanks for the pics. So, aside for gas testing, any way to tell if my cat is messed up? If I look inside will I be able to tell if it is "clogged"?

OH yes, search google there should be some cat diagnostics charts on there.

Your are looking for soot & carbon (its ok if the grid is black) you should be able to see light thru it. If you have melting then you have a fuel issue....

YOU try to can clean it out using sensor safe carb cleaner (not break cleaner). or just replace it.

remember to recyle you old one, you might get some $ back.

Edited by MY1PATH

• 5 months later...

I eventually got one of these too, much shinier than my old one :) Sounds ok, nothing too ostentatious thankfully (I don't really want a loud exhaust). Is this a "high flow cat" suitable for a 2.25" exhaust? I didn't measure anything before putting it on. I assume it is...

I eventually got one of these too, much shinier than my old one :) Sounds ok, nothing too ostentatious thankfully (I don't really want a loud exhaust). Is this a "high flow cat" suitable for a 2.25" exhaust? I didn't measure anything before putting it on. I assume it is...

it depends

the only true 2.25" non-carb cat is the 89 tbi one with the air tube

22760 the MPFI non CARB cat

22760.gif

22765 the TBI non CARB cat

22765.gif

Edited by Tungsten

There is a reason the factory cat is bigger then the after market one... it works better and makes less emissions, if its not carb cat I wouldn't expect it to last more then 3 years. You can sell a non working factory cat for about 60 bucks I don't see how this can be that good

So if i have a 2.25" or 2.5"exhaust setup, what is the point in getting a direct fit cat that is only 2"?

Wouldn't it make more sense to get one that matches the rest of the exhaust and weld flanges to it?

There is a reason the factory cat is bigger then the after market one... it works better and makes less emissions, if its not carb cat I wouldn't expect it to last more then 3 years. You can sell a non working factory cat for about 60 bucks I don't see how this can be that good

So if i have a 2.25" or 2.5"exhaust setup, what is the point in getting a direct fit cat that is only 2"?

Wouldn't it make more sense to get one that matches the rest of the exhaust and weld flanges to it?

Um ok, allot of mis information here. So here's some correct points.

1. the magnaflow cats perform BETTER emissions than your 20 year old OEM units.
  2. They are smaller because they have one less core but the amount of CATALYST is the same or greater than oe spec. the core just slows the gas and heats the Catalyst so it reacts faster on a cold engine. DON'T SMOG COLD!
  3. regardless of the 2.25 or 2.0 label; both my 89' cat and my 94 had about a 2.2" opening that bolted over the stock protruding flanges and if you want your cat to be 2.5" go buy a universal one! these are meant to be OE replacements
  4. THESE ARE OE REPLACEMENTS and AS such they ARE NOT Magnaflows HIGH FLOW CAT. Yes they flow more than stock but they do not flow as much as the Metallic core High flow units.

Here are some numbers pulled off a Dyno when some guys decided to test a few cats;

Test pipe restricted 0 hp

Magnaflow Metallic core High flow restricted 1 HP

Magnaflow OE style restricted 3 HP

OEM unit restricted 4 HP

I can't remember what the test pig was but I am sure the pathfinder OE restricts 5-7 HP depending on how much carbon build up is inside it.

• Like 1

My1path did you randomly come up with those numbers? A stock cat will always clean the tail pipe emissions better then after market. If your cat is restricted then its just flat out bad and needs to be replaced. A cat can't get carbon fouled it burns too hot for carbon to collect, but it can melt the core and cause a restriction

My1path did you randomly come up with those numbers? A stock cat will always clean the tail pipe emissions better then after market. If your cat is restricted then its just flat out bad and needs to be replaced. A cat can't get carbon fouled it burns too hot for carbon to collect, but it can melt the core and cause a restriction

Why do you say that a stock cat will always clean better than an aftermarket?

• 1 year later...

That's like saying the stock air filter will always work better than a new one.

Eventually things wear out when they get old and magnaflow OE replacements are designed to meet or exceed OE standards for emissions.

I have put these one two different Pathys and one Hardbody and I recommend them. On my gold pathy that got killed it had been on it for 5 years and didnt have any emissions problems and the price is definately right, especially compared to the stock cat which will make you cry.

In each vehicle there was a small put noticable feel on the responsiness to the throttle at idle and....from stop lights....

Not a huge gain, but there from having a more efficient flow.

• Like 1