Nissan's Toughest Truck

Manifesto

So spotted this article in a local newspaper today, which was kind of nice :)

(on the little picture the comes up on the article, click on the '2' in the bottom right corner of it to get the Pathy [which was printed in the paper], I'm puzzled as to why a Suzuki its the first picture that comes up on the website O.o)

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/life/article/673531--owners-happily-hang-on-to-nissan-s-toughest-truck

It claims that the pathy came with a manual trans with the 3.5L motors too?? Is this true??

It's definitely news to me if it is lol I always though only the VG33's got an option 5-spd... anyway, nice little read :)

Some good info for someone shopping for an R50 pathy:

(pasting article, incase the page goes MIA one day in the future)

Owners happily hang on to Nissan's toughest truck

JUSTIN PRITCHARD - FOR METRO CANADA

Published: October 27, 2010 9:00 a.m.

Last modified: October 26, 2010 4:09 p.m.

Combining decades of 4x4 truck expertise, real-world capability and a luxurious and refined ride, the last-generation Nissan Pathfinder was popular with Canadian families as an SUV that wasn’t afraid to roll up its sleeves and get dirty.

On sale from 1996 until 2004, the last-generation Pathfinder was eventually replaced for the 2005 model year. In 2001, Nissan updated and facelifted their ute, adding new styling cues and power from a new engine.

The post-2001 Pathfinder will be the main focus of this review-- though much of the information applies to all models.

Pathfinders built after 2001 got between 240 and 250 horsepower from a 3.5-litre V6 which is highly acclaimed in the owner community. Most say the engine is plenty peppy, comfortable towing, and relatively decent on fuel, too.

Transmission choices included a four-speed automatic or a five-speed manual, and a low-range equipped 4WD system with either push-button or lever-actuation was standard. Note that the manual transmission was eventually discontinued.

What owners like

Last-generation Pathfinder owners typically rave about the looks, power, ride quality and comfort levels of their machines. Off-road prowess, noise levels and overall driving confidence are highly rated, too.

What owners hate

Common last-generation Pathfinder complaints tend to centre around limited head and legroom, and a ‘slippery’ rear-end in two-wheel drive on wet or snowy surfaces. Finally, numerous owners gripe about having to feed their Pathfinders pricier premium fuel.

Common issues

On a test-drive, be sure to scrutinize the condition of the used Pathfinder candidate’s leather seating (if equipped) for rips and tears. Ensure proper and relatively quick operation of all power windows, the CD player, and especially, the CD changer on higher-end models.

Be certain the instruments all illuminate and function properly, and the air conditioning blows cold within a few moments of being turned on.

Be sure the 4x4 system’s various modes can be easily engaged and disengaged as explained in the owner’s manual, too.

Have the underside of your used Pathfinder candidate inspected exhaustively for any signs of excessive rust, dents, off-road damage, leaks or holes. Differentials and axles should be inspected visually, as should brake lines, fuel lines and suspension components. If the Pathfinder you’re considering was formerly off-roaded carelessly or otherwise neglected, this is the time to check for potential problems.

The verdict

A clean and well cared-for Pathfinder should prove a rewarding driving machine both on the road and off. Shoppers who find their ideal Pathfinder candidate will likely join a happy and proud community of Nissan truck owners.

The specs

Model: 1996 to 2004 Nissan Pathfinder

Vehicle type: 4x4 SUV

Approximate used price range: $2,000 to $13,000

Some good info for someone shopping for an R50 pathy:

(pasting article, incase the page goes MIA one day in the future)

VERY NICE. Tho, i think that with just a few hours of collaboration, we could have penned a MUCH more better article!!! LOL I want a man. tranny too!!!!!

P.S. I said "more better" hehehehe

Tye

VERY NICE. Tho, i think that with just a few hours of collaboration, we could have penned a MUCH more better article!!! LOL I want a man. tranny too!!!!!

P.S. I said "more better" hehehehe

Tye

You also said you wanted a man tranny... :tongue:

r50 is the toughest- :rofl:

owners typically rave about the looks- once again :rofl: altough they are better lookin than basicly a new anything (note I said basicly... there are exceptions)

At least they picked somethign with SOME taste and not Xterras or somethin

Calm down. Is just a badly titled article. You can tell that the person who wrote it seems to have gotten most of their info from wiki or something. Something like "Nissan's most popular 4x4" would have been a better title.

I love my R50 and think it is a great truck. Yeah it isn't the best one out there, and it does have its flaws, but what doesn't? It is a very popular truck and I see at least 4-5 each day while driving around.

Calm down. Is just a badly titled article. You can tell that the person who wrote it seems to have gotten most of their info from wiki or something. Something like "Nissan's most popular 4x4" would have been a better title.

I love my R50 and think it is a great truck. Yeah it isn't the best one out there, and it does have its flaws, but what doesn't? It is a very popular truck and I see at least 4-5 each day while driving around.

:goodpost: