ABS worth fixing?

sewebster

So my rear ABS (disc) doesn't work. Haven't done the diagnosis yet. Do you think it would be worth fixing? Why rear only ABS? Seems like it would be more important up front so you could steer. I understand that it would be easier to lock up the rears, but maybe that isn't as important... Adding the words antilock anti-lock brake system for searching people.

I didnt fix mine. They wanted $240 for the sensor on the diff. IMO its not worth fixing if its only the rear tires. Id rather just pump the brakes for the 4 months of the year that I would acually use it.

yes, it never made too much sense how 2wheel abs vehicles were only the non-steering wheels.

however, In 4wd the front will not lock up (as a pair. one will, but not both) as long as the rears are not locked.

This is because of the driveline coupling So technically rear abs becomes All-wheel ABS when you are in 4wd braking on a sheet of ice.

I don't have ABS in my 89 but I did use the above trick manytimes to keep the fronts from locking up first when leaving my driveway.

Under hard braking, over 80% and probably nearer to 90% of the weight is being carried by the front wheels. That's why most 80's and 90's pickups and suv's only got rear abs, cause 4k pounds on two wheels should not cause them to lock up, and if they do, it must be some crazy @!*% happening.

As for only rear ABS on these trucks, it's to keep the rear from sending you out of control when they lock up. Personally, I would fix it, and plan on diagnosing mine soon. I'm 95% positive it's the speed sensor in the rear axle.

Here is my thing with the rear ABS. In order for it to function BOTH wheels have to lock at the same time because it relies on the drive shaft for the speed sensor. I guess it will function ok in really slick conditions, but in something intermediate or variable more often then not one wheel will lock before the other without even triggering the ABS.

Under hard braking, over 80% and probably nearer to 90% of the weight is being carried by the front wheels. That's why most 80's and 90's pickups and suv's only got rear abs, cause 4k pounds on two wheels should not cause them to lock up, and if they do, it must be some crazy @!*% happening.

As for only rear ABS on these trucks, it's to keep the rear from sending you out of control when they lock up. Personally, I would fix it, and plan on diagnosing mine soon. I'm 95% positive it's the speed sensor in the rear axle.

x2

• 2 weeks later...