Bender Built WD21 Rock Sliders

After letting my rocker panels rust out, I decided it was time to get some rock sliders to protect them. I got a good deal on some 2x3" 1/4" wall steel, and some 1 7/8" or so tubing and took the material over to Bender's to start building a set of sliders. We decided to make them bolt on, so they could be easily removed for repainting and cleaning purposes.

The first thing we did was get the measurement for the length, which was just long enough to clear the front tires. The ends were cut on an angle so they don't catch, and capped with 1/4 plate to protect them:

img4314p.jpg

After that we made some stand offs out of 1/4" plate and 2x2" square stock. I drilled mounting holes in the frame and got some hardware to fasten them with. We clamped everything together in the right position and tacked them together:

img4317u.jpg

img4318f.jpg

img4316uh.jpg

Bender welded them up and I took them home, gave them a coat of self etching primer, and a quick rattle can job the day before I left for Moab. When I got back, Bender and I bent the round tube and tacked it to the outside of the 2x3. That was the hardest part I think. It was tricky to get the angles right and have the tube somewhat flush to the 2x3. I don't have any pictures of that process, just the finished product mounted on the truck:

From the side:

img0010kr.jpg

you can see how much they stick out from this angle:

img0009wd.jpg

The 2x3 tubing is supposed to take the brunt of an impact while the round tubing offers a place to stand on as well as act as pivot points for trees etc. They are also useful when there is no dock at the boat launch. The round tube is also thick enough to take some bumps off rocks, and support the full weight of the truck when lifting with a jack. There are 2 supports for the round tube to make sure they don't bend in the middle. They are cut from the same stock as the 1 7/8" round tube.

The only other thing i am going to do is go to the skateboard shop and get some grip tape for the tops of the round tube. The paint gets scratched too easily if you have small pebbles stuck in the treads of your boots.

So same as the rear bumper, i would like to hear your thoughts on the sliders. Is there anything you would have done differently or change? I like all feedback, not just the good stuff.

Now we just have to figure out what we're gonna make next :scratchhead:

Looks good! Im jealous! Is he/you making a template? For some reason, a stump decided it liked my stepbar more than I did. This looks like the way to go!

Why not spray bedliner on them instead of paint? That would give some durablity and grip for boots, would it not?

The only other thing i am going to do is go to the skateboard shop and get some grip tape for the tops of the round tube.

Princess Auto has it too, and likely cheaper. Put it towards the inside, so your legs dont hit it on the way out of the truck. (It's scratchy in shorts weather)

Nice Nige. You guys need to start making templates, cause when its finally time for my vehicle to leave its garage, that's one of the very first things I want to tackle and exactly what I had in mind. In my own design in my head I was considering the exact same thing... Unfortunately, Im more of a dreamer then a doer since I've lost my life to children.

And about the grip from princess auto... Please take my advise. I've been skateboarding for over 20 years, and competitively for about 7 of those and I can assure you. There's grip tape, and then there's Real Grip tape. Do yourself a favor and get it from a skate shop because anything else is worthless in short order.

• Like 1

I think they look sweet, if we are looking for honest opinions here. :friday:

I think Bender sucks, if we are looking for honest opinions here. (buy he is a hell of a weld/fab guy) :D

Bendy pants can make anything fit anything! (that's what she said)

:)

ohhhh. ok. thats one sexy X though. :jacked: oops

anyway. i so want some of these sliders. damn i need a job.

Edited by SexJelly

What about pulling the factory running boards off and fabricating custom rock sliders that adapt to the brackets? Thats what i want to do because wheeling is damaging the running boards pretty bad.. Sound like a good idea? :shrug:

Definitely not a good idea, mine have rusted from the inside out. I cant even stand on mine without the factory brackets bending. You also need to anchor the sliders onto the frame, otherwise you are just changing the place that the damage to the body is occurring.

I woulda totally built mine like this...but I didn't have access to a bender, so mine just hang out further and use the 2x3 as a step...

What did you use to drill through the frame?

Just a good hand drill and a quality drill bit and some wide washers on the back. Thats why the holes are on the bottom for access to drill them. What is not shown is the beefy gussets welded at the top of the 2x2's and the mounting plate to help stop deflection.

Just a good hand drill and a quality drill bit and some wide washers on the back. Thats why the holes are on the bottom for access to drill them. What is not shown is the beefy gussets welded at the top of the 2x2's and the mounting plate to help stop deflection.

Yeah, I welded mine on, but wanna make sure they stay where they are incase of a big hit...so you just used a nice metal bit?