I'm at a loss with this squealing noise

Panbacca

Over the summer my 2003 decided to start making this squealing noise at low speeds (below 15mph).

Figured it was time to change the brakes, so I replaced the rotors & pads. While I was down there I greased the wheel bearings really good.

The squeal persisted. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger front wheel well area.

It is a high pitched squeal that appears after the vehicle has been driving around for a few miles, and only makes the noise when I'm going under 15mph.

This is definitely NOT a belt squeal, it's something else. It's also not a rhythmic squeal, just a consistent squeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll. Until I hit about 20mph, then it disappears completely.

Been to three mechanics. Two independent places that both blame the brakes, and one Nissan dealership that is telling me it is the wheel bearing.

I'm at a loss, and completely frustrated with this.

Anyone have any ideas? Other than the brakes or bearings?

Edited by Panbacca

your caliper isnt sticking on that side causing the brake to squeal a little is it? thats happened on my 93 and 92 pathfinder. IDK i knowu asked for other options but i thought i throw that out there.

I had thought about the caliper sticking... The last shop I went to mentioned something about how the pad could be rubbing on the rotor. How hard would it be to swap the caliper out? How do I deal with the brake fluid?

I've also been looking around for Wheel hub assemblies and cannot find any for the 2003. The only ones I find are for 2004+.

I had thought about the caliper sticking... The last shop I went to mentioned something about how the pad could be rubbing on the rotor. How hard would it be to swap the caliper out? How do I deal with the brake fluid?

I've also been looking around for Wheel hub assemblies and cannot find any for the 2003. The only ones I find are for 2004+.

Changing a caliper is easy, take a clamp and clamp the soft line so no fluid escapes and unbolt the caliper from the bracket and undo the brake line to the caliper and then just attach the brake line to the new caliper and release the clamp. There might be just a little brake fluid that comes out, then you need to pump your brakes a little to get some fluid in the new caliper and go loosen the bleeder valve a little to let the air out until you see just fluid and then just add some brake fluid to you master cylinder resavoir.

Thanks for the write-up. Never done any brake bleeding, so I just want to be sure I did it right.

When I last changed my pads, the calipers looked pretty awful. Not sure what the failure rate is, or if they just wear out over time or not.

If you do end up bleeding the brakes, one thing I learned from experience is to disconnect the battery before you do. The first time I bled them and didn't I ended up with the brake light on for a few days. It eventually went off but just something to keep in mind.

If the calipers are really old and ugly they can stick, one thing to try is pumping the brakes very lightly when it makes that noise. If it goes away it is most likely in the braking system. If not it could be a bearing but they tend to get worse not better as you speed up.

I have a similar problem that has been a nightmare to fix. I replaced rotors, pads, calipers and had the brakes bled. The bearings have only about 30,000 miles on them. My last bet is the needle bearing inside the knuckle that I am unable to remove because it must require some tool that nobody has but Nissan. So know I live with this awful squeal until we get a new rig. Good luck and let me know if you ever fix this issue.

Needle bearing, WTF.

Just when I think I have the culprits possibly narrowed down, I learn about a part that I've never heard of before. :wacko:

I think I'm still going to replace that rotor, then GREASE up the metal-to-metal contacts with some caliper grease. Here's to hoping it works, I just hate replacing the rotors, it's a PITA.