1998 Pathfinder

Mr3B

I have 98 that runs fine when cold. Starts fine, drives fine and accelerates fine. After it warms up it starts fine, idles fine but when you go to give it gas it stumbles. Let off the gas it regains and is fine until you mash the gas again. If you ease into the throttle it will accelerate ok. Changed the fuel filter yesterday and added some fuel injection cleaner. No check engine light! So I guess my question is where would you all start air, fuel or electric?

Thanks,

I had a faulty MAF that caused similar problems.

Mine is an auto, so when the transmission shifted up, I would have to give it more (or sometimes less) gas to maintain speed. This is because the air flow would be changing significantly when the engine's speed changes, and the MAF's improper signals would cause problems.

Ok I forgot to mention my Pathfinder is an automatice as well. This morning I did the following trying to fix the problem. I replaced the spark plugs (Even number 6) Cap and Rotor, and cleaned mass air flow sensor. Pathy drives awsome for about 10 minutes when cold and then cuts in and out and sputters as soon as you press the gas, as soon as you let off it regains idel and is fine. It idels just fine smooth as can be. No check engine light and no codes. If you Mash the gas and hold it kind of clears up about 3500 RPM. Anybody who can lead me in the right path would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

I had the same problem. After replacing the MAF sensor, throttle position sensor, wires and cap it turned out to be the distributor. Pull the cap off to see if there is any signs of rust.

Edited by trevor

Ok I forgot to mention my Pathfinder is an automatice as well. This morning I did the following trying to fix the problem. I replaced the spark plugs (Even number 6) Cap and Rotor, and cleaned mass air flow sensor. Pathy drives awsome for about 10 minutes when cold and then cuts in and out and sputters as soon as you press the gas, as soon as you let off it regains idel and is fine. It idels just fine smooth as can be. No check engine light and no codes. If you Mash the gas and hold it kind of clears up about 3500 RPM. Anybody who can lead me in the right path would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Now I REALLY think it's the MAF...