My Intake Mod

01silvapathy

Let me start off by saying I dont care if you think its stupid or pointless. I believe it serves a purpose and is kind of practical.

Now on to what I did. As some may know I got a JWT Pop Charger awhile back and I love the thing, by far one of the best mods to date for the truck. The stock intake resonator is pretty big and houses the IAT (intake air temp) sensor. That sensor is placed for the stock air box and read the temp for that. Now that the filter is in the engine bay it really does not do its job. So what I decided to do was remove the sensor from the stock intake resonator and get rid of that piece of trash. I re mounted it up in the engine bay close to where the pop charger filter sits at. This is right where the filter takes all of its air from so it should in reality help. But once the resonator was removed there was a big gaping hole that leads right up to the filter and I could just imagine water splashing up and me hydrolocking as a result. So I decided to make a new intake tube and a removable plate that could be easily intsalled on the trail or as needed and removed when done. So onto the pics, I know its not super pretty but its functional for now. I need to still make a small shield for the IAT sensor and silicone up a few areas but other than that, it was a fun little project for a boring saturday night at the shop :wiggle:

Hole where the resonator came up into the stock air box. Notice you can see right down to the tire :chairfall:

IntakeMod001.jpg

Temp location for the IAT sensor until I can fab up a shield and perm. mount it somewhere where it will not get wet.

IntakeMod002.jpg

Rough design of the plate that will cover the hole. Bolts were tacked on the under side of the fender well so all I need to do to install the plate is just use wing nuts to tighten it down

IntakeMod004.jpg

Ran the 3in ID irrigation pipe up to the hole, and ran some fuel tubing around the edge of the intake hole to help create a good seal. And let me tell you it is a great seal we shot up air from an air hose and had no leaks with soapy water, also shot a water hose up with no leaks :new576:

IntakeMod005.jpg

Everything zip tied in place and the pop charger filter back on, what it will look like for normal city driving

IntakeMod008.jpg

Where the tubing gets all the air from, right next to the fog light

IntakeMod006.jpg

All done up, had to cut some of the slats out from the grille to allow for better airflow

IntakeMod009.jpg

Still have to finish those last few parts and paint the inside of that pipe with some spray paint so its not so obvious when you are looking straight on at it. But let me know what you think.

Edited by 01silvapathy

I like your ingenuity! This reminds me of muscle car era Pontiac Ram air systems - if the hose was connected direct. I presume the IAT sensor will be between the cone filter and the TB? The hose routes easily enough I presume. You could put your plate on a hinge and have it bolt open or closed.... or put a power door lock actuator on it, lol. Ok, I got carried away there.

Looks good!

Baller, The first seal of approval :beer: Im actually kinda intrigued by the hinge idea, but that would be way to much work for such a simple task....and burning through the thin sheet metal in the engine bay is wayyy to easy even with the amerage turned waaayyyy down. And I dont think im going to mount the IAT in the actual intake tube between the filter and tb. I think im just going to bolt it to the side of the engine bay out of the way and harm of dust and water. The bracket should protect it pretty well from those but get a good air temp reading at the same time. Plus I have a feeling it would be an issue to drill and then try to make a seal on the stock intake tube from the pop charger to the tb.

Edited by 01silvapathy

I like the tubing idea with getting fresh air for that filter. I would mount that IAT sensor inline with the piping after the filter though. I understand your logic and it makes sense but there's just to much variability mounting it in free air.

For instance on a hot day, that sensor will get heat soaked from the engine bay and give a bad reading. In the pipe, air moving past will keep it more accurate. Also, if it gets dirty or even dusty, the reading will be off. Not that it will have extreme effects on your engine, it just really isn't ideal.

Keep up the mods though :aok:

I suppose you are right on that. I will look into mounting it inside the piping to the tb. The one problem though that I do have is that the stock wire is no where near long enough to reach that. So I dont even know how to go about lengthening it to make it all the way to the intake piping

I have to second putting the IAT in the actual air intake, I think your engine will operate better. It might be splitting hairs, but...

Ya, the hinge idea was a little wacked. I wasn't thinking of welding it in, just bolt or rivit, but stil it would be tedious to make it look nice.

Putting the duct straight to the filter would be great if there was an air box in between to let water settle. It would give a colder air charge which would be better for power. But you'd need to move it all every time you wanted to do a water crossing.

Like I said I would love to mount it there but I dont even know how to cause the wire is not long enough. So yeah how would I go about lengthing it? And if I ever need to I can always just plate the intake for bad general weather like heavy rain and such there will still be air going into the engine bay through the grill and the many other gaps up in the space.

If it was me I would just cut the harness and add in some extra wire that was the same gauge or better and make sure I did a quality solder and heat shrink job on the connections. Anyone know why that wouldn't work?

Yup, that is the way to go. First get some wire that is as thick or thicker then the stock wiring. Now cut the wire back about 4" from the sensor and strip the cut ends back about 1/2". Mount the sensor where you can in the tubing. Then cut your new wire to length, strip the end and solder/tape (or shrink wrap is even better) the connections. Make sure you connect the same colour wires together also!

I think it's a good idea. I was thinking about doing something similar on the WD21. The water will drain out while the air will be sucked up the hose. I say just leave it as is and don't connect that hose to the filter, it will be safer this way as it will reduce the sucking power inside the hose while at the same time bringing a breeze of air close to the filter.

Yeah, I was never really considering running the tube right into the filter anyways. Way too much can go wrong with that and forget about blocking it off on water crossings and such. The only things im still wanting to do is splice in some more wire and mount the IAT sensor inbetween the tb and filter as well as get a piece of screen mesh to mount to prevent all those bugs and such from slamming up and becoming embedded in the filter :chairfall: