WD21, D21, and R50 Lube Specifications

Kingman

Here is a list of the lube specifications from Nissan for the WD21, D21, and some caR50. The caR50 Pathfinders use the same transmission, transfer case, and differentials as the WD21, so lube specifications for those will be the same. I do not have the information available for the rest, however. The commonly known TSB for the WD21 manual transmission was fixed at the factory when the R50 was introduced. Nothing fancy, just the basics. Please, feel free to add to the list.

Type:

Engine oil - 5W30 (or whatever works best for your particular application)

Manual transmission oil:

• Gasoline engine - APL GL-4 SAE 75W90
  • Diesel engine - APL GL-3 SAE 90 or 140

Differential oil:

• Open differential - APL GL-5 SAE 80W90
  • LSDs differential - Use only LSD gear oil APL GL-5 SAE 80W90 approved for Nissan LSDs

Transfer case oil - APL GL-4 80W90

Automatic transmission fluid - DEXRON or DEXRON II (Dexron III is "suitable")

Chassis:

• Wheel bearings, muffler bearings, steering knuckles, drives hafts - Multipurpose lithium grease No. 2
  • Steering drag link, sliding shaft yoke - Multipurpose lithium grease No. 0

Power steering fluid - Automatic transmission fluid DEXRON or DEXRON II (Dexron III is "suitable")

Brake fluid - DOT3 or DOT4. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point than DOT 3, and also absorbs much less moisture. Both are compatible with zero issues

Clutch fluid - Brake fluid DOT3 or DOT4. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point than DOT 3, and also absorbs much less moisture. Both are compatible with zero issues

Fill quantity:

Engine oil 4 cylinder:

With filter change

• 2WD - 4.0 quarts (3.79 liters)
  • 4WD - 4.5 quarts (4.26 liters)

Without filter change:

• 2WD - 3.5 quarts (3.31 liters)
  • 4WD - 4.0 quarts (4.26 liters)

Engine oil 6 cylinder:

With filter change

• 2WD - 4.25 quarts (4.02 liters)
  • 4WD - 3.7 quarts (3.5 liters)

Without filter change:

• 2WD - 3.8 quarts (3.58 liters)
  • 4WD - 3.2 quarts (3.03 liters)

Engine oil 4 cylinder diesel:

With filter change

• 4WD - 7.9 quarts (7.48 liters)

Without filter change:

• 4WD - 7.1 quarts (6.72 liters)

Manual transmission fluid - 5.1 quarts (4.83 liters)

REFER TO THIS THREAD FOR THE TSB INFORMATION ON OVER-FILLING THE MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. http://npora.ipbhost...?showtopic=2621

Differential:

Front

• R180A - 2.75 pints (1.3 liters)
  • R200A - 3.1 pints (1.47 liters)

Rear

• H190A - 3.1 pints (1.47 liters)
  • C200 - 2.75 pints (1.3 liters)
  • H223B - 5.85 pints (2.77 liters)

Automatic transmission fluid - 6.15 quarts (5.82 liters)

Steering gear:

• Manual - .75 pints (.35 liters)
  • Power - 2.15 pints (1.02 liters)

Coolant: (includes coolant recovery tank, if so equipped.) Use regular "green" fluid, it is Ethylene Glycol. Do not, under any circumstances, mix red and green coolant. Destruction of parts will ensue.

• 6 cylinder - 11.1 quarts (10.5 liters)
  • 4 cylinder gasoline - 9.25 quarts (8.76 liters)
  • 4 cylinder diesel - 13.5 quarts (12.78 liters)

Blinker fluid - 2.97247821466358 pints, use Nissan Part No. 999MP-WD21D21R50WD22Z31Z32Z33Z34 (1.40627934 liters)

Automatic transmission fluid oxidation in degrees Fahrenheit, life expectancy in miles:

175F - 100,000

195F - 50,000

212F - 25,000

235F - 12,000

255F - 6,250

275F - 3,000

295F - 1,500

315F - 750

335F - 325

355F - 160

375F - 80

390F - 40

415F - Less than 30 minutes

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 3

Soon, but not yet. I changed manual tranny amount from 1.5 to 5.1...

Lets take the time to put the unit of measurement next to each quantity, just for clarification and the numbers have not been double checked yet. I'll try to get to it later, then we can clean up and pin... ;)

Thanks and good job Pinky!! :aok:

B

I edited a little, thanks B for changing the MT level. This is just kind of a rough draft, everything was copied word for word out of an updated shop manual covering Pickups and Pathfinders from 1970-1989. Obviously the information is a little old, and Nissan may have updated some of their specifications along the way; such as the TSB for the manual transmissions.

I also haven't checked this information against a Nissan FSM, since I can imagine it would be a little difficult to find one for a diesel Terrano, 2WDs, and the few 4 cylinders out there. :shrug: If someone has access to that specific information, feel free to chime in. :beer:

Hopefully this can be edited to be as close to 100% correct as possible and used as a reference in the future.

Edited by Kingman

• 2 weeks later...

My FSM says to use "Dexron" for the transfer case (1991). But I guess it's ok to use the GL-4 stuff. I've heard people saying they use the same thing for the transfer case and the (manual) transmission... I assume this is ok? e.g. Redline MT-90? How about using 75w90 in the front and rear differentials? Seems way easier to find (and shouldn't be too much different) than 80w90? It even has the identical diagram on the "viscosity index" page of my FSM...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

r50 takes atf for the transfer case IT DOES NOT TAKE gear oil

If it's equipped with the same TX-10 as in the WD21 (not the all-mode transfer case) it does.

• 3 months later...

you guys know if I can put the Redline heavy shockproof gear oil in the rear differential and would i still need an additive for LSD I have some left from one of my cars here is the link from the Redline site Click here

• 8 months later...

did we ever get a quantity for the T-case?

Does it have to be gl-4 for the t-case? I know we use gl-4 instead of gl-5 for the manual trans because of the brass synchros, but the T-case doesn't have synchros, does it?

Also, I know I have the H223B diff because it took 2.7 quarts, but I don't have that sticker indicating an LSD. Are all H223Bs LSDs? Or did Nissan make some H223Bs open? I would think that one of the other rear diffs would be the ones that are open because they would be lighter duty.

And Sewebster asked the same question I have. It never got answered

The T-case calls for 80w-90, but the manual trans calls for 75w-90.

Would 75w-90 be ok for the t-case?

Edited by 1994SEV6

Well, the '94 (and 95) Pathfinder FSM claims Genuine Nissan ATF (which is probably Matic D) or Dexron II for the t-case, so basically use Dexron III. I have no idea if gear oil will work. The '94 FSM says 2.32 quarts. :shrug:

There are H223B open diffs, I have one. 94 FSM says 2.96 quarts, same as my R50 diff.

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1

Well, the '94 (and 95) Pathfinder FSM claims ATF+3 (at least that's what I think "Nissan ATF*3" is) or Dexron II for the t-case, so basically use either ATF+4 (all ATF+4 is synthetic and meets minimum specifications since it's a licensed fluid, and ATF+3 isn't sold/made anymore) or Dexron III. I have no idea if gear oil will work. The '94 FSM says 2.32 quarts. :shrug:

There are H223B open diffs, I have one. 94 FSM says 2.96 quarts, same as my R50 diff.

well now I'm pissed. I thought I was done with ATF I hate that crap. It gets everywhere and I hate the smell.

Found a blurb in the "changing transfer oil" section in the '94 Hardbody FSM that says "When changing transfer oil completely, Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent type DEXRON II or gear oil (75W-90) may be used. Do not mix Automatic Transmission Fluid and gear oil."

So throw in some M1 75W-90 in that and be happy!

• Like 1

Found a blurb in the "changing transfer oil" section in the '94 Hardbody FSM that says "When changing transfer oil completely, Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent type DEXRON II or gear oil (75W-90) may be used. Do not mix Automatic Transmission Fluid and gear oil."

So throw in some M1 75W-90 in that and be happy!

whaaaaat?

I looked, and I'm currently looking that the FSM. It says "Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent type DEXRON II fluid is used for the transfer. Never add gear oil (75w-90) to Automatic Transmission Fluid."

I'm not complaining, but we must be reading something different. Please show me where it says to use gear oil because I would be much happier if I could.

Edited by 1994SEV6

• 2 months later...

I'm curious on the question of using the same gear oil in the manual tranny and transfer case. Just bought a manual tranny with 4x4, 95 year model. Can I just use the same GL4 75w90 in the transfer case also. One less fluid to buy the better. What is the redline synthetic replacement for the GL4 75w90?

• 4 weeks later...

I didnt see this anywhere, could you use redline mt-90 in the front and rear diff's also or is that a bad Idea? I am just curious, I am planning on ordering the redline fluid soon for the trans and transfer case, figured if I could use it everywhere I would. Thanks for this post. Lots of good info.