Limiting Straps on R50

fleurys

This one is long overdue... Here it goes...

I decided last winter to buy what was needed to eliminate the strut top-out I was experiencing almost daily. The road from my house to my work are not in good shape and I wanted to so something about it before my strut disintegrate !

I tried last saturday to take a few pictures to better illustrate how I have decided to do it. There is other ways, but I like mine for different reasons.

1) I used adjustable clevis so I can move the adjustment of the strap if I need it or if I change the setup or suspension. Since At the time of doing this I knew I was going to add a spacer later in the year, I knew It would be a piece of cake to do so. If you have a fixed setup, then you need to either re-weld or change your straps...

2) I welded a plate on the inner fender of the pathy cause I feared the metal sheet of the pathy was not going to be strong enough for the long run if I just welded a small surface mount on it... So I welded a plate, then welded the surface mount on the plate, giving more strength and area to the mount.

I bought my stuff at Pacific Custom ( http://www.pacificcustoms.com ) Great service and fast delivery, no mistakes...worth mentioning these days..

The parts I used are the following :

1) CHROME STEEL ADJUSTABLE CLEVIS FOR LIMITING STRAPS - MADE IN CHINA

Part Number: AC510050C

Price: $35.00

2)WELD ON FORGED MOUNT FOR LIMITING STRAP CLEVIS

Part Number: AC510050CV

Price: $10.00

3) BEARD 13 INCH LONG 2 PLY BLACK SUSPENSION LIMITING STRAP WITH 1/2 BOLT HOLES - MADE IN USA

Part Number: RA17113

Price: $24.00

In my setup, a 13Inch strap was limit a bit and that's why you see the adjuster all the way to the minimum. But since I will be adding a spacer this winter, It will go down 1 inch and will be perfect. Be advised that straps do stretch a bit. I would recommend a 12inch for a regular pathy lifted with ac springs but no spacers.

The bottom was made from a welded piece of steel that was bent a bit in order to have a direct line with the upper mount so that it pulls in straight line.

Here's a few pictures... If you have questions, don't hesitate. ha yes, almost forgot... gone is the bang of top out.. now I don't hear anything.

General view:

CIMG1855-XL.jpg

CIMG1862-XL.jpg

Upper mount:

CIMG1856-XL.jpg

CIMG1857-XL.jpg

CIMG1863-XL.jpg

CIMG1865-XL.jpg

Lower mount:

CIMG1858-XL.jpg

CIMG1859-XL.jpg

CIMG1860-XL.jpg

CIMG1861-XL.jpg

CIMG1864-XL.jpg

Hopefully this will help clear the many questions you guys may have about this mod.

S.

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 4

So.....how does it work?!

not sure if you mean "how do limiting straps works" or "is this setup working for you" ??

1) limiting straps, limits the travel of your suspension just a tad so that it does not hit the maximum... So I cranked it between 1/4 and 1/2 inch before maximum extension

2) The top out has been eliminated. works very well

• Like 1

LOL ya shoulda been a little more concise with my question. I know how limiting straps work just wanted to know how the setup worked for the situation. Glad to see it worked out well for you. Would you keep them on for wheeling?

they are even more important when wheeling cause I can jump around more aggressively when climbing steep stuff or deep ruts without the fear of killing my struts.... they prevent strut failure eventually if you wheel hard on the trails...

:clap: Bravo Steve ,tu n’arrêtes jamais a nous surprendre avec tes simple et magnifique modifications .

:beer: A votre santé et a cette belle Pathy

Well written , well demostrated as susal great informative updates

• 3 months later...

Thank God for 2 things right now. One the search feature finding this post, two you providing all the part numbers and detailed pics. Saved me a bunch of trial and error. Thank you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zraver said:

Thank God for 2 things right now. One the search feature finding this post, two you providing all the part numbers and detailed pics. Saved me a bunch of trial and error. Thank you.

Cheers !

• Like 1

I used your post to order mine, prices are a bit different now but not much and the straps are 4ply now not 2. Looking forward to getting them welded on so I can stop sweating so much on the trail.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Very cool!  I'll be interested to hear about your experiences.  @fleurys how have the limiting straps been holding up for you?

They worked until my truck went to the graveyard.  Now on my new one, I have my spacers instead of the stiffer coils and I don't need limiting straps anymore to eliminate strut top out...  I might re-install them one my other pathfinder project (for trail only) that i'm about to start..

S.

• Like 3

I put mine on to stop the downward travel of the control arms past the point where my cv axles bound up. Since no one sells sfd's any more and I am neither rich nor a fabber it was a work around. Trade some traction for a mechanical safety margin. I was able to wheel it pretty hard this past weekend and not having that fear of a lifted wheel made the experience a whole lot more enjoyable.