Doing an oil change With my skidplate

fleurys

Since I have started making front skidplate with the oil filter window for the R50, many have asked me how the oil filter could come out without creating a mess. I tried explaining it but english not being my first language, I had a bit of difficulties finding the right words. I decided, since last saturday was a maintenance day for me, to take a bit more time and take some pictures to better show how it's done.

Once you remove the access window, you will see that the oil filter is right there, a little higher then the window.

CIMG1867.jpg

Then, I usually use any piece of cardboard laying around and shape it in a funnel or half-pipe shape. I then insert it just under the oil filter.

CIMG1869.jpg

CIMG1870.jpg

Once this is done, start slowly unscrewing the oil filter to let the overflow drip on the card board and into your oil bucket. The fact that the window access is big enough for a hand and the cardboard makes all the difference.

CIMG1871.jpg

CIMG1872.jpg

After a few seconds, you can totally remove the oil filter, and wait for all the oil to drip out.

CIMG1873.jpg

Put back a new oil filter and you're done. This last picture is to show that you can do this without dropping one drop (those drops are not mine) :D

CIMG1874.jpg

This is only exclusive to VG-equipped R50's, though.... Right? :(

I do offer to have the window on the passenger side for the vq's and on the driver side for the vg. But because of the placement of the oil filter on the vg engine, I have been told that it is difficult to reach it anyway even without a plate...

oh my bad. i got confused. on my 3.3L vg, the oil filter is tucked up high on the driver's side and oil changes are sloppy. i am running without a "skid" plate, but am starting to worry about my alternator as it seems to be collecting a lot of crud on it. i'm not sure if this is from running without the skid plate or if it's from one of the numerous oil leaks that i seem to have.

on my 3.3L vg, the oil filter is tucked up high on the driver's side and oil changes are sloppy.

Loosen the oil filter, but not enough to let oil drip, then place a Ziplock sandwich baggie around the filter as you unscrew it. The baggie will catch nearly all of the oil and minimize the mess. Granted, it does take a little longer to unscrew the filter because the dripping oil will make it hard to get a good grip on the filter through the baggie, but your steering rack bushing will thank you for it!

Edited by XPLORx4

Nissan got smart with the VQ R50 and put in a little metal piece that catches the oil that comes out and directs it over the subframe, so strategic placement of the oil catch pan makes for minimal mess.

Of course this is without a skid plate on since I have the 4x4parts.com one and have to take it off each time :thumbsdown:

Nissan got smart with the VQ R50 and put in a little metal piece that catches the oil that comes out and directs it over the subframe, so strategic placement of the oil catch pan makes for minimal mess.

Of course this is without a skid plate on since I have the 4x4parts.com one and have to take it off each time :thumbsdown:

Even though you have the 4x4 parts skid you can still cut out a square and make your own access panel for it just 2 pieces of flat stock 2 bolts with nuts welded to flat stock and some time.