Noob from Denver

wgiuliani91

I just bought a 91 SE 5 speed for a project. It's got about 200k on it and it shows. This is my first Nissan project and my first 4x4 project, so I am a total noob. My goal (at least for now) is to have a truck for camping/skiing/fishing that I can maintain. I am sure I will be asking a lot of really dumb questions, so please bear with me :wiggle:

So lets get started (I am sure these have been asked a hundred times):

Do you all have a favorite online resource for parts?

Other than the Haynes, any must have books or resources?

Any must have mods?

I pick it up in about 2 hours, can't wait to get started!

Welcome to NPORA, and congrats on the new to you pathy.

There are a few different online resources for parts, for starters you can check out www.4x4parts.com

Books/Resources -- somewhere in the depths of this forum there are Factory Service Manuals available for download. Also, this board is a great resource.

Mods -- You will have to decide what type of lift, tires & protection (skids, sliders, bumpers) fit your needs best.

:welcome:

parts resources...

add the for sale section of NPORA to the mensioned sources(and I'd check there first :whistle: )

info resource..

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26616

(the link to the free FSM download mensioned)

and the search function and question askign abilitys here will be a huge asset

mods?

fuel... then use the thing and see where YOU and YOUR needs for the truck need improvment!

Welcome Bud!! Congrats on the 'new' truck!! I think that model pathfinder is the best all around vehicle in the compact SUV class. It rides well on the road, wheels better than most people know how to use even in stock form and are ultra reliable once a few things are addressed. Thankfully, we know what these things are and make sure new people learn about them. I suggest you take some time and read up on pinned topics in the General and Garage/How To sections, check out the Members Rides section at the bottom of the main page for ideas, and then try to use the search function. While that basic WD21 (86.5-95) didn't change much other than 2 or 4 door, people have worked them into many different levels, from that of the daily commuter to a SAS'd exo-caged rock crawler. :aok:

B

You'd mostly want to concern yourself with the front end stuff. If you're sticking mostly to flat(ish) dirt roads and nothing is worn out you shouldn't have any problems at all. Once you decide to takle a few rough areas, you might want to invest in a stronger center link. My brand new stock one egged out the tie rod holes after about 15 minutes of rough trails.

Great! Thanks for all of the tips.

I did a little snooping around yesterday and came up with a list of things that need to happen first:

1. Oil is dripping on to exhaust after it warms up, coming from an undetermined point on the drivers side of the motor (smokes)

2. Fuel and Temp Gauges don't work (need new dash voltage regulator)

3. Needs a new muffler

4. Anti-lock brake light is on

5. Red "Brake" light is on (top left area of dash)

6. Green 4WD light is always on (bottom right of dash), doesn't matter if I am in 2H/4H/4L. It engages smoothly in all positions.

Less important stuff:

1. Looks like someones cousin installed an after market stereo/amp/sub-woofer, then pulled it out, currently no stereo but wires everywhere (I spent yesterday pulling out wires)

2. Carpet in the back is pretty nasty

3. Drivers seat is pretty nasty

4. Front quarter panel got a pretty good ding in it

5. Same cousin who installed stereo also tinted windows, then peeled half of it off

Any tips/comments/thoughts on the above items are greatly appreciated! Excited to get going on it.

Ok...

#1) Tighten the screws for the valve covers. Don't torque, just snug them down again , I bet that does it.

#2) Write up in the Garage/How To section

#4) Bleed the ABS unit, towards the rear on the inside passenger frame. You may have to gravity bleed it (read:let it drip)

Good luck with the nasties. Someone had a thread about removing old window tint. Tex?? :shrug:

B

Removing the window tint try water with lots of soap, like the one used to hand wash the dishes, and wet it really good to soften the glue.

Then if you have a blade used to clean ceramics stove and remove the crusts without scratching it (hope you know what I mean, my english is not that great :blush02: ), use it to peel the rest off the remaing bits, it won't scratch the windows.

Edited by teixeira

Removing the window tint try water with lots of soap, like the one used to hand wash the dishes, and wet it really good to soften the glue.

Then if you have a blade used to clean ceramics stove and remove the crusts without scratching it (hope you know what I mean, my english is not that great :blush02: ), use it to peel the rest off the remaing bits, it won't scratch the windows.

:goodpost:

That is how I removed the tent from the windows on my pathy that looked like a 3rd grader did the work.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, this a great forum, very active members. :bounce:

I will try tightening the VC bolts when I get home. As for the Voltage Regulator had the dealership order me one (I'm not the electrical type, rather just replace the part), cost is about $50. Probably give the tint removal a try this weekend.

As for the carpet, thinking about replacing all the carpet w/vinyl, anybody used this stuff? Thoughts?

http://info.rockauto.com/ACC/Vinyl.htm

Pics forthcoming.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, this a great forum, very active members. :bounce:

I will try tightening the VC bolts when I get home. As for the Voltage Regulator had the dealership order me one (I'm not the electrical type, rather just replace the part), cost is about $50. Probably give the tint removal a try this weekend.

As for the carpet, thinking about replacing all the carpet w/vinyl, anybody used this stuff? Thoughts?

http://info.rockauto.com/ACC/Vinyl.htm

Pics forthcoming.

I would suggest pulling the carpet and using a thick bed liner. easier to clean stuff doesn't slide around and If ou buy a quality on they have sound deadening.

Noticed a couple more things: When I bought the truck I knew the AC Compressor belt was missing, but I somehow overlooked the fact the idler pulley had also been removed. The compressor doesn't appear to be seized up, so I will try replacing the idler pulley and belt and see if anything.

Some Pics Below:

P1030742.JPG

P1030743.JPG

P1030744.JPG

P1030748.JPG

P1030783.JPG

For the abs light the FSM has a procedure where you can check the codes in the abs computer to find out exactly what is wrong. The link is in the garage section.

That a/c looks like it was unbelted for a while judging by the rust on the pulley. I bet the idler pulley failed and they just cut the belt and removed it. (It's common for that pulley to start making noise)