Pathy ou X?

YUKON

Mission: get to Canada's northern/isolated areas.

Cars: 2000 to 2004 Nissan Xterra 3.3 SOHC

or

2001 to 2004 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 DOHC ?

The X has the off road look, but the Pathy has the better engine.

This is where you comme in : what is the best offrader(I do not care about scratching the paint or lowering the resale price)?

is the pathy better on gas?

I would need a skid plate. Do i make it my self or it is better to buy a ready one?

Lift Kit: what is the best way to do it?

Snorkel: get it home made or buy a ready one?

Tires...?

...?

I am planing on taking off the rear seats to install a permanent flore to sleep in the car(staying away from the animals).

For the last few times i have been traveling with my ACCORD to my sits and all ready ripped off the engine protection plates and the muffler.

I am not about offroading, i just need to get to places where there are no roads. The nest time I'll travel i am going to be on my own in a few hundreds of km sow i need to be sure i get back.

I will make a purchase in a month and a half, all depending on what you tell me to do and how to do it. Please help me fast, i am leaving Edmonton in 5 days and i am not going to have internet or phone connection for the next month, until the contract is not done. Somme pictures of off roading the Honda.

Edited by YUKON

IMO the x is/was the new pathfinder. I mean think about it, they share the same front supension design, steering design and they both share a FRAME with their truck counterpart.

the R50 has no frame, no truck counterpart and a mcpherson strut with R&P steering instead of sticking with its roots.

and then, Pathfinders only got bigger!!!

yes the X is bigger too but not by mutch and its still compact, upgradeable and rugged just like the wd21.

Edited by MY1PATH

Definitely the Xterra. Much better suited for offroading with a full frame (unlike the caR50's unibody and struts), fairly flexy suspension, tons of aftermarket support, decent amount of room, and enough power. As was stated, the VG33 is a strong and reliable engine.

2000 Pathfinder with the 3.3

Wow, one WD21 owner who didn't slam the R50 pathfinder!?

Hi Yukon, Welcome to NPORA.

There are a lot of differences between the R50 (1996-2004) Pathfinder and the Xterra, as some have pointed out above, but both are very good vehicles. We have a 99.5 Pathfinder, and a 2000 Xterra in our driveway.

I think most would say the Xterra is better offroad, they are certainly the more popular choice, and there is quite a bit more aftermarket support for protection & upgrades. That said, I have wheeled my pathfinder with the Xterra club for 5 years now, and I am able to keep up, and in some cases piss people off because I got through in my lowrider pathy.

You can easily lift an Xterra with body and suspension lifts to fit 33" tires. The pathfinder has a 2" lift kit available, which typically allows 32" tires. (of course, there are exception to the rules, and then there are custom kits that can give either truck more lift).

Lifted Xterra's develop steering issues (as the older WD21 pathfinders, they wear), and you will need to upgrade & maintain steering components.

As I mentioned the Xterra does have better aftermarket support for things like skidplates, sliders, bumpers,snorkels as well as lifts and other toys. That said, if you do your homework, you can also outfit the R50 pathfinder.

Size wise, the R50 is larger - a bit longer & wider, which gives it more in cabin space. Although, I have slept in the back of either truck comfortably.

As mentioned the Xterra is a body on frame, which gives it a more "truck like ride", where the caR50 is a unibody, which is a nicer ride on road.

I would suggest you test drive both, and compare for yourself. Good luck with your search.

I would get the Xterra over the r50 (of the year range you specified) just because of the motor. The 3.3 (just like the 3.0 in the old pathys) is a proven motor and I would trust my high mileage VG motor to take me into the middle of nowhere over a VQ just because it has been proven a workhorse.

The r50 steering is actually pretty strong I've never hear of anyone ruining the steering rack, at least on this board. The only weak part IMO is the unibody. But I have heard that adding skids adds to the rigidity

If you do get an xterra first things I would do is beef up the steering(aftermarket CL, heavy duty tie rod adjusters), get some skid plates and some good tires.

They are both great trucks but I lean more towards the xterra because of the motor and body of frame. Also don't get a supercharged one as I have heard they are problematic.

Edited by adamzan

Thanks to you all for the fast response. Yes Pezzy i am going to try all both of them. If I go with the 3.5 R50 what would be the best 2in lift kits that there are there? and getting a rear looking diff, dose it comme with a different gearing ratio, dose it realy help?

You have a choice of the AC lift (4x4parts.com) or the Old Man Enu lift coils. There are a few threads in the R50 section on the lifts.

I don't know too much about the locking diff's, other than ARB makes one for the R50.

a locking differential will make a huge difference (like night and day). especially if the r50 that u get does not have a limited slip diff.

so i would definetly recommend that you look into getting one. manual hubs in the front are also a good idea especially if you are going to run a lift

Honestly it's gonna be personal preference. As stated the Xterra has a full frame compared to a r50 Pathfinder but look around at how some r50 drivers here abuse their non-framed trucks and your concerns can disapate on that front. Aftermarket is proably better for Xterra since they are 'more popular' but still exists for r50s. I would do as suggested... drive both, compare YOUR pros and cons and when you decide there will be plenty of help to get you right where you want it No matter what you chose.

X for better aftermarket support and relatively simple and reliable engine.

Good point.

2000 Pathfinder with the 3.3

Even better.

I think I would lean toward the X but I have not driven one, and I certainly would not rule out an R50 as I 1/2 own one. How it is set up and how you drive it makes as much difference as the chassis type. I would definitely focus on the VG33 motor, regardless. The VQ35 seems decent but the VG is a champ; don't make max HP a consideration.

Oh, and get your Honda out of the creek, you idiot!! :bwack:

B

Other than the stock intake low on the drivers front corner...

Control air intake points and I agree.

B

Which it's not. It intakes up in the wheelwell above the tire. The resonator box and related crap sits low on the front corner.

For aftermarket support, the X for sure.

For capability, who cares. It's 99% driver.

For reliability VG or VQ are both fantastic motors. There have been more reports of issues on the VQ on this forum (mostly power valve screws) but there are just as many high mileage VQ's in the world as VG's.

The steering on a WD21 Pathfinder, or WD22 Xterra sucks one way or another. If you have aftermarket, stronger parts, you'll replace them less often, but you'll replace them. For the R50, the steering is STRONG.

The unibody on the R50 is quite robust, though, look for rust on anything you'd be looking to purchase. Body rust on a unibody affects structure, so make sure she's solid.

I have an 97 R50 had a 2002 X, so here is my 2 cents. I would have bought another X but the cost here was significantly more, for anything in good shape. I travel mostly on old logging roads and goat tracks to get to good spots to fish. Both trucks got me there with not much fuss. The X feels more solid and at least mine sat a little higher than the R50, with a LSD in both I am comfortable going almost anywhere. I have been laughed at by guys in lifted, locked and overpowered trucks but I always seem to get by just fine.

A couple of things support for Gen 1 X's is not that great, there are more options than the R50 but not a boatload.

My supercharger never gave me any issues but you MUST run premium.

Fuel mileage on the R50 is better.

The frame is nice to have but check it very carefully for rust.

One other thing here in BC X's are either in nice shape and expensive, or total junk and cheap, there does not seem to be a nice mid range.

• Like 1

Here's my vote for the WD21.

The xterras are nice but the leaf suspension doesn't work nearly as well as the WD21 linked suspension.

The R50 and X has the larger VG33 but you can drop a VG33 into a WD21.

The R50 has a nice rear suspension but it's unibody and a full frame is preferable.

The aftermarket options do vary between trucks but it all depends on what YOU want want to do with your truck and the type of wheeling you do.

As far as lift and tires? A body lift will probly do.Tires,since you need a nice aggresive tire for traveling where theres no roads,get a Super swamper,tsl,bogger or Trxus(trxus is the cheapest but nearly as good as the tsl)If anyone say anything else there wrong,for a mud tire there isnt a better one out there then the ones offer by interco(superswamper)

As far as lift and tires? A body lift will probly do.Tires,since you need a nice aggresive tire for traveling where theres no roads,get a Super swamper,tsl,bogger or Trxus(trxus is the cheapest but nearly as good as the tsl)If anyone say anything else there wrong,for a mud tire there isnt a better one out there then the ones offer by interco(superswamper)

those tires are loud if your not offroad. They are best suited for mud, snow and other soft terrain but If you want a mud tire that is a little more polite on the street the Nokian Vatiiva MT has been the best tire I ever owned. Mine have served me well on everything but ICE.