My r50 took a poop!

pathblazin420

ok bad news......so stuck the new pump in and changed the filter. I can definetly hear the pump running now.

It started the first time and idled for a few min perfectly so i tried to go up the street and back and as soon i put it in second gear and gave it a lil gas it shut down. EXACT same thing it did the other day. It started up again after a couple tries so i got it back home and after that it would not start at all. :thumbsdown:

So it seems like as soon i give it some throttle it just dies out. I cheched the wire connections on the sender/pump plugs with a test light (couldnt find my volt meter) and two of them seemed kinda dim compared to the other ones.

Im gonna check the codes later tonite when i get home.

Could it be a computer issue?

Maybe one of the sensors?

Kingman: Thats pretty cool man. So i just need to find where the interlock switch is on mine.

It seems that it will only start if its been sitting for a lil while (cold) so the coils might be it.

Edited by pathblazin420

If it is the distributor, and it sounds like it, there's been a slough of people who've had to replace them lately. Strange...

I had to replace mine earlier this year. It developed some play. Symptoms included rough idle and inconsistent rpms. New distributor cured the problem.

Not to thread jack....

but I had a whole bunch of work lined up to do my pathfinder today too and had to sit around instead because it was just waaaaay too hot out. Where I live, it is usually 5-10 degrees cooler then the surrounding areas. It was 102 here. LA Times said it was 113, a new record, in Los Angeles, about 45 minutes from me. Heat wave is supposed to last til Wednesday but I won't have time to do the work again for a while. I'm a sad panda. Good luck getting your issue worked out, to me, it sounds like an ignition problem, not the fuel system.

yeah it was 108 here yesteday! It was crazy

i was all excited thinkin it was finally gettin cold so we could get some snow and then this @!*% happens :wtf:

anyways.... my buddys comin by today with the OBD to check to see if any codes popped up

yeah it does sound like an electrical/dist. problem because i know for a fact im getting fuel up there so thats gotta be it.

is there anyway this could be the alternator or no?

Taro: How much did the distributor run u?

yeah it was 108 here yesteday! It was crazy

i was all excited thinkin it was finally gettin cold so we could get some snow and then this @!*% happens :wtf:

anyways.... my buddys comin by today with the OBD to check to see if any codes popped up

yeah it does sound like an electrical/dist. problem because i know for a fact im getting fuel up there so thats gotta be it.

is there anyway this could be the alternator or no?

Taro: How much did the distributor run u?

Try the JY for about $50 or try distributor king for about $180 brand new,shipped, and lifetime warranty 1-866-699-5464

would you try the dizzy cap first, or go straight for the expensive stuff...

and another thing to check, the TPS on the throttle body, the bolts on mine got loosened, and i had to throw out the whole damn thing and get a JY one, since the adjuster screw had been moved to adjust the idle. :headwall: and it was doing that with the TPS being off. JY body on, problem fixed

ok so we checked the distributor and its arcing but very week. Its more white/yellowish color then the blue/red its supposed to be. So im thinking the coil might be the problem.

Also checked the the wires on the fuel pump and when i just turn the ignition on it shows 12 but when i start cranking it drops down to about 8. I do have an old ass ****** battery in there so that might be it, but I ono.

So can I buy coils separatelty for these or do they sell everything in on piece?

Dont wanna have to spend a bunch if its just the coils or the cap.

Don't be too worried about the voltage while cranking, obviously starters are extremely high draw. A proper load test is the way to tell how well your battery is holding up. 15 seconds, at a draw if 1/2 the cold cranking amps of the battery's rating. Anything below 9.6V or thereabouts at 70F is considered a bad battery.

Yes, that's very weak spark. Maybe hit up a junk yard for a cheap replacement?

i hope it's working out for you. i ended up paying $300 for a new cardone distributor from advance. i started with the remanned one for $280, but for whatever reason i couldn't get it to work. i thought it was the remanned unit and so i just got the new one just in case. the knock sensor is built into this unit as well so i didn't want to have to keep digging into it.

a few notes: for some reason, i couldn't just pop in the new one without having to readjust the timing. then i kept having brain farts about clockwise and counterclockwise and where 0 degrees was. once i got it straight in my head it was simple enough. also, for some reason, about a week after i put the new one in, the connector somehow came loose and showed up as a knock sensor error. i found out it was a loose connector as i was stranded on the side of the highway getting ready to put a hammer to the distributor :O

anyway, i'm sorry you've had such an ordeal with the pathfinder. hope the distributor does the trick. good luck!

it worked!!!!

swapped the new one in.

i just marked where the old one was and lined the new one up and it fired right up!

even runs smoother now!!!

only thing that i messed was i cracked the connector that plus into the distributor. It still goes on there snugly and does move but it doesnt clip in like it used to. I made sure that it doesnt go anywhere untill i can get a new plug.

the other things is that now the SES light is on. I checked it earlier (before i swapped the distributor) and it read the knock sensor and fuel temp codes. I had the knock sensor code go of before and played around with it and it went off. So i dont think its anything serious. The fuel temp one i have no clue about it. I might have messed somethin up when i swapped out the fuel pump, i tried to be very careful with everything so I dont know whats up with that.

Im gonna go by my buddys work tmrw at infinity and have him check the codes.

Edit: Taro: sucks to hear about ur experience. im lucky mine worked right away. all the auto parts stores around here were chargin 250 atleast for a rebuilt one. I got very lucky that i found this place. 99 bucks and 1 year warranty. Delivered to my door the same day by a driver!

Thank god i got it runnin to cuz im leavin for Vegas tmrw night for my girls 21st bday. Wooo Partaaaay!

Edited by pathblazin420

Congrats! Hope you get the fuel temp code figured out and be careful in Vegas!

It was weird about my timing. I had the new distributor oriented the same way as the old one, but when i dropped it in, it shifted about 10 degrees. But when I put the old one back in, it fired up. I suppose there was an easy way to do it, but as usual, I learn the hard way.

• 2 weeks later...

all the codes got rid of themselves but i had a lil high idle issue.

played around with the dist. but didnt do anything so went over to my buddys at infinity and he plugged in his fance OBD and just relearned the idle..........problem solved

thanks for all the help guys

Edited by pathblazin420